Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd November 2005, 13:56   #1
dev
BHPian

Default Precautions to take when raining?

Dear BHpians,

This thread may help all of the people who travleing in highways.

I have 390kms trip towards AP tomorrow, may I know the guidelines to follow when it is raining?

Especially need answers for following:
1) What is the max., speed can we trvael in ikon (as the brakes in Ikon are not so good)?
2) When a water stream is passing, can we continue driving? What are the precautions we need to follow while crossing streams?
3) In what depth of water can we continue driving in a stream?
4) In panic situations while raining (when brake used), what need to keep in mind? Steering or any other?
5) What is the Air pressure to maintain in rains?
6) Any guidelines to know whether there is a big pothole?

If u find any other info helpful, please post it.. as this is urgent and tomorrow I am leaving.
My route:
Chittor-Thirupathi-NH5 towards Vijayawada.
Currently there is heavy rains in Chittor and near places.

thank you.
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 14:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

when the road surface is wet ,the braking distance increases,so try and reduce your speed and keep a larger distance from the vehicle ahead of you.

see to it that your tires are in good shape,as you wont be doing high speeds you can try an dreduce a psi or two.

top up your windshield washer fluid.see that your wipers are in good shape,see to it that your windshield is clean --both inside and outside

keep your parking lights on ,so that you will be visble to other road users.

give more time to reach your destination.
drive in low beam as high beam reflects light

also clean your headlights whenever you stop ,as dirt on it will reduce the lit area

try and brake lightly as braking hard can cause a skid or aquaplaning..so if u maintain larger gap withteh vehicle ahead of u,this can be avoided..

whereever u see water on teh road,and are not sure of the depth ,wait for some other vehicle to go .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 14:54   #3
dev
BHPian

Thanks very much Satya.

I will keep in mind..
Old 23rd November 2005, 16:34   #4
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
1) What is the max., speed can we trvael in ikon (as the brakes in Ikon are not so good)?
Any thing more than 50-60 kmph is not suggested unless you have a very clear visibility of the road for a long distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
2) When a water stream is passing, can we continue driving? What are the precautions we need to follow while crossing streams?
You have to make sure that the road is in a good shape before crossing a stream. Wait for the truck/bus drivers to venture first. While crossing the stream, be in lower gear and keep the engine slightly revved and maintain as minimum speed as possible so that water do not splash into the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
3) In what depth of water can we continue driving in a stream?
I think more than 1 feet of depth would be a risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
4) In panic situations while raining (when brake used), what need to keep in mind? Steering or any other?
Better to keep slow speeds and be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
5) What is the Air pressure to maintain in rains?
As Satya said, keep the pressure slightly lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
6) Any guidelines to know whether there is a big pothole?
Best way is to closely observe a couple of vehicles in front of you and then you can follow the path if everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
If u find any other info helpful, please post it.. as this is urgent and tomorrow I am leaving.
Enroute, enquire from the locals or from the opposite traffic about the condition of the road.

Also keep some black & white newspapers handy to clean the windshield periodically.

Have a safe trip.
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 17:54   #5
cnu
BHPian

Here is some more information:

1) Prevent skids by driving slowly and carefully especially on curves. Steer and brake with a light touch. When you need to stop or slow down, do not brake hard or lock the wheels. If you do so, you risk a skid.

2) If you do find yourself in a skid, remain calm, ease your foot off the accelerator and carefully steer in the direction you want the front of the car to go. For cars without anti-lock brakes, avoid using brakes. “Steering into the skid” will bring the back end of your car in line with the front. If your car has ABS, brake firmly as you “steer into the skid”.

3) Never drive through flood waters unless you are sure that the road is not washed away.

4) Bridges and flyovers can be slippery so drive carefully over these areas.

5) You never know when you may stuck on the road. Keep enough supplies of snacks/food and water. Also, keep your tank atleast half full and a torch to meet unforeseen situations.

Offtopic, this (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive) thread lists the essentials for a long drive.
Old 23rd November 2005, 18:26   #6
dev
BHPian

Thanks CNU for you valuable tips.
Old 23rd November 2005, 18:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
see to it that your tires are in good shape,as you wont be doing high speeds you can try an dreduce a psi or two.
Hang on a sec pal, why do you say the pressure should be lowered?

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 21:08   #8
cnu
BHPian

dev,

Just heard news from a local channel that there was a traffic disruption today on NH5 because of water flooding. So just be prepared and plan extra time for such delays.
Old 23rd November 2005, 21:12   #9
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Shan2nu
Shan2nu, slightly lowering the pressure increases the contact area of the tyre with the road and this helps to reduce the skid on a slippery surface.
Old 23rd November 2005, 22:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu, slightly lowering the pressure increases the contact area of the tyre with the road and this helps to reduce the skid on a slippery surface.
All i can say is that it's nothing but a myth.

Increasing the contact patch reduces the pressure per square inche exerted by the vehicle's weight. Spreading the weight over a larger area equates to the tyre not being able to cut through water.

We all know that when a tyre is under inflated the center of the tyre caves in right? That's why you get more wear on the outer edges.

So imagine what might happen in such a case, all that water would get channeled to the center of the tyre pushing the tyre upwards (which in simple terms is called aquaplaning).

Well, that was my version ...............and if you still don't believe it, see what the pros have to say. Air pressure vs Wet performance

PS : Ever wondered why WRC cars run puny tyres (165mm i think) in snow covered stages? That's bcoz the smaller contact patch helps dig into the soft snow and bite the harder surface below, which helps traction the car.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd November 2005 at 22:16.
Old 23rd November 2005, 23:08   #11
cnu
BHPian

Hmmm... looks like I am wrong. But what would be the case if you do not have enough treads on your tires ?
Old 23rd November 2005, 23:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm... looks like I am wrong. But what would be the case if you do not have enough treads on your tires ?
Even in such a case, the smaller the contact patch....... the lesser the chances of the tyre aquaplaning. But, this doesn't mean a worn out tyre won't aquaplane. Just to be safe, always drive with the required tread depth.

It's as simple as cutting butter with a knife, sharper the knife egde, the easier it'l cut through.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd November 2005 at 23:27.
Old 24th November 2005, 08:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

Shan2nu

you got me wrong ..we all increase the psi by 2-3 whenever we do highways..so if its during rains ,i suggest u stick to whatever is used inside the city ..i.e whatever is said in the car manual.

also if the pressure is very low,the tire is more prone to cuts and punctures ...
but...i did read somewhere that lowering pressure does give you better grip..

then...why do the 4X4's is teh deserts lower their tires psi's when in the sand??????
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 10:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then...why do the 4X4's is teh deserts lower their tires psi's when in the sand??????
When driving in a desert, the idea is to keep the tyres from diggin in. Lowering the pressure spreads the weight of the vehicle over a larger area preventing the tyres from sinking into the sand.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd December 2005, 14:13   #15
dev
BHPian

Thank you all for your tips.