Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th September 2010, 12:46   #1
BHPian

Default Should we have compulsory First-Aid training for all motorists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, my point is not to say "Don't help", instead saying, get trained to help. This has been discussed earlier on page 1. Offering help is a good deed, however, it should be done correctly, like not be breaking the neck & making someone permanently disabled.
This above statement by Aargee made me think if compulsory first-aid training for all driving license holders in India would be a good idea.

In case of an accident on the street there are people who would like to help the victim but may not know how to do so correctly and may end up doing more damage than help unintentionally.

In some countries like Germany it is necessary to undergo a basic first-aid training before obtaining a driving license. I was wondering if some rules on the same lines would be good for us?
Autonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 12:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you ask me, basic first aid should be taught to everyone. It should be part of school curriculum at standard 9-10.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Strongly agree with Tejas; this should be taught in school curriculum. Most importantly all the motorists should be taught how to drive/ride, behave, share & care for others on the road

Sorry to have said that, but that's the sad truth.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

A while ago, there was training imparted to Auto drivers (since they are found everywhere) on first aid in Bengaluru.
The problem is if one can remember everything all the time without doing it now and then.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 13:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The problem is if one can remember everything all the time without doing it now and then.
Make it a rule that autos and cabs should have a first aid booklet at all times. There are tons of nice booklets available with pictorial guides to help. And there will be n number of companies will to sponsor the same since the it will be a good branding exercise.

Asking them to keep a first aid kit is too much i think realistically.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:43   #6
BHPian

I agree with both Tejas and Aargee. Making it compulsory at the school level itself would be benificial and giving pictoral booklets to all taxi/auto drivers or even bus drivers after adequate training would be a good excercise. Though I guess at school many of us are not that serious enough to pay due attention to such training but it would be a good start.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
... first-aid training for all driving license holders in India would be a good idea.
Driver training for all license holders in India would also be a good idea!

Anyway, since on the topic -- why don't we start with ourselves:

Have you guys seen this "new" CPR technique. Continuous Chest Compression. Its supposed to be simpler to remember, more effective and doesnt require mouth to mouth. Take 2 minutes of your time to watch the video.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th September 2010 at 14:15.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think we begin with getting proper driving licenses for everybody!
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 17:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Driver training for all license holders in India would also be a good idea!
I do agree that driver training for most license holders and also sensitivity training would a very good idea in India but I started this thread to see how many of us here believe that first-aid training should be made compulsory as a pre-requisite for obtaining a valid drivers license.

Quote:
I think we begin with getting proper driving licenses for everybody!
I think we already have an ok...ish system for getting a driving license, it's just that we (the people in general in the country) have a problem adhering to the rules when it comes to letting the system work properly.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
I think we already have an ok...ish system for getting a driving license, it's just that we (the people in general in the country) have a problem adhering to the rules when it comes to letting the system work properly.
OK??? This is the most pathetic system Autonorm. Sorry to say this. Let me give you an example.

My uncle who was in KL wanted to renew his license that was taken & renewed from Chennai for several years & also he didn't have to appear for driving test because an agent near the RTO said he would take care. Ok no issues, my uncle already rides & drives for over 35+ years. Now, when I went to collect the license after a week from him, I witness this incident while I'm waiting.

He's completing all the written test for all the candidates who're appearing for LLR & instructing all the people to read the road signs for those appearing for test. Then here goes the conversation between a man of around 40+ & agent

Man: Why should I learn all these signs
Agent: If you need to ride on the road, you should know all these
Man: Is it not sufficient that I learn only riding? Why should I learn this in addition?
Agent, myself & all others burst into laughter. But still the man is still serious on his question. Finally the agent says, if at all inspector asks any question on these signs, then he should be able to tell.

So I agree that people in general have the problem adhering to rules & also force others to violate. Everyday I'm asked to jump the signal by honking hard, but I don't give a budge. Not sure when I would get rear ended!!!

Now that's about the people's attitude, but looking at the system, does fullfilling "8" for two-wheeler & "H" for car sufficient? In the real life we take more parallel & serial parking than H right? Why not put one of them? Things are still several decade old here.

PS - The agent typically reminded me of the Kamalhassan's famous movie Indian (Thamizh) or Hindustani (Hindi)

Last edited by aargee : 29th September 2010 at 19:47.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 20:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Make it a rule that autos and cabs should have a first aid booklet at all times. There are tons of nice booklets available with pictorial guides to help. And there will be n number of companies will to sponsor the same since the it will be a good branding exercise.

Asking them to keep a first aid kit is too much i think realistically.
Ha ha! many of them don't even carry fare chart / card with them, carrying first aid booklet would be a big task.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 21:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Ha ha! many of them don't even carry fare chart / card with them, carrying first aid booklet would be a big task.
I glad I amuse you shipnil. IMO it's this very pessimistic nature of our citizens that is the core of 90% of our problems.

Anyways, I'm yet to come across one cabbie in Bombay who did not carry a fare chart.
Old 30th September 2010, 16:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... I'm yet to come across one cabbie in Bombay who did not carry a fare chart.
^ I agree

Logical solution would be :
Print first-aid chart on the other side of the fare chart!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, I'm yet to come across one cabbie in Bombay who did not carry a fare chart.
Not meaning to sound pessimistic but I have come across some cabbies in Mumbai and several in Pune driving around without a fare chart.
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

All heavy commercial vehicle drivers MUST attend a First Aid class to get their license.
Did you know?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote