Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th November 2005, 09:58   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
The fact that JC owns (and has owned in the past) a whole bunch of Mercs and is seriously considering the M5 prooves the fact that he is not biased against non-british cars. But yes he is biased towards British cars.
His comments generally sound biased towards British cars, but, if you go through his videos, you'll find that he has had a go at every manufacturer - Bentley, Aston, Jaguar, TVR, etc. He has also given Asian cars the credit they deserve - Skyline, EVO, Impreza, NSX, etc. And despite his comments, no one can deny the fact that he has high regard for German cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th November 2005 at 10:10.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 10:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Oh yeah, big loud Blackpool TVRs and Lotus too. He can't stand MG Rover.
Says who? ULTIMATELY he says they're good fun and have that 'special something' (whatever that means) to make them great sports cars...take the recent show (dont remember when exactly but sometime in the last couple of months) where he went bonkers over an MG Sports, which is basically a Rover 75 with a FORD MUSTANG engine...yes, the very Mustang he has ripped to pieces elsewhere. The tub of lard says that SOMEHOW in THIS car, that engine becomes really fun to drive

BAH!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 09:41   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Says who? ULTIMATELY he says they're good fun and have that 'special something' (whatever that means) to make them great sports cars...take the recent show (dont remember when exactly but sometime in the last couple of months) where he went bonkers over an MG Sports, which is basically a Rover 75 with a FORD MUSTANG engine...yes, the very Mustang he has ripped to pieces elsewhere. The tub of lard says that SOMEHOW in THIS car, that engine becomes really fun to drive

BAH!
yoh thats what! I just said he is a 10 std pass ? at tech stuff ( read pistons, camshafts, bhp, torque, cylinders etc.) Well, I have proof this time He said that in a show ( not his! ).

And about bikes, didnt I say thers an online petition going on against him for what he said about bikes? JC is from a pre-WWII era. Grow-up JC, Brits dont make any brit cars these days.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 23:32   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

got something for crdi owners!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...d=1#post145435
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpo...35&postcount=5 (Review: 2006 HYUNDAI ACCENT)

peace!
Old 24th November 2005, 23:58   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Thereís something Iíve found out as well. If you buy a Hyundai, or any car from that part of the world, you will be seen as a bore. Invitations will dry up, your kids will refuse to speak to you, your wife will sleep with your friends and you may end up committing suicide.
ROFLMAO, this guy is too much, no wonder steeroid hates him so much
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 14:57   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

What did I tell ! Would anyone of us talk like that? Thats why is hate Germy Clarkyinson. Maybe he was born to some hardcore brit dad who was ther in India during 1887.
Old 25th November 2005, 15:10   #67
Team-BHP Support

Over the past couple of days I watched various topgear videos with JC commenting on the cars. Based on his comments I came to the following conclusion
1. If a car is affordable(10-12000 pounds range) and non european and actually good and they cant find any bad thing with it, he will say "ordinary" and generally make fun
2. A 100000 Pound Supercar, no matter how bad will get phrases like wohoho
3. If its an aston Martin, then its the best no matter. When compared against Ferrari 575, both JC and Damon hill agreed ferrari was better, but then in the end had to put something like Aston sounds better, or people like you more if you have an aston. this guy is a sucker on Aston martins. He once put an aston martin in 4th gear at standstill and started accelerating all the way to 130mph. MAde a big deal. Any good high performance car will do it. Heck even Accent crdi can start in 4th gear and go upto top speed. My indica can start in third gear and go upto 80kmhp without fuss.
4.If the car had some british legacy accociated with it(rover etc.,) its a masterpiece, no matter how crap. Heck I bet if rover had bought the design to Tata indica and made it in england he would have called it a masterpiece too.

But why is he still there? Well he is entertaining. None of the auto shows, be it CNBC with hormazd, or the Autobahn on NDTV etc., are entertaining. The hosts are drab and uninvolved. You will see one guy driving on a straight road and saying amazing pickup. Even the Tata guys had DICOR powersliding in the "relcaim your life" advert, then why do these autoshow guys make it so drab.
Contrast it with top gear. Katie price did a round in Suzuki liana which had the car powersliding skidding and ripping its tyres. She did not make it to top shot time(which was by another supermodel) but it was entertaining.
Did you see the drifting sessions? that was wow. Watching those japanese guys going sideways in a road car. Thats what makes top gear fun, which is very very lacking in any other show. Thats why topgear rulez and JC is the king, though a very evil one
Old 25th November 2005, 15:27   #68
BHPian

I agree JC is biased towards the british cars but in recent show when they compared Aston martin V8 vantage with M6 and Porsche 911, he actually chose the M6 as his choice and James and Richard picked the 911 and surprisingly no one liked the Aston.
Those japanese drifters were amazing and really these are what makes Top gear very entertaining to watch.
Don't miss the top gear episode this weekend as they will be giving out the results of Top gear survey 2005.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 15:48   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
O

4.If the car had some british legacy accociated with it(rover etc.,) its a masterpiece, no matter how crap. Heck I bet if rover had bought the design to Tata indica and made it in england he would have called it a masterpiece too.

Did you see the drifting sessions? that was wow. Watching those japanese guys going sideways in a road car. Thats what makes top gear fun, which is very very lacking in any other show. Thats why topgear rulez and JC is the king, though a very evil one
it was sold in the UK and was called City Rover.
Old 25th November 2005, 15:50   #70
Team-BHP Support

Yes it was, but it was Made In India and just marketed by Rover, thats the difference. If Rover had assembled it the way Tata Did, they would have called it wonderful
Old 25th November 2005, 15:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Astons are great cars, theres no doubt about it.
He just overrates them. All the time.

Except with the one Aston he should have raved about, he didnt. The V8 Vantage certainly desreevd a much better review than it got.

But I was horrified yesterday on watching his Porsche Cayman test.
He makes a good point baout how they tuned the car down on purpose, but how could he not like the looks? The whole world seems to like the looks, whats his problem? Its at times like these that one realises that his aim sometimes is just to have a different opinion from the others, no matter how crazy that opinion is.

Still, a rather entertaining chap, unless he's making fun of somehting you swear by...
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 16:03   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Yes it was, but it was Made In India and just marketed by Rover, thats the difference. If Rover had assembled it the way Tata Did, they would have called it wonderful
the question is... Will he find it out? I doubt about it.
Old 25th November 2005, 17:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
the question is... Will he find it out? I doubt about it.
There was a show when they tested the City Rover.

In fact on the show they mentioned that when they told the Rover dealer who they were and that they wanted to test the car, the dealer flatly refused to allow them to test it!

So they did a sort of hidden camera review where they posed as a potential buyer and took the test car for a spin.

Their comments were something !!! And they ended the test on a not that the City Rover was India's way of getting back at the British for ruling us in the past!
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 22:55   #74
BHPian

Well for me JC is okay kinda person, as I have said in an earlier post even if you want to hate him you will eventually tend to like him!
ArmourOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005, 09:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

I go through phases of liking and hating him. Right now, I hate him for his absolutely crappy opinion about the Cayman's loks. He seems to be the only guy who actually hates the looks.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote