Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th August 2010, 09:17   #1
BHPian

Default Are all lottery shows/contests rigged/pre-decided ?E.g "Ticket to Play " pogo.tv

Hi
I was wondering if all the contests/shows are rigged. Its purely a personal observation.

Eg. Recently I bought a Mattel Toy. It had a coupon called "Ticket to Play " wherein you SMS a scratch card number to 58558 and probably you can win some toys, courtesy pogo.tv

Winners can be found on the website www.pogo.tv

So today, when I went to the website to have a look, just for the heck of it, what I found surprised me.

http://www.pogo.tv/docs/Mattel_Winne...%20daywise.xls

All the winners have been finalised even though the contest is open till Aug 15 2010. If you look at the attached excel file, downloaded from the link attached, each day winners till Aug 15 2010 have already been decided, even before the day has come [ it has daily winners ]. Don't you think its a bit wierd and rigged issue. If they wanted to pre-decide hte winners, then why to have the contest at all ?

Just my thoughts though.

Thanks a ton for your attention

Note to Mods : If any thread exists on similar topic, kinldy merge with the same, Couldnt locate it.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Mattel_Winners List daywise.xls (86.5 KB, 779 views)
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 09:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse they are; its like one of the other thread on the TV shows that we were discussing & I came to know that the TV shows makes a huge volume of business only through SMS. Winners are for name sake & have been decided already who're relatives & friends of the organizers & their knowns. My sincere advice would be, never watch these reality shows, except for a few, even if you watch, never encourage by sending SMS that costs almost 2-3 times the regular cost.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 10:59   #3
BHPian

This was my first experience on the real-time contests, hence wanted to share with you.

Thanks for your reply
Old 10th August 2010, 13:24   #4
BHPian

Rigged or not, there is no proof. But now you have an opportunity to sue them
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 13:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not really.

I entered a Hot Wheels competition a few years back and won an F1 trackset. Those things are pretty expensive since the track occupied my whole room after I assembled it. And although it said competition, it was more of a lucky draw type thing
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 13:37   #6
BHPian

Do not send SMS to participate in such lotteries. Not that you pay 3 rupees instead of 0.50, but your number goes to all these spammers. Who knows you can afford to buy a mattel toy (this information is very valuable to spammers, they have no use of my maid's number, for example). Long ago I've written about the cheat model and associated risks at: The space age lottery @ Hacking | Photography | Bird-Watching
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Proof. I believe the attached link and the excel file is the proof enough.

I was wondering about their work ethics and integrity in business. If they want to be in business like this, then there is not point further
Old 10th August 2010, 13:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Most of these TV lotteries are bogus.

However, can't say the same about genuine contests.

Myself, had won a Sansui 29 inch CRT monitor in a newspaper contest held by the Hindustan Times, around 5-6 years back.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik
Not that you pay 3 rupees instead of 0.50, but your number goes to all these spammers
This is the most important factor to consider. I don't want someone sending an SMS for services that I don't use to keep spamming my message inbox. These guys will not protect the privacy & will make a good money on selling the numbers too.

PS - I'm trying to get another thread that was being posted several days ago regarding the T.V reality show & someone unable to get through the number. There were good points & advices given over there.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

aargee: You mean this one right: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...er-minute.html
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Proof. I believe the attached link and the excel file is the proof enough.

I was wondering about their work ethics and integrity in business. If they want to be in business like this, then there is not point further
I should have worded better.
Rigged or not, there was no proof till now. But now you have an opportunity to sue them.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote