Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st September 2010, 08:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Lalit - Thanks for your suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
May I suggest you yourself take up this de-weeding exercise bit by bit everyday.
I'm not lazy enough to work with tools, but let me explain few things...
1. I leave to office as early as 6:30 in the morning, so doing it everyday is out of question.
2. Odomos??? I'd nearly 1/4th applied only on legs & hands last weekend before spraying Glycel, yet, the mosquitoes fed on me very well. Now days they don't even bother much about Good Knight advanced. Looks like they've developed good immune
3. If I do this every weekend, before the next weekend, I'm sure there would be new plants from the area cleaned up in the previous week & that's why I prefered some great tools. With good techy tools, its fun to work, less effort & more output.
4. Again, this is alone not sufficient, I would need a spade & bucket to carry the plants that are cut (we still have them including a crowbar). Well actually spade helps to deweed faster & I've done them several years back.

I guess, I'm left with no option other than using the chemicals for now. I'll try posting the pics of our neighbour's vacant plot to show how "greenry" it appears.

Appreciate your response Lsp.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 09:08   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

And when you pull out the weeds, make sure you throw them away immediately. You could even dump them on a sheet of plastic (like the ones made from fertilizer bags) as soon as you pull them out. Once it piles up, it will be easier to bundle them on the spot in that same sheet - to take it away for disposal.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 09:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
make sure you throw them away immediately.
Condor - I'm thinking of buying some more stronger chemicals suggested here for immediate use. Sorry about that, but I don't have a choice.

For long term requirements, I'm willing to buy some good tools, but it should be way better than regular spades, crowbars & it will be a machine for sure.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:17   #19
BHPian

aargee - Here is what we are planning to do in TVM. At our house (15 cents), we're facing a similar problem. No snakes though. What we are planning is to get a landscaping guy come and work on it. There are quite a few of these folks available in TVM now. The initial cost might be a little high depending on what you do but the good part is that they will also come and maintain it every week or month as required - at an additional cost though. My aunt has this done and she pays Rs.700 a month now for the garndener to come. She also has paved a good protion using interlocking tiles and this to a good extend prevents growth. As the tiles in the market were expensive, they cast their own concrete tiles.
We also have another piece of land on the outskirts which is much bigger. Started growing tapioca there but gave up as the returns are not worth the hassle. And the way that it's raining currently in TVM, the greenery just keeps getting worse. Gave up on this plot, it's just going wild now.

Hope this helps.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:43   #20
BHPian

There are two types of herbicides available in market, one is contact and the other is systemic. Roundup, Glycel are the systemic ones with active ingredient being Glyphosate and Gramoxone is a contact herdicide, with paraquat dichloride as active ingredient.

Gramoxone shows faster action than compared to Roundup but both are equally capable. Choose any one based on availability.

Regards,
Darshan
darshan.ckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well I did try it during college but gave up. What some of my friends used to do was to roll it with ..... oh you mean weeds . Sorry

On a serious note, get the entire area dug (about 6inches or so), remove the entire thing along with roots and put some weedicide. Then plant something else there and ensure that its taken care of regularly. Its a pain, seriously.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote