Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 14:16   #61
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Something I had posted earlier in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I remember this radio poll conducted by a talk radio station in NJ. They asked the listeners who are better drivers, men or women. Hundreds of men and women called and claimed that their respective gender is better. How could this be? When I listened to their reason, it started to get clear.

1) Men said they are better because they have better skill, drive faster and reach on time.
2) Women said they are better because they are more mature, don't race, drive careful and reach safely.

Both were correct.
Samurai is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:30   #62
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
If we have more women drivers, we will surely have less of signal jumpers, people driving on pavements etc etc.
Guess you haven't seen those young girls zipping around on scootys..
8 out of 10 scootys overspeed (40-50kph is the speed limit for 2 wheelers in city roads)
and 9/10 scooty drivers wear no helmet.

Maybe 'newbie women' drivers are extra cautious as you say, but once they learn the trick they can be as 'good' or as 'worse' as men.
Daewood is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:34   #63
BHPian
 
furioussphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 536
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

It was fun reading the entire thread.

To put it all generally, calling a driver as bad has many notions. Many people call me a rash driver, I agree that am fast but I always use indicators, my mirrors, lane regulations, horn judiciously and never do abrupt close sharp overtakings. So if someone calls me a fast driver, i agree but call me a rash driver, i object.

Similarly just because someone is slow on the pedal doesnt make him/her a perfect driver, I have hordes of examples where people drive yapping on the phone, eating, adjusting ice, looking at billboards, etc.

Coming to girls vs guys, oh cmon! Lets not be kids now. Majority of the crowd on the streets is male infested and definitely we have quite a good number of brainless bad drivers like the cab guys, and many other people. I have a few in my own friends circle too who drive without helmet, yap on the phone and even text while on the move! I did try to brainwash them but it just doesnt work like that. But to be frank, I feel the ratio of bad women drivers is sadly on the higher side. First of all, I hardly know just a few girls who drive cars and trust me, they are very nervous and are definitely bad drivers and when I try to correct them, they snap back at me. One thing I can talk about are the college female crowd on their 1000cc peps and activas. No helmets but instead a scarf wrapped around like a ninja, ear phones plugged in, shades on and weaving through the traffic like valentino rossi. Sure thing you have john abrahams in this category too but am pointing out to the girls right now. I know a zillion girls who refuse to wear a helmet with lame reasons like hair getting spoilt, claustrophobic, etc and they have the mirror either pointing to their face or to the rear passenger. Legs down at slow speeds to balance and over confident that they could get away with cops. There are very few in this categories who are sensible drivers and follow safety not only for themselves but for others too.

If only people respected other's safety and used a little bit of their comon sense, everyone would have been a good driver.
furioussphinx is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:36   #64
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

I know very few women drivers but all of them are very good drivers, infact they are much better drivers than me. Also, all the things that women have been criticised as doing on the road while driving, in this thread, are done by many men too. It's just that we see a driver doing a mistake and when we see it's a woman, we tend to remember it, because there are so few women drivers around on our roads. When we see a man doing the same mistake, we just think he is just another moron like the millions of others on our road.
I think reading the comments on the thread from people who think women drivers are bad, I could understand why the OP started this thread.
Newpunter is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:43   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default

Interesting post. And like the minority here, I do not really find anything offensive in it. Just plain humourous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta
FLAT TYRES : I admit, we are NOT too good at it; but are learning to do this with minimal help
Last weekend, I was showing my sis and BIL how to change tyres. Both drive, but don't know how to change a flat. Just to reinforce the lesson, we ended up doing a 5-tyre rotation and from my observation, my sister was better at it than my BIL. She even surprised me by taking notes in the car log-book about the order of doing the tyre change - engage handbrake, ensure car in gear, loosen wheel-nuts a bit with tyre-spanner, position jack, lift car, etc etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta
don't stare at us on the road. Do you see us staring at all men on the road??
This is the only point where I disagree with you. Its just a harmless stare, meant mostly to convey our appreciation of your looks. Ignore and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live
This is third time I am seeing ladies using accelerator instead of brakes.
While teaching my wife to drive, my main worry was her ramming the accelerator instead of the brakes and hitting someone. But it did not happen even once. And to think that my first accident was due to ramming the A-pedal instead of the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez!
I'm a bad driver
Man, gotta appreciate you because not many of us would acknowledge that we are bad drivers.

BTW, I dont think women are bad drivers or men are better at driving. Just that if I see a woman-driven car behind my car, I ensure that I drive away as soon as possible, to avoid another hit on my Baleno's pretty rear. :-)

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th July 2010 at 14:46.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:53   #66
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Post

I guess it just depends on when you start driving! If a woman/man learns driving at a young age (usually), they will be equally good. Most of the women in india learn driving pretty late in their life and I guess thats the reason for their driving skills! In fact I know a lot of women who are pretty good drivers!

My wife drives the safari. She too has observed a lot of women drivers who have been pretty bad and says the following: "I am just not one of them when it comes to driving !".. Btw, she is a pretty good driver and can park the truck at places where probably I could just think of.

This is a funny debate. I have seen many guys who drive like idiots in the city and on the highway they are even worse as they drive the way they drive in the city!
Anyways the best till date that i've seen is:
A Lady driving a "L-board" car slowly on the middle of the road while speaking on her mobile phone! I had a laugh as I could see a convoy following her when the road in front of her was empty and I mean EMPTY!

Btw, clicked this some where near HSR:
Attached Thumbnails
On behalf of women drivers !!!!!!!-20100710_001.jpg  

bantejas is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:55   #67
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Interesting thread, brings in a different perspective, which is definitely welcome and much wanted.
However, too much generalizations being made by OP and the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I guess most newbies make the same mistake, be it a guy or a gal. However, in a male dominated country like india, a stranded lady sticks out like a sore thumb and thus we observe.

Some folks hate women drivers on road, I hate 'L' boards on road. But thats a personal choice. But it surely doesnt mean that all 'L' boards are horrible drivers. Percepetion is a very complex thing.Its an extremely uphill task to change the perception. I guess its only upto us rednecks to get out of this mindframe and look things from a different angle.

I believe that this is more deeeply rooted wherein guys are made to play with toy cars and guns and gals play with dolls. Not sure what the outcome would have been if we had reversed the process...
+1, valid points

I think, most of the notions about women drivers are because there are so less of them on road.
If all things were equal, there wouldn't be this debate.

I personally have seen more young college kids driving rashly and ignoring rules than young girls. Or more rash cab drivers to outnumber entire 'bad women drivers'. The percentage of bad women drivers may be more (no enough evidence than hearsay), but not all those potential good women drivers get a chance to drive.
SilentEngine is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 14:58   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am yet to see a woman driver responding (in any kind of way - good or bad) to a vehicle approaching from behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Anyways the best till date that i've seen is:
A Lady driving a "L-board" car slowly on the middle of the road while speaking on her mobile phone! I had a laugh as I could see a convoy following her when the road in front of her was empty and I mean EMPTY!
Btw, clicked this some where near HSR:
See, that's what I was talking about!!

Another point: Women doesn't really enjoy driving. They see it as a burden. Some of them are scared of it. My wife knows how to drive and she has driven quite a few times but all the time she's scared of oncoming vehicles or narrow roads, potholes etc. I had a hard time explaining why you have to downshift to overtake in certain scenarios.

Women in general are not passionate about driving like most of the men. If one is not passionate about something, he/she cannot excel in that as a passionate person would. (Disclaimer: There are exceptions)

Last edited by clevermax : 28th July 2010 at 15:15.
clevermax is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 15:00   #69
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
I guess it just depends on when you start driving! If a woman/man learns driving at a young age (usually), they will be equally good. Most of the women in india learn driving pretty late in their life and I guess thats the reason for their driving skills!
I think that is a very good point. But on the other hand, I learnt driving very late and I don't think I'm that bad .
Newpunter is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 15:14   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Guess you haven't seen those young girls zipping around on scootys..
8 out of 10 scootys overspeed (40-50kph is the speed limit for 2 wheelers in city roads)
and 9/10 scooty drivers wear no helmet.


Women drive well. Girls don't. Agree with scooty thing.

OT:

A friend rides a Dio which isn't serviced for the past 3 years and god knows how many kilometers. Clearly a bad rider/driver.
sachinj12 is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 15:15   #71
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think that is a very good point. But on the other hand, I learnt driving very late and I don't think I'm that bad .
I wouldn't deny that. Well there's a cousin of mine who's started driving when she was 35. When she was 38 she went to leh and came back! She went there around in 1996/98! Single driving with 3 adults: all of them senior citizens not above 75 in her tata indica!!
bantejas is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 15:38   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
MaserQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Ignorance and ego are the bane of bad drivers and it tends to afflict female and male drivers respectively, in varying degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
You can attribute it to Peripheral vision.
Women have perfected peripheral vision down to an art form. We need to learn a thing or two from women when it comes to subtle staring.

If only they would use their substantial peripheral vision skills a bit more while looking out for other motorists and/or into their own ORVMS! (for motoring reasons)
MaserQ is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 17:06   #73
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Guess you haven't seen those young girls zipping around on scootys..
8 out of 10 scootys overspeed (40-50kph is the speed limit for 2 wheelers in city roads)
and 9/10 scooty drivers wear no helmet.

Maybe 'newbie women' drivers are extra cautious as you say, but once they learn the trick they can be as 'good' or as 'worse' as men.
In my 10+ years of bangalore driving i have rarely seen those, yes they are there but never had a lady bang my rear view( maybe cause anyways the ratio is less). Helmet is a debatable topic, i don't care if they wear a helmet, its their head but i care if they jump a signal, that for me is tantamount to attempted murder( knowingly jumping a signal is taking risk on others life)
mkh is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 17:15   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

This thread is hilarious. Based on all the discussions which are happening here, I think we can come to the conclusion that 'the majority of the minority are bad drivers and 'the majority (debated) of the majority are also bad drivers'. So, in a country like India good drivers (both men and women included) are a minority. What say? Ain't this true??

This thread reminds me of an incident. When my mom started driving a few years back, my dad would not let her take the car alone. He used to go with her everytime she took the car. After a few days, he asked me to accompany her on her drive. Then came the defining moment. Just a kilometer from my home I asked her to stop. I got into the driving seat and drove back home. That was the first and last time that I sat in a car with her driving. Now I knew why my dad asked me accompany her, no questions asked. Btw, my mom still gets angry with me when this issue is raised. I know I'm biased, but still....

Last edited by addyhemmige : 28th July 2010 at 17:18.
addyhemmige is offline  
Old 28th July 2010, 17:16   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Be positive ! They might be staring for a reason, either the woman is beautiful or driving really bad (most of the time this is the reason).

I stare at lot of maniacs (both men & women) who suddenly creep in out of nowhere, start blocking my way, crazy maneuvering etc, atleast to make them realize they aren't driving good.
That was the best post in the whole thread.

I dont want to miss a good looking lady pass by, do I? And I also stare at the other jokers and morons, as Krishna said( I even would like to make faces at them)

Whatever may be the reality, the upside is that the notion of bad female drivers created a lot of jokes - like Sardarji and Blonde Jokes. So who cares what is the reality??
mallumowgli is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lone Women Drivers in Delhi. Be Alert. I am still too shocked. Sugeeta Street Experiences 143 19th September 2013 10:20
Views invited from all SUV experts & women drivers Sugeeta SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 37 8th March 2011 14:07
Some funny pics of Women drivers epyupc Shifting gears 45 5th April 2010 15:03
Attitude & reactions towards women drivers on Indian roads civ4647 Street Experiences 45 3rd February 2009 09:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks