Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th September 2010, 00:47   #16
BANNED

Red face

sridhga: You have proved your knack of picking dull stocks and turning them into gold. Surely you have made Buffet proud. You must try with bigger bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
I happened to go to one of the Tanishq showrooms.
Strage coinincidence ! I also happen to goto Tanishq showroom. I found that they sell their gold about 50 to 100 rupees above market rate. I said to myself, who in sane mind will pay more and so I didn't buy their stock. Now, I am

Coming to stocks, I have a dilemma. I am one of the million shareholders of a prominent company. I don't much, just 5 shares. Now I got the information that the company is planning to go for either Bonus shares or Stock split and a vote is called in the AGM. I am confused which one to vote. Which is better for me?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 00:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Coming to stocks, I have a dilemma. I am one of the million shareholders of a prominent company. I don't much, just 5 shares. Now I got the information that the company is planning to go for either Bonus shares or Stock split and a vote is called in the AGM. I am confused which one to vote. Which is better for me?
Bonus shares or Stock split or none of them does not make any difference for the longterm shareholder. These are just management gimmicks to temporarily delite shareholders and to be in the news.

Last edited by sridhga : 25th September 2010 at 01:08.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 22:43   #18
BHPian

Default Another share that I should have invested more

After Shankranthi in 2008 the stock markets went into a plunge. One of those days the market fell by 2000 points. That day I invested Rs. 70,000 in various shares. Not all of them have done well irrespective of the fact they are all good companies. This is a lesson to be learnt. If you buy merely because the market has gone down, it cannot be an assured that you are buying at the right price.

Coming back to the point, in that market mayhem, I bid just 10 shares of GlaxoSmithkline Pharma without any price limitation. I got 10 shares for Rs.8,480. Today the shares are worth Rs. 21,128. I get a dividend of Rs. 400 on them every year.

On hind-sight, I should have bought more of this company's shares that day. But my lack of sufficient research and the quick drop in prices have not given me the time to think as to which share to buy and at what price.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Now I will show you an interesting(maybe another dull) stock. On Friday September 24th it closed at Rs. 572.10 per share Can you guess the name of this company?

My holdings with acquisition costs and dates included in the attached file
sridhga : thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Any clue on the stock mentioned in excel sheet ( very stable for the past 2 years )
Seagull76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 22:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
sridhga : thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Any clue on the stock mentioned in excel sheet ( very stable for the past 2 years )

Okay for those of you interested, the name of this company is VST Industries Ltd. I even got a divident of Rs. 39,660 for 1322 shares that I had held during the last dividend season.
Old 27th September 2010, 00:41   #21
BHPian

My dad has been holding VST Industries from the late 70's /early 80's. Its a slow moving, slow trading stock but it is gold if you have the patience.
One of my favourite stocks is Karur Vysya Bank. Very solid, and stable. Its already been a multibagger for me but I am still holding and will keep adding once the price comes down.
P1tBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 13:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
sridhga, it's a nice thread you've started here. I have a doubt though, there must be a million companies listed on the stock exchange, how do you decide on what to buy and what not to buy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
+1 Get the same doubt. I dont believe in what the channels peddle as it always has to be reliance!!

For one i agree with you on buying shares of indian banks like the one you suggested. Was lucky to buy shares of couple of banks when it was launched in the IPO and they are doing pretty well and i hate daily trading as it takes a lot of your time and if done badly chances of loosing is greater
You do have very relevant questions. First let me tell you that I am not egaer to watch those business channels. Initially I tried them but now a days when I watch them every statement of theirs sounds like a joke to me. No offence meant, but they are only concerned in creating hype and in creating "News" out of the daily market movements and out of the thought processes of some media savvy analysts.

Let me confess that I am not perfect and am still learning it. But I did my own research (Fundemental Analysis) of several stocks, about 350+ based on 5 years profitability and Balance sheet as well as cashflow data. I zero in on my stocks based on this. Moreover, I am very particular about the ethics and intentions of the management. For a lonterm shareholder this is very important. Once I zero in on the shares, I download all available annual reports and read them thoroughly to understand where the company is getting to. I sincerely do all of this before I take a plunge. The purpose of this thread is to share with with you my experinces and analysis. I will try my best as I go along. Again as had earlier mentioned, I believe that investing in our stocks is investing in our country and amounts to supporting good companies, generating employement and spreading properity. I believe it is a good cause along with the profits and fun.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:51   #23
BHPian

Forgive the following typo's in my previous post

Quote:
First let me tell you that I am not egaer to watch those business channels.
"eager" instead of "egaer"

Quote:
Moreover, I am very particular about the ethics and intentions of the management. For a lonterm shareholder this is very important.
"long-term" instead of "lonterm"

Quote:
I believe that investing in our stocks is investing in our country and amounts to supporting good companies, generating employement and spreading properity.
"generating employment and spreading prosperity" instead of "generating employement and spreading properity"

Last edited by sridhga : 27th September 2010 at 13:53.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:20   #24
Max
BHPian

Default Re: The story of my experiences in owning stocks

I feel maruti is now available at very attractive prices. Its a good company available at discounted price, of course times are now bad for this sector but company should be able to perform in long run. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I own some maruti stocks i bought recently.

Last edited by Max : 27th July 2011 at 16:21.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote