Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 13:50   #46
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was sitting in a 100% Muslim country, eating a ham sandwich!
Surely, my fears that the some sort of food police would swoop at any minute were entirely ridiculous, and I have laughed at my fear ever since. Mind you, I guess it was a bit like wearing shoes in a temple, disrespectful to the religion, and I wouldn't do it again.
In Islamic nations, supermarkets are required to place pork products in a separate section that is marked clearly so I don't think there would have been a problem with what you were eating there. As long as it isn't Ramadan, you can eat in public and there's nothing wrong with it unless there's some symbolism involved such as by having a whole animal in a platter that can be identified. However, a vegan or vegetarian sitting nearby would give you a stare in disgust over killing a poor living breathing animal to satisfy your desires, and you would be attracting bad karma too.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 16:24   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
... As long as it isn't Ramadan, you can eat in public...
In Saudi you can eat during Ramadan, inside your car, if you are traveling on the highway, but this is not allowed in UAE (not sure about the rest of the GCC).
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 19:19   #48
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Very unfortunate. No matter where you travel, make it a point not to carry all Indian spices and masalas with you... Try to enjoy the food in the country where you're going!

I know some people who go overseas with enough rice and curry powders to survive for more than two months! You're not going to a war-zone or refugee camp, come on!
To some extent what you are saying is correct. It depends on which part of the world you are going to. I have travelled to Germany and now in Italy for official work for two months. If I am travelling to a place where I can expect some spicy food and chicken then I will not carry anything from home. But for Europe one has to be prepared since most of the food is bland and beef and pork is preferred over chicken. Hence on both my trips I have carried spices and stuff for a month or so and then buy from local Asian shops.
rajivr1612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 20:15   #49
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 359
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Last year i travelled on Emirates twice and this year my wife did too(transit to houston). Spices etc were in the checked-in baggage. No problems.
My wife carried some medicine too along with prescription but no questions were asked. That being said, the dubai airport was underwhelming. Being brought up on stories of duty-free shopping i was expecting something spectacular perhaps.

Last edited by Mik : 25th March 2013 at 20:16. Reason: added info
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 20:31   #50
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
In Saudi you can eat during Ramadan, inside your car, if you are traveling on the highway, but this is not allowed in UAE (not sure about the rest of the GCC).
That's quite surprising. Usually, Saudi has more stringent laws than UAE.

Some people have been caught unaware of the local laws and cases involving eating in public during Ramadan are not punished severely unless it was intentional.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 04:12   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,650 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

POPPY SEEDS HELP NEEDED FOR USA TRAVELER:

Reviving this old thread for a query that I didn't find an answer anywhere else with clarity.

I am Bengali and by default "addicted" to food preparations with Poppy Seeds (aka Khas Khas).
I am able to find Poppy Seeds in many grocery stores in Jersey City because there is a huge Indian community here.
However it is crazy expensive (obviously). 396 grams costs $10. Now 396 grams will be consumed in just about 2-3 servings

So I was wondering if I can carry about 1 kg of poppy seeds from India when I am returning from vacation ?

I am flying DEL - JFK Non Stop Air India.
Port of departure is DEL and Pot of Arrival is JFK. (Thankfully I don't have a Dubai connection, read some scary few pages back).

Can I carry Poppy Seeds into USA ?

I read the US - CBP website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../poppy%20seeds

But it doesn't say anything about poppy seeds. Any recent Bong traveler, please help / advise.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 04:37   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,855
Thanked: 15,416 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
POPPY SEEDS HELP NEEDED FOR USA TRAVELER:

Reviving this old thread for a query that I didn't find an answer anywhere else with clarity.

I am Bengali and by default "addicted" to food preparations with Poppy Seeds (aka Khas Khas).
I am able to find Poppy Seeds in many grocery stores in Jersey City because there is a huge Indian community here.
However it is crazy expensive (obviously). 396 grams costs $10. Now 396 grams will be consumed in just about 2-3 servings

So I was wondering if I can carry about 1 kg of poppy seeds from India when I am returning from vacation ?

I am flying DEL - JFK Non Stop Air India.
Port of departure is DEL and Pot of Arrival is JFK. (Thankfully I don't have a Dubai connection, read some scary few pages back).

Can I carry Poppy Seeds into USA ?

I read the US - CBP website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../poppy%20seeds

But it doesn't say anything about poppy seeds. Any recent Bong traveler, please help / advise.
Wrong website
You have to look at this
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_ex...r_planting.pdf

Check table 3-40

I found this while researching Cumin(Jeera)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th January 2017 at 04:40.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 04:38   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
POPPY SEEDS HELP NEEDED FOR USA TRAVELER:

Reviving this old thread for a query that I didn't find an answer anywhere else with clarity.

I am Bengali and by default "addicted" to food preparations with Poppy Seeds (aka Khas Khas).
I am able to find Poppy Seeds in many grocery stores in Jersey City because there is a huge Indian community here.
However it is crazy expensive (obviously). 396 grams costs $10. Now 396 grams will be consumed in just about 2-3 servings

So I was wondering if I can carry about 1 kg of poppy seeds from India when I am returning from vacation ?

I am flying DEL - JFK Non Stop Air India.
Port of departure is DEL and Pot of Arrival is JFK. (Thankfully I don't have a Dubai connection, read some scary few pages back).

Can I carry Poppy Seeds into USA ?

I read the US - CBP website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../poppy%20seeds

But it doesn't say anything about poppy seeds. Any recent Bong traveler, please help / advise.
It has to be declared and checked. Here is the article.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-...-united-states

I know that certain seeds / pulses are not allowed like channa dal. You have to declare the seeds sections as Yes and when inspected tell them that you are carrying khas-khas.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:56   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,730
Thanked: 879 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
POPPY SEEDS HELP NEEDED FOR USA TRAVELER:
Has the price increased in USA ?
In 2008, it was just the reverse, posto was actually cheaper in USA than in Kolkata, so my mom brought a kg from USA to Kolkata (checked baggage)
It was just the opposite direction flight - JFK-DEL-CCU on AI.
No declaration or anything was done.

But since you are carrying posto in to USA (aka the guys who forbid consumption of 'shorsher tel' and stores sell it with 'for external use only' sticker), you better declare it to customs and carry it in a sealed pack by a reputed company where all details are mentioned.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 21:19   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,650 Times
Default Re: A serious warning .. in DUBAI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wrong website
You have to look at this
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_ex...r_planting.pdf
Check table 3-40
I found this while researching Cumin(Jeera)
Thanks a lot Tanveer ! That helps a lot in some kinda assurance that I will not be jailed

On the other hand, I also wanted to hear it once from the horse's mouth. Anyone who recently carried it from India to USA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Has the price increased in USA ?
In 2008, it was just the reverse, posto was actually cheaper in USA than in Kolkata, so my mom brought a kg from USA to Kolkata (checked baggage)
It was just the opposite direction flight - JFK-DEL-CCU on AI.
No declaration or anything was done.

But since you are carrying posto in to USA (aka the guys who forbid consumption of 'shorsher tel' and stores sell it with 'for external use only' sticker), you better declare it to customs and carry it in a sealed pack by a reputed company where all details are mentioned.
It is crazy buddy ! 14oz (396 grams) costs $10 in Jersey City. That is like $25 per kg , which is 2300 INR !! Mad price !

Do you know any other Bong who carried Poshto recently to USA ?
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A serious think needed about traffic manners !! normally_crazy The Indian Car Scene 116 20th April 2016 01:13
First Super Bus Received in Dubai for Traveling from Dubai to Abu Dhabi in 30 min kphilip The International Automotive Scene 6 22nd June 2011 16:31
Dubai - Liwa - Dubai milindajp Travelogues 7 26th May 2009 14:29
Serious Wheels! neverclever Shifting gears 0 14th October 2004 19:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks