Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 14:24   #76
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Cuckoo Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbeemers View Post
Any idea if there is any other way to contact these manufacturers (the next time we visit Mlr we can try visiting the place).
The weblink seems to be outdated now hence requesting.

We are in the lookout for a cuckoo clock and would like some suggestions as to where can we get it (preferably in Bangalore)

Also what would be the price of it and which make is the best?
Try calling the number still works and ask for Mrs. Nayak, they keep changing their IDs.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 14:33   #77
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Cuckoo Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Try calling the number still works and ask for Mrs. Nayak, they keep changing their IDs.
Where do one get their number. Please list if you have one. Also are there no organized players who produce Cuckoo Clocks from where we can buy/ order. Thanks in advance!
benzbeemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:17   #78
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Hello benz,

attached are the details


M Vaman Nayak & Sons


24-11-1170, Nayaks Complex
Jeppu, Mangalore – 575002. INDIA
Phone 091 824 2418555 / 556 Fax 91 824 2418393

contact Mrs. Nayak on : shoba nayak <nayaksclocks@gmail.com>
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 18:56   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Good to see that tall standing Grand Father. What is the smaller dial with in the primary clock dial below the 12 oclock position?
Just saw your post.. Its a second hand
Hatari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 22:57   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Guys,

One more gem added to my collection today, A Waltham 31day clock

Name:  5W55Ja5Ma3Ea3K53G7c6aeccd06e0139712fe.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  5Y15Kb5H33E63Lb3I9c6a4192e6bc688d1cf6.jpg
Views: 3329
Size:  32.5 KB
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 07:33   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 784 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Damn never knew such a thread existed and this is like the encyclopedia of clocks. I was on the look out for a grandfather clock and stumbled upon this thread. Need to gift one to my wife, she loves period stuff and was toying the idea of picking up one of these

Pendulum clock, Wall clock, Westminster chime clock with Hour Strike Opal eStore - Designer Wall Clocks, Decorative Wall Clocks, Pendulum Wall Clocks, Statue Clocks and Alarm Clocks
Pendulum clock, clock with quarter chime melody, Wall clock Opal eStore - Designer Wall Clocks, Decorative Wall Clocks, Pendulum Wall Clocks, Statue Clocks and Alarm Clocks

The prices are a bit jaw dropping .

Any idea where I can pick up similar stuff for something lesser and not end up paying an arm and a leg ? A colleague who is a native of Mangalore said Nayak's was the place and that's how I reached here. He has offered to go and check the prices for a grandfather clock, in the mean time can one of you folks give be a ball park figure on how much these would cost, like the one's I have posted in the links and if its available in Bangalore.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 08:02   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Exclamation Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Damn never knew such a thread existed and this is like the encyclopedia of clocks. I was on the look out for a grandfather clock and stumbled upon this thread. Need to gift one to my wife, she loves period stuff and was toying the idea of picking up one of these

Pendulum clock, Wall clock, Westminster chime clock with Hour Strike Opal eStore - Designer Wall Clocks, Decorative Wall Clocks, Pendulum Wall Clocks, Statue Clocks and Alarm Clocks
Pendulum clock, clock with quarter chime melody, Wall clock Opal eStore - Designer Wall Clocks, Decorative Wall Clocks, Pendulum Wall Clocks, Statue Clocks and Alarm Clocks

The prices are a bit jaw dropping .

Any idea where I can pick up similar stuff for something lesser and not end up paying an arm and a leg ? A colleague who is a native of Mangalore said Nayak's was the place and that's how I reached here. He has offered to go and check the prices for a grandfather clock, in the mean time can one of you folks give be a ball park figure on how much these would cost, like the one's I have posted in the links and if its available in Bangalore.

Opal is a modern brand and not sure what mechanism they use, Nayak is sure a worth try but expect the same sort of price band. These days the mechanical clocks of any brand is super high price.

If you are ok with used mechanical clocks, then you may hit 2000 - 4000 price range for a reasonable clock. Anything below going to hurt your fingers while you wind the key (believe me it is truth).

Grand father clock may cost you 70000 and upwards so be prepared to spend big for GF.

The moore market near chennai got a huge collection of used grand father and mechanical clocks in the budget mentioned above. The older the clock goes the higher the price.

Ansonia, Seth Thomas, Howard Miller, Waltham, Kienzle are fine piece of art. I'm still hunting for a Ansonia and Howard Miller in my collection. Here in USA Howard Miller 1800s GF are going for $40000 also.

While you selecting your clock you need to know if you are buying a chiming clock (normally with 3 key holes on the dial) or hour bell clock (2 key holes) and how many days the winding goes. The winding life goes from 8 hours (some cuckoo clocks) to 400 days (for some anniversary clocks). The pendulum clocks could wind for 8 days to 31 days. On the cuckoo clocks too, if you choose the one with dancing dolls and cuckoo birds the price goes up(most of the famous cuckoos are from West Germany and known as Blackforest Cuckoo hunter clock).

What not? The mechanical clocks are classifieds and called as Mantle clock(they got the name as these clocks were kept on the fire place mantle), wall clock, Grand mother clock (without big pendulum), Grand father clock, Anniversary clock and ofcourse travel or alarm clocks.

There are mechanical clocks with features like dancing dolls, cuckoo, Moon phase(normally available in GF clocks), world clock (in some wall clocks), Day/Date windows(wall clocks), Baro meter etc. The beauty they were all made with purely on gear ratios and spring action mixed with pendulums and weight bars.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:01   #83
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Damn never knew such a thread existed and this is like the encyclopedia of clocks. I was on the look out for a grandfather clock and stumbled upon this thread. Need to gift one to my wife, she loves period stuff and was toying the idea of picking up one of these

Pendulum clock, Wall clock, Westminster chime clock with Hour Strike Opal eStore - Designer Wall Clocks, Decorative Wall Clocks, Pendulum Wall Clocks, Statue Clocks and Alarm Clocks
Pendulum clock, clock with quarter chime melody, Wall clock Opal eStore - Designer Wall Clocks, Decorative Wall Clocks, Pendulum Wall Clocks, Statue Clocks and Alarm Clocks

The prices are a bit jaw dropping .

Any idea where I can pick up similar stuff for something lesser and not end up paying an arm and a leg ? A colleague who is a native of Mangalore said Nayak's was the place and that's how I reached here. He has offered to go and check the prices for a grandfather clock, in the mean time can one of you folks give be a ball park figure on how much these would cost, like the one's I have posted in the links and if its available in Bangalore.
The tall standing Grand father clocks are upwards of 100K each. The individual prices depend upon the Quarter Chimes and other configuration data.

Mumbai Chor Bazaar rather Mutton Street has a shop known as Sun Time Aqua. They also deal with clocks, but based more around antiques and other early 19th century unique pieces.

Have attached some pics from the nayak's workshop in m'lore
Attached Images
     
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:05   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 784 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Opal is a modern brand and not sure what mechanism they use, Nayak is sure a worth try but expect the same sort of price band. These days the mechanical clocks of any brand is super high price.

If you are ok with used mechanical clocks, then you may hit 2000 - 4000 price range for a reasonable clock. Anything below going to hurt your fingers while you wind the key (believe me it is truth).

Grand father clock may cost you 70000 and upwards so be prepared to spend big for GF.

The moore market near chennai got a huge collection of used grand father and mechanical clocks in the budget mentioned above. The older the clock goes the higher the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
The tall standing Grand father clocks are upwards of 100K each. The individual prices depend upon the Quarter Chimes and other configuration data.

Mumbai Chor Bazaar rather Mutton Street has a shop known as Sun Time Aqua. They also deal with clocks, but based more around antiques and other early 19th century unique pieces.

Have attached some pics from the nayak's workshop in m'lore
OK I have given up on this grand father clock thingy and no ways I am spending so much. I will prolly look up the clocks from Opal and gift one of those to my better half . Thanks again.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:49   #85
BHPian
 
shivshanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 307
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
OK I have given up on this grand father clock thingy and no ways I am spending so much. I will prolly look up the clocks from Opal and gift one of those to my better half . Thanks again.

wow!, that was a quick decision..did not mean to scare you off. not sure if i posted this earlier.. but have recently added a church clock to my collection with hrly strike for 15K..

Have a look below
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-closk.jpg  


Last edited by shivshanker : 14th August 2012 at 12:57.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:54   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,936
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
wow!, that was a quick decision..did not mean to scare you off. not sure if i posted this earlier.. but have recently added a church clock to my collection with hrly strike for 15K..

Have a look below
Is this an old clock? Somehow I feel that it is new. What is the make? Genuine old American clocks used to be available in 1000's in Chor Bazar, now they replicate the cases and put rubbish mechanisms. One has to be very careful.
Often, even in clocks, movements get separated from their original cases. Here is an article about pocket watches taken from the International Herald Tribune. Hope some will find it interesting.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-cl1.jpg  

Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)-cl2.jpg  

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:36   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 604
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Interested in buying a mechanical wall clock.
Nayak's seems to be the only option for new pendulum based mechanical wall clocks. Apart from an obscure indiamart site, they dont seem to have a website where we can browse their available stock/price list. Has anyone here succeeded in obtaining their catalogue/price list?

Or a phone call is the only option?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 16:46   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Reviving this thread after a long time.
Latest addition to my clock collection, its a EUROPA made in Germany travel alarm clock. Picked this up recently from local flea market.
Incidentally, apart from one screw ( holding clock to its outer shell) its 100% complete.
Recently serviced & oiled it myself as i just do not trust any watchmaker (personal experience).

Onto some pics of the clock & its mechanism.

Name:  DSCN3381.jpg
Views: 2827
Size:  245.2 KB
Name:  DSCN3383.jpg
Views: 2798
Size:  256.3 KB
Name:  DSCN3384.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  246.6 KB
Name:  DSCN3370.jpg
Views: 2715
Size:  275.0 KB
One can see the "jewel" in below pic

Name:  DSCN3372.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  304.0 KB

Bright work (brass) polished.

Name:  DSCN3380.jpg
Views: 2614
Size:  279.0 KB
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 21:03   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Traveller
Posts: 93
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Hi! everyone,

Wish to make a mechanical wall clock, rectangular one, but on a budget.

Biggest issue as always is Movement.

Found some info, which is useful so sharing it here.

Project is still at zero.

Found an Indian Movement Manufacturer in South Mumbai, called him up for just one unit, and he just disconnected. Wish someone can help me with this please.

Link http://www.indiamart.com/company/636...-and-half-inch

Supper cheap movements from the UK, but the person has not responded to my email.

http://www.rnhorological.co.uk/movements.htm

Also have an option of Seiko Quartz, a reliable life long movement, but heart wants mechanical.
http://steebar.com/seiko-double-elec...lock-movement/

Just recapping what I will need for this project.
1)A wood rectangular box sourced locally with glass front door.
2)Movement holder fixed on inside roof of box which I will again get it locally.
3)Dial should not be an issue as local quartz ones are available.

I really have my heart set on this Clock Movement from Indian manufacturer mentioned above. It is a complete set without the Dial and has a 9 And half Inch pendulum.
Wish some one can help source one unit from him please. I will not bother him with service issues as will manage locally. Also directly from manufacturer will be inexpensive, It is the European one's which are expensive. Ebay is also on the radar.

Any help will be appreciated.
ritz3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 01:23   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Traveller
Posts: 93
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Your proud clock collection (Grand father, Wall, Alarm & Table models)

Update as of today.

There is Radio Watch Company in Masjid - Mandvi, Mumbai, which has one Scientific box pack new wall clock. Aproximate 20 year old piece and available for Rs 3000, as of today. Google for their phone no. They also have refurbished Movements of Scientific starting from 1200.

The gentleman from Sun Time Aqua (Mumbai/ Chor Bazaar/ Mutton Street) is also on whats app, on his listed mobile no. He has refurbished import Movements starting from 1000 - 1200.

Presently hunting for a new or new old stock movement on Ebay US.
ritz3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Table and other car-themed furniture & accessories Jaggu Shifting gears 20 4th March 2017 21:23
Coffee Table Books (Automotive & Others) curiosity Shifting gears 6 9th December 2013 14:35
Wall clock casing manufacturers recshenoy Shifting gears 4 26th May 2010 18:21
Moments for Proud Indian to be more proud. mjothi Shifting gears 47 15th November 2008 01:58
Khaadu becomes a proud father!! suman Shifting gears 54 11th February 2008 16:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks