Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th November 2005, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Also, in many cases, manufactures look for a name that would be well accepted and suited for a specific country. Assume Tata launching Indica/Indigo in US. Would anyone in US like those names ?
you never know but they might...most of them will think its named after the state of Indiana
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 18:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Right, and its absolutely impractical to have a global car since the local conditions specific to a country (like fuel quality, roads, rules etc) are not the same across countries.

Assume Tata launching Indica/Indigo in US. Would anyone in US like those names ?
Why should fuel quality,road condns affect the naming of car..

I would feel that Tata Indigo/Indica would just be fine and it sounds fine. Just my opinion

While what you say does make sense in some cases, by and large, most manufacturers are sticking to a standard name throughout.

That does not again explain the SWIFT/Esteem name does it as both sound equally good.

Last edited by muni : 24th November 2005 at 18:18.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2005, 19:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
you never know but they might...most of them will think its named after the state of Indiana
That was almost a PJ
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 15:06   #19
BHPian

dceite, lol yeah but some of them are really that stupid ;-)
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 15:09   #20
BHPian

Hey guys , What do you 've to say for the latest addition to the D segment the " SKODA LAURA " .

p.s Hey now plz dont cross the limits
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2005, 15:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Hey guys , What do you 've to say for the latest addition to the D segment the " SKODA LAURA " .

p.s Hey now plz dont cross the limits
i was gonna post that! hehe

kwn what Laura costs 17l and has leathers

car intros itself : I am Laura,17,wears leathers, bigger boot,...
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 18:01   #22
BHPian

Default Re: What's in a Car name anyway?

Say goodbye to the Mercedes-Benz ML and GLK. No, the actual SUV models will still appear on dealer lots, but the letters on their rumps will change. Mercedes-Benz announced a plan today to rename its models in a system that, its press release says, 'is simple, clear and transparent.'

Actually, not a whole lot changes with the passenger cars, which retain Mercedes-Benz's core designations of S, E, C, B and A. Those letters will typically be followed by a number designating the size of the engine.

However, Mercedes-Benz's powerplants are growing in variety, so the models will gain a new, lower-case letter. Diesel engined cars will lose the Bluetec label and gain a simple 'd', a naming convention with history in the Mercedes-Benz stable. Cars with hybrid drivetrains, either diesel- or gasoline-electric, get an 'h', while electrics, like the new B-Class Electric Drive, will get an 'e'. Mercedes-Benz also designates future fuel cell vehicles with an 'f'.

Straight-up gasoline engines will remain unremarked.

As for the model names, Mercedes-Benz decided to put all its SUVs under the tall roof of the G wagon, which will retain its simple G designation. However, the current GL becomes the GLS, the ML becomes the GLE, and the GLK becomes the GLC. The GLA keeps its name. The third letter in each corresponds to the letters of the passenger cars, with the L losing its former light meaning and now becoming what Mercedes-Benz calls a linking letter.

Simple, right?

Mercedes-Benz notes that it will be updating its entire SUV line-up next year, making the naming change timely.
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote