Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th November 2005, 23:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default The people V/S Jeremy Clarkson

Just read this today. http://news.independent.co.uk/people...icle326741.ece

Over the years, he has managed to annoy pretty much everyone who can be annoyed. But he is one of the best auto hacks around, and even the greens admit that he does carry considerable clout.

On another note, his book, The World According to Jeremy Clarkson, is on the top of the Sunday Times bestselling lists (general). It has sold about half a million copies already.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 23:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from the Admin : Post deleted. Please post in full and proper english. I suggest reading the board rules before proceeding any further
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 00:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
But he is one of the best auto hacks around, and even the greens admit that he does carry considerable clout.
Most infamous / notorious does not necessarily mean best. As a journalist he sucks because a journalist is supposed to be objective and unbiased while neither of those words exist in his dictionary.

If flamboyance and the ability to be in the news for the wrong reasons is the sole criteria for greatness, Juan Pablo Montoya is the greatest F1 driver of all time.

In my not-so-humble opinion, Clarkson is a snooty brit illegitimate love-child and a very loud-mouthed and self-centered one at that.

Last edited by ported_head : 14th November 2005 at 00:25.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 01:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
If flamboyance and the ability to be in the news for the wrong reasons is the sole criteria for greatness, Juan Pablo Montoya is the greatest F1 driver of all time.
stop it right there

Quote:
Most infamous / notorious does not necessarily mean best. As a journalist he sucks because a journalist is supposed to be objective and unbiased while neither of those words exist in his dictionary.
Quote:
In my not-so-humble opinion, Clarkson is a snooty brit illegitimate love-child and a very loud-mouthed and self-centered one at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
1. he made fun of bikers and thers a online petition against him going on
2. he is happy tht he just knws to change tyres and donno a c*4p about engine and whatever goes under the hood.
its his show
does it annoys you?
don't watch/read his show/article

Quote:
3. he hates asian cars. $%^&, i better stop
after driving cars like SLK, GT40 day in day out anyone will hate asian cars

Quote:
4. his name annoys me alot!
deal with it

Quote:
6. did i tell you? i hate him ( i respected him a lot and wished to be him once, but not after i saw an episode in which he made fun of some cars...accent crdi, present optra (it was a daewoo when he did tht program etc etc)
I think by this time everyone has figured that out

Quote:
7. heard abt teh(EDIT: the) mess he made to that ford he brought?
his car, he can do whatever he wants with it
we are in no way to comment on it
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 02:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
its his show
does it annoys you?
It may be HIS show, but its broadcast for public consumption on a public channel - would be different if it were a DVD which you had to buy. I dont watch his shows/read his articles unless I'm really really bored and cant find any other automotive or other English language reading/viewing material, in any case. This usually happens to me in certain parts of Africa.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th November 2005 at 02:20.
Old 14th November 2005, 07:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why do you people talke him so seriously?

If you want unbiased opinions and proper reporting, watch fifth Gear or buy Autocar.

I respect the guy because he makes me laugh, if the people whom he pokes fun at dont know how to take a harmless joke, then thats very bad indeed.

BBC know that viewers only watch Topgear to have a good laugh and see what critisicms he could hurl at the next new car.

Just chill, people!!!!
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 07:50   #7
BHPian

He is irresponsible with his comments and that coupled with his unique presentation style (nasty quotes!) has give him all this undue publicity.

I dont take his shows seriously but still watch them bcos they entertain me and some time you like to hear someone bad mouthing anything and everything that is out there. Things i do to get myself entertained
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 09:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
I respect the guy because he makes me laugh, if the people whom he pokes fun at dont know how to take a harmless joke, then thats very bad indeed.

BBC know that viewers only watch Topgear to have a good laugh and see what critisicms he could hurl at the next new car.

Just chill, people!!!!

JC knows he is an entertainer and does not pretend to be anything else. His views are not to be taken seriously, AND they arent, and he knows that. Most of his jabs are for fun.

@steeroid : By one of the best, I meant one who entertains me(or anyone) the most. Hence even in the Indian context, I think Bijoy and his gang are the best ones around.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 09:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
stop it right there

its his show
does it annoys you?

after driving cars like SLK, GT40 day in day out anyone will hate asian cars

deal with it

I think by this time everyone has figured that out

his car, he can do whatever he wants with it
we are in no way to comment on it
i am dealing with it. its just my personal opinion and ther was no need to get so excited abt it .

and i saw a morning show when i was in UK and he said some of teh things i said above in it.

i am an Indian and an Asian, and maybe hence i couldnt stand him. thats all.

peace!
Old 14th November 2005, 09:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The bottomline is, you will not find any other journalist who can shoot the complete information about a car so humourously.

IMO, About he being biased, hating asian cars, well if a car is a best seller in our country, that would not mean it has to be good. Compared to the quality of the cars produced in Europe,ofcourse the quality of cars produced in Asia is pathetic.

I am sure that most of the people love TOPGEAR just because of him.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 09:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
The bottomline is, you will not find any other journalist who can shoot the complete information about a car so humourously.

IMO, About he being biased, hating asian cars, well if a car is a best seller in our country, that would not mean it has to be good. Compared to the quality of the cars produced in Europe,ofcourse the quality of cars produced in Asia is pathetic.

I am sure that most of the people love TOPGEAR just because of him.
ther he is ..ther! teh pic!

In the episode that i was talkig to abt, he had some 23-26 asian cars frm those protons to kia to daewoo and of course hyundai. alright some cars wher of very bad built quality. but anyway, he was making a damn lot of fun( you can download teh video ) of soem cars. (pssst, knw what he didnt even wanna sit in tht daewoo optra ) and said crdi was moving in a snails pace! and that you can beat it if you were walking.

alrighty, then in the end, our hyundai getz was the winner of the lot. and he said why buy an asian when we haev our own brit cars with that money !

i thought i will phone him and ask him to show one brit car that was truly brit for that money. somebody tell him taht crdi churns out 80plus bhp with 3 pot! and its a merc tech.

Last edited by jkdas : 14th November 2005 at 09:42. Reason: one extra smiley; deleted it
Old 14th November 2005, 12:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may be HIS show, but its broadcast for public consumption on a public channel - would be different if it were a DVD which you had to buy. I dont watch his shows/read his articles unless I'm really really bored and cant find any other automotive or other English language reading/viewing material, in any case. This usually happens to me in certain parts of Africa.
Again its his show, he is hosting the show nobody is forcing you to watch it

Quote:
i am dealing with it. its just my personal opinion and ther was no need to get so excited abt it .

and i saw a morning show when i was in UK and he said some of teh things i said above in it

nobody is getting excited, I just can't sit & take crap thats it

Quote:
In the episode that i was talkig to abt, he had some 23-26 asian cars frm those protons to kia to daewoo and of course hyundai. alright some cars wher of very bad built quality. but anyway, he was making a damn lot of fun( you can download teh video ) of soem cars. (pssst, knw what he didnt even wanna sit in tht daewoo optra ) and said crdi was moving in a snails pace! and that you can beat it if you were walking.

alrighty, then in the end, our hyundai getz was the winner of the lot. and he said why buy an asian when we haev our own brit cars with that money !
I have seen that episode, I think Stratos has too
I repeat again its his (JC's) show, he is reviewing cars
Besides how many European spec European made cars have you driven to comment that Asian cars are better
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 13:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i thought i will phone him and ask him to show one brit car that was truly brit for that money.
Dont waste your money - there are no brit cars other than the occassional TVR...even that may be owned by the Chinese for all you know.

@ Stratos - "quality of cars produced in asia is pathetic" is a rather sweeping statement, but then you worship the dunce so it isnt surprising.

Quote:
I respect the guy because he makes me laugh,
In other words,he's a clown. I agree.

Quote:
if the people whom he pokes fun at dont know how to take a harmless joke, then thats very bad indeed.
His jokes arent harmless, and there are many who take his word for the gospel truth. Besides, I dont find anything funny about a person bemeaning all the products that dont come from the United States of Europe. Lets not confuse chauvinism with humour.

All said and done, we're not likely to come to an agreement on this topic. Close it - its not worth the trouble.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th November 2005 at 13:42.
Old 14th November 2005, 13:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont waste your money - there are no brit cars other than the occassional TVR...even that may be owned by the Chinese for all you know.
By the Russians actually, some billionaire kid, made his riches by oil I think, vroom vrooms in a RUF.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2005, 14:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

oh romanov? or so? teh guy who bought chelsea?