Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd December 2005, 10:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Talking What About Road Blockers?

Hai Bhpians,

There was a thread about RED light honking.

Reverse the situation.................

What if you are behind some guy who is crawling at 40 KM on the right hand lane and the road ahead is emply? Everyday on the road I come across these "SNAILS" which move at will and are not bothered about the pile up they create behind them. While I want to roar away, these guys put-put and saunter leasurely, makes me feel like ramming them from behind. Now, I have a BIG HORN for these guys and lean on it till they move.

Are there any other ways to move these guys?

What say you BHPians?

-- Ramky.

--------------------------------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 3rd December 2005 at 10:44.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 00:51   #2
BHPian

If it's at night i keep on flashing my lights till i make em' move or make em' blind.
ThE_DoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 01:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

OHH i hate these B*&^%^$.and some of them are really stubborn and just dont move they stay in the right most lane no matter what you do.honk,flash,scream,rev...they just dont move.finally i get frustrated change lanes overtake them(some times cut not very often though ) and then continue.

and some of these a$$ H*&^ drive in between two lanes.so you cant overtake from the right or left.that also is dam irritatin.

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 01:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ohhh....I just cant stand them. They just refuse to budge.And ive noticed that most of them are cabbies. They drive as if its thier frickin pops road.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 01:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
Ohhh....I just cant stand them. They just refuse to budge.And ive noticed that most of them are cabbies. They drive as if its thier frickin pops road.

X

took the words out of my mouth.infact sometimes i pull over close to them and yell out the same phrase.they just stare unaware of whats happening.

rev
Old 5th December 2005, 11:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

Unless you have an 18 wheeler with window shattering horn they wont budge. Once I had to tail a guy doing 60 for 2 kms. He was going almost parallel to a truck, and created a traffic jam. Finally I let a Haryana roadways bus to overtake me. The bus dude came behind 2 inches to that guy and let out shrill blasts from the pressure horn. That guy almost went off road in fear.

The best policy is to ignore those idiots and overtake from the left. These guys dont even realize they are wrong. Infact I have seen tractors going at 30 in the fast lane. You cant even honk and bully them away. But haryana roadways guys overtake these guys from left and then try to force them on the divider.
so if you are really pissed off enroll to be a bus driver. All you need to pass the driving test is a licence, lots of explitives and 2 patiala pegs.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 20:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

GRRRRRRR!! I have had my share of frustrations with these idiots. Most of them are taxi drivers. They are so stubborn thats it's unbelieveable. Once I honked at a cabbie doing 50kmph on the overtaking lane on the Vashi-Mankhurd highway just after the octroi toll naka and he didn't move. Flash my lights, kept them on, kept honking and guess what. The cabbie puts his hand out over the window as if asking me whats wrong and indicates to me to overtake from the left lane as it's empty! So, I did the next best thing. Downshifted, overtook him from left, pulled over in front of him and reduced my speed to 20kmph. Yes I am serious! I actually put my car in neutral and cruised along in front of him. Now he started honking and I could see him moving his hands frantically as if telling his passenger about the nuthead driving the Palio in front. There was a huge pile up of traffic at the back but I kept up my slow speed. So I put my hand out and ask him to overtake from the left lane. He tries and I immediately shift to the left lane blocking him and everyone out. He honks and everyone behind is honking like crazy. The whole highway was reduced to a 20kmph crawl by now. The cabbie gets desparate. Tries to sneak to the overtaking lane but I again block him. I put my hand out indicating him to overtake me from left/right anywhere. Having taught him a lesson (hopefully!) I downshift indicate him to follow me if he can and tap my accelarator. Whoof! I am gone in a few seconds. The rickety cab probably tried to catch me but soon gave up. Never saw him till I reached home even though I stopped at 2 traffic lights.
Problem is I don't think he understood why I did that to him!

Next time try doing what I did guys. If someone frustrates you, it's only natural that you do unto them what they do to you. Hopefully they will learn their lesson.

Last edited by amit : 5th December 2005 at 20:59.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 21:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hehehe i did that to a bst bus...man that guy was furious. I did it because he almost ran me into the divider while overtaking from the left.

Cabbies and ricks are a regular item on my hitlist...in the mornings im relaxed, so even if someone cuts me off, does wrong overtaking, honks unnecessarily...i dont respond...no point in spoiling the morning. But on the way back...i generally dont spare them. But after spending so much time on the roads, i've noticed its pointless to try and teach them a lesson because most of the time they think they are not at fault....so these days i just leave them be.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 5th December 2005 at 21:25.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 22:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Happens to me every morning on the way to school.
Have got a nice loud horn fitted. Hopefully that will help.
It's like the driver is driving and a cab or another vehicle comes in the fast lane and just stays there at an admant 40kmph while we are honking away to glory behind them.
Heck even i tell our driver to relax and save some fuel at times but in the left lane for god sakes.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2005, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

The only thing u could really do is find ur way to overtake them. Honking and flashing wouldn't help all that much. But once u find a way to get past them, while overtaking just make them run out of the road into the divider or something and make him really slow down.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

some times i overtake them some how and then go in front of them and drive slower than they are already.so they know how it feels.then they start honking and flashing lights and stuff.if i have the time i do this for quite some time otther wise i just do it for a few seconds and then drive off.

Rev
Old 6th December 2005, 14:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

I flash my headlights, blow the horn. Taxis and autorickshaws generally refuse to budge from the overtaking lane. So, I reluctantly move to the left and pass them. After the night of 11 - 12 November, I've become all the more defensive, because I realised that in our great country, you're at fault if you buy a bigger / safer car.
Honestly, autorickshaws should be banned and taxi fares should be cut. Taxis run on CNG and still charge us petrol / diesel rates. Taxi drivers should be disciplined.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 14:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

What happened on that night?

PS: your user pic is befitting for a moderator
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 15:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

if im not mistaken thats the night Rtech's octy got into some trouble with a taxi.by the way we still waiting to hear about it.what really happened??

rev
Old 6th December 2005, 15:59   #15
BHPian

Default During that situation...I

Initially (during my college days): Overtake on the first opportunity and show my middle fingure...

Later on (before marriage): (As revtech mentioned) Overtake and stall my car just in front of the lazy bu#, ensure he gets a piece of my mind...

Now days (after marriage): No honk, no crib, no worry...(you know there are lots of other things to worry ) just wait for an opportunity to get ahead and if met in a junction or traffic give that lazy bu# a simple sarcastic smile. You know, at this point the idiotic specimen would expect me to do something different - Never do that.

I've gained a lot by doing this way (A SIMPLE SMILE)
1) No unnecessary tension
2) I would never be a prey for these guys
3) Avoid fortuity incidents

Anyone with me .....
VtecDeGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote