Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 20:57   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
So how're the career opportunities for non-IIT engineers ? Do they get the same career growth as IITians ?
Wow, that's a loaded question.

Considering I am from a 4th tier (I think) college belonging to Bangalore University, I never had the use of college pedigree. The only time it affected me was for the first job when I had nothing on my resume, not even good marks. I had to completely depend on my own ability than "Hey, I am from XXX". Two decades later, I can definitely say non-IITians will be able to put food on the table. May be even have a career growth paralleling or exceeding n average IITian. Eventually it all depends on the ability of the person.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:01   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I can definitely say non-IITians will be able to put food on the table. May be even have a career growth paralleling or exceeding n average IITian. Eventually it all depends on the ability of the person.
+1 what Samurai said. being an IITian can get one person faster to the interview table. or at max into the first job, after that what takes him further is his real abilities and attitude.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:28   #18
BHPian
 
WhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had to completely depend on my own ability than "Hey, I am from XXX".
Recently, I had been dining out with my friend. We had a chance meeting with my friend's schoolmate-let's call him Z. Interestingly, in the conversation they had, Mr. Z used a certain so called top-tier Engineering college's name at least 10 times.

Now, Mr Z is atleast 38. So many years after he passed out of certain top-tier College, he still feels the need to use his College's name, guess how poor his career had been against his own expectation.

PS; I got an interview call. The lady on the call said "This is for a Company started by XXT and XXM graduates". My obvious reaction was, how does it matter to me? I'd rather want to know what the company does, what they are planning to do and how do I fit in. Suffice to say that the conversation did not last

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 18th August 2010 at 21:31.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:47   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
RECs are great, no doubt about that. But hardly anyone leaves an IIT seat for a seat in an REC.
I have seen both types in this year's admission. My nephew had the IIT in his sights from class VIII. He was admitted in a school that specializes in integrated IIT programme (Maharishi Vidyashram) after class X. He got through the IIT JEE with a rank of 1858, so could not get the subject he was after - computer science, and was offered Engineering Physics at IIT Delhi.

He scored 50+ rank in the AEEE exam and was given B'Tech Computer science at NIT Trichy in the first list itself. He also scored 342 in the BITS entrance exam, and got admission in both Pilani and Goa. But he never even glanced at anything else and has joined IIT Delhi happily. Classes have commenced two weeks go.

Another case was my colleague's son. Same story as above - could not get comp science in IIT, so accepted the same subject at NIT Trichy. He is equally happy, to each his own. But just consider the rank these boys got in the IIT and AEEE exams - that speaks volumes about the selection standard IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
So how're the career opportunities for non-IIT engineers ? Do they get the same career growth as IITians ?
I will not say they won't. But at a certain point in your career, if three peers are in contention for a plum post, and you happen to be the only one from IIT / IIM,(or an equally good engineering school - not XYZ college from Timbucktoo district) you will absolutely have an edge. Don't think only in terms of IT companies, they are not the whole world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
+1 what Samurai said. being an IITian can get one person faster to the interview table. or at max into the first job, after that what takes him further is his real abilities and attitude.
To some extent what you say can be true, but it is more an exception than the rule.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th August 2010 at 22:06.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 01:45   #20
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, that's a loaded question.

Considering I am from a 4th tier (I think) college belonging to Bangalore University, I never had the use of college pedigree. The only time it affected me was for the first job when I had nothing on my resume, not even good marks. I had to completely depend on my own ability than "Hey, I am from XXX". Two decades later, I can definitely say non-IITians will be able to put food on the table. May be even have a career growth paralleling or exceeding n average IITian. Eventually it all depends on the ability of the person.
So all IIT does is give you a head start in the race, and any non-IITian good enough can beat you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Don't think only in terms of IT companies, they are not the whole world.
Not IT companies, sir, just an engineering career. I've always had passion for only machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But just consider the rank these boys got in the IIT and AEEE exams - that speaks volumes about the selection standard
The skills required for clearing JEE are a tad different from other exams. Maintaining mental balance, concentration and energy for a stretch of 8 hours (3 hours Paper I, 3 hours paper 2, 90 minutes break) for instance.

Last edited by anku94 : 19th August 2010 at 01:50.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:15   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I think I agree to what samurai says. The tag can get you started quicker in a race but what takes you ahead is one's own abilities.

Sadly in India, the capability / intelligence of a person is adjudged by the number of degrees the person has and the institute from where those degrees came from.
So for most of India's people, a person from IIT is a super intelligent person and the rest are crap.

Just my view.
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:53   #22
BHPian
 
deepaktpatil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KA 05, MH 10
Posts: 282
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are absolutely wrong, they don't have industry exposure. Never change branches for want of pedigree. I have seen enough people who made that mistake.
Absolutely true, go where your heart wants to go and not head. You wont regret it for rest of your life.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 19th August 2010 at 10:00.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:54   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But he never even glanced at anything else and has joined IIT Delhi happily. Classes have commenced two weeks go.

Another case was my colleague's son. Same story as above - could not get comp science in IIT, so accepted the same subject at NIT Trichy. He is equally happy, to each his own.
This is a very good example of how different people approach a career. The first guy obviously has no interest in engineering, he wants the IIT tag for whatever next step is he planning.

The second guy wants to be a comp science engineer, and nothing else.

I used to have lots of classmates who used to write both medical and engineering entrance exams. That used to bother me a lot. But now I understand that lots of people don't care what career they will have as long as it is a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I will not say they won't. But at a certain point in your career, if three peers are in contention for a plum post, and you happen to be the only one from IIT / IIM,(or an equally good engineering school - not XYZ college from Timbucktoo district) you will absolutely have an edge. Don't think only in terms of IT companies, they are not the whole world.
You mean the 3 peers are measured only by their alumni affiliations and not by their current qualities? I'd leave that company as fast as possible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
To some extent what you say can be true, but it is more an exception than the rule.
Not really. I have worked with lots of IITians during my corporate stint, and most of them could never outperform the rest even marginally. Only thing that set them apart was they all let us know they were from IIT pretty much in the first meeting. I guess none of them were the cream of IIT, if not why were they working along with me.

The only exceptions I have seen are my boss and some of his friends, who are all from IIT-KGP 1975 batch. They never push their IIT tag in your face and don't have the IIT chip on the shoulder.

Here is a good way to identify a capable & self-confident IITian... he won't bother telling you he is an IITian unless you ask him/her to name the college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
So all IIT does is give you a head start in the race, and any non-IITian good enough can beat you ?
Yes. Please understand that a non-IITian is not some brain-dead vermin with below 50 IQ. And I have known quite a few IITians who used to get beaten by good enough non-IITians. One becomes an IITian based on IIT-JEE score. Real life has many other ways of measuring ability and bestowing success. And thank god for that.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th August 2010 at 11:07.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:55   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
Sadly in India, the capability / intelligence of a person is adjudged by the number of degrees the person has and the institute from where those degrees came from.
Do you think a person from an ivy league college and another from an ordinary one will be viewed the same in the USA?

Last edited by Gansan : 19th August 2010 at 10:03.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:04   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default

We cannot deny the fact that IIT does give you a head start and that is the very reason why that IITians are known for their loyalty to their alma mater and many IIT Alumni Associations are active in India and abroad.

The IIT alumni either help their alma mater in the form of donations, or by preferential job opportunities extended to students from the IITs.

The Vinod Gupta School of Management at IIT Kharagpur and Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management at IIT Bombay are management schools within IITs that have been established largely by alumni donations; these schools were named after their benefactors.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 19th August 2010 at 10:12. Reason: Edit
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:15   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The first guy obviously has no interest in engineering, he wants the IIT tag for whatever next step is he planning.
That seems to be on the mark. By all indications, his next stop is going to be IIM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You mean the 3 peers are measured only by their alumni affiliations and not by their current qualities?
I should have qualified that with a "Ceteris Paribus"! In case someone does not know,that term (used in economics), means "other things remaining equal"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not really. I have worked with lots of IITians during my corporate stint, and most of them could never outperform the rest even marginally.
I don't deny that. At least with respect to those who are from good NIT, BITS and other reputed engineering schools. But there is no denying the fact that a good pedigree wrt the alma mater gets one a head start in life.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th August 2010 at 10:23.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:17   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

If one looks at a typical IITian, following categories emerge

1. IITian --> Techie --> hardcore Techie --> Principal Engineer --> Fellow
2. IITian --> IIM --> Sales/Marketing or Consulting or Finance --> entreprenuer
3. IITian --> IIM --> entreprenuer
4. IITian --> USA Higher education --> follow option 1 in a MNC
5. IITian --> Masters --> PhD --> Academician --> professor -- fellow
6. IITian --> PhD --> Research Fellow

there could be more..

the different streems people follow depending on their passion for the field and what is priority for them in life.

Everyone is right, no one is wrong.
What Samurai or me is talking about is

1. these careers can also be persued by a Non IITian as well.

2. how much success one achieves over period of time does not depend on being IITian or not, but it depends on one's real abilities and attitude.

3. ofcourse an IITian might score high on apptitude and academic scores. but real life probelms are not about academic scores, but how one deals with the issues.

BTW, i have also met and worked with IITians who have in excess of 50/100 patents to their credit. I have also worked with Techie Fellow IITians whose business orientation is much higher and better than an IIM-A graduate.

I have also met and worked with Non IIT Techies who are at the same career level like a IIT Techie, even after 20+ years in the cutting edge field.

Good thing with life is it allows every one a opportunity, in fact repeated opportunities, it all depends on how well we use them, even if we have missed the previous one.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 19th August 2010 at 10:24.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:29   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,552
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

1. IITian --> Techie --> hardcore Techie --> Principal Engineer --> Fellow


1. these careers can also be persued by a Non IITian as well.
+1 to you.

I am from a regular college and currently a
Techie --> hardcore Techie --> Principal Engineer

In fact my work designation itself is Principal Applications Engineer at one of the world's top Application Development companies.

Just follow your heart and be all you can be.
Don't let a piece of paper(degree) define who you are.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:36   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In fact my work designation itself is Principal Applications Engineer at one of the world's top Application Development companies.
I am happy for you. Fortunately, the IT field is a boom industry and a great leveler - for now. But the same does not apply in every field universally. Also, I don't think too many IIT graduates opt to be techies.

The example you, Samurai and Starvegabond provide are all from the IT field. Are there any examples from other fields?

Take the case of MBA. Are all MBAs considered on par with IIM?

Last edited by Gansan : 19th August 2010 at 10:41.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:47   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The example you, Samurai and Starvegabond provide are all from the IT field. Are there any examples from other fields?

Take the case of MBA. Are all MBAs considered on par with IIM?
I was all along thinking, we are discussing quote mis-use in all IITs
which turned out to be only the case in IIT-Khargapur, that too there is a clause that the children of IIT staff need to clear JEE as well.

so that case of mis-use does not arise IMO, all other things are speculations or hear says.

then the discussion moved towards IIT-ian and NON IITian and their abilities

now i see discussion moving toward MBAs

i think it is time MODS closed this thread and we all get back to our automobile lives.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kharagpur to Bangalore- Oct'10 pghose Route / Travel Queries 8 16th March 2011 20:01
Admission ordeal - Rotorhead Shifting gears 45 12th January 2010 10:12
Info needed for admission into Bangalore Engineering College. sam_boy Shifting gears 23 11th February 2009 12:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks