Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2012, 19:26   #91
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have a rose plant kept in a plastic pot.
Best is clay pot,the usual one.It works naturally in roses for maintaining temp.at root zone.
No need to use those materials mentioned by you in the last line.Absolute no need.Roses need more than 3 hours of sunshine.Watering daily is absolute NO NO,feed only once it needs.I feed my roses once in 10 days in winter and thrice in a week in summer when mercury reaches to 40+*C here.Due to your overwatering rootrot must have developed,just let me know are you satisfied with the over all growth of your plant after you bought it?Which type of rose plant it is?Do give me its name if possible.
If I was you then I would have removed it from the pot and softly clean all its roots by flowing water,in this process all effected roots I would like to cut to avoid any further infections in root zone.(post a pic.of your plant if possible in your reply).
While buying a new roses I do below-
I put them in a big pot which has inside dia.of atleast 18 inches and 2 feet deep.Then select a loam type soil and put 2 Tbl.spoon of Superphosphate near the root area.Don't worry plant will not burnout due to this.
Then while adding soil finally I use Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom Salts)same qty.of 2 Tbl.spoon just above the roots and cover it with more soil.Apply this twice in a year for healthy growth of your plant and bigger stems and bright flowers.
I hope this helps.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 19:37   #92
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Now i want to put up a small kitchen garden in an area about 6ft x6 ft for leafy & other vegetables. Any suggestions ? What kind of veges grow easily ? Any hints on taking care of them ?
Go here,
http://www.natuecocityfarming.blogspot.in/

then here,
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xix...m-p-part-4_fun

Finally go here and try to use this soil in your kitchen garden,
http://www.natuecocityfarming.blogsp...1_archive.html
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 00:32   #93
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 553
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post

Best is clay pot,the usual one.It works naturally in roses for maintaining temp.at root zone.
No need to use those materials mentioned by you in the last line.Absolute no need.Roses need more than 3 hours of sunshine.Watering daily is absolute NO NO,feed only once it needs.I feed my roses once in 10 days in winter and thrice in a week in summer when mercury reaches to 40+*C here.Due to your overwatering rootrot must have developed,just let me know are you satisfied with the over all growth of your plant after you bought it?Which type of rose plant it is?Do give me its name if possible.
If I was you then I would have removed it from the pot and softly clean all its roots by flowing water,in this process all effected roots I would like to cut to avoid any further infections in root zone.(post a pic.of your plant if possible in your reply).
While buying a new roses I do below-
I put them in a big pot which has inside dia.of atleast 18 inches and 2 feet deep.Then select a loam type soil and put 2 Tbl.spoon of Superphosphate near the root area.Don't worry plant will not burnout due to this.
Then while adding soil finally I use Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom Salts)same qty.of 2 Tbl.spoon just above the roots and cover it with more soil.Apply this twice in a year for healthy growth of your plant and bigger stems and bright flowers.
I hope this helps.
That really helps, will post a picture of it how it looked when we bought and how it looks now. Will buy a clay pot and do what you have suggested.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 09:32   #94
BHPian
 
rm_arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 448
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

My rose plants dry out at the edges and all tender leaves / branches blacken out and start drying , it has flowered only twice in last 1 year even though it bears lots of buds which eventually dry and fall down . pls suggest how to revive these plants

We have an active kitchen garden at our weekend home ,we grow ladies finger( we would have got around 10kgs of produce in about 1.5 months ),chillies,2-3 types of greens , brinjal,curry leaves, coriander leaves , mint , ginger,bottle gourd, bitter gourd,3 plantain trees .

My friend at chennai has similar garden and managed to procure Hybrid Ridge gourd from Tamilnadu Horticulture institute and each seed cost Rs.300 , each full grown gourd grows upto 3.5 - 4ft .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 09:40   #95
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

@rm_arjuna 99% roots died due to some disease or rootrot,you cannot revive this plant but still you may try method which I posted in my last post-take out the plant from soil and check roots,cut dried black color roots and replant the plant to see if it survives or not.
This may happen due to viral disease but in most cases rootrot is the cause.If possible post picture of your plant to find exact reason behind this drying process.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 09:58   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have a rose plant kept in a plastic pot. I have made holes in it for the excess water to seep out. Now the problem is, the plant just gives new leaves by shedding/drying off the older leaves. No flowers yet. We bought it this August. Water it daily once and in the morning it will have sunshine. Now how to get the flowers in it. Other than egg shells/onion skin, havent fed her much.

Has it grown tall ? Have you tried pruning it ? I too had a few such pots , I had bought it from a street side vendor . It kept growing but never flowered . Later I learnt that there are some non flowering rose plants . In Kannada it is called as "kantri gida" or "cunning plant". Keeps growing but never flowers.

Prune it once nicely and add some manure . Check for another one month, if there is no progress you can dispose the plant.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:59   #97
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 553
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Best is clay pot,the usual one.It works naturally in roses for maintaining temp.at root zone.
No need to use those materials mentioned by you in the last line.Absolute no need.Roses need more than 3 hours of sunshine.Watering daily is absolute NO NO,feed only once it needs.I feed my roses once in 10 days in winter and thrice in a week in summer when mercury reaches to 40+*C here.Due to your overwatering rootrot must have developed,just let me know are you satisfied with the over all growth of your plant after you bought it?Which type of rose plant it is?Do give me its name if possible.
If I was you then I would have removed it from the pot and softly clean all its roots by flowing water,in this process all effected roots I would like to cut to avoid any further infections in root zone.(post a pic.of your plant if possible in your reply).
While buying a new roses I do below-
I put them in a big pot which has inside dia.of atleast 18 inches and 2 feet deep.Then select a loam type soil and put 2 Tbl.spoon of Superphosphate near the root area.Don't worry plant will not burnout due to this.
Then while adding soil finally I use Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom Salts)same qty.of 2 Tbl.spoon just above the roots and cover it with more soil.Apply this twice in a year for healthy growth of your plant and bigger stems and bright flowers.
I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Has it grown tall ? Have you tried pruning it ? I too had a few such pots , I had bought it from a street side vendor . It kept growing but never flowered . Later I learnt that there are some non flowering rose plants . In Kannada it is called as "kantri gida" or "cunning plant". Keeps growing but never flowers.

Prune it once nicely and add some manure . Check for another one month, if there is no progress you can dispose the plant.
The day we bought the rose plant with a rose bloomed in it.
Name:  0546.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  250.4 KB

This is the current status of the rose plant.
Gardening experts in tbhp?-100623.jpg

Recently the leaves are getting a black patches to it, don't know why.
Name:  100648.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  220.7 KB

After I prune, the new leaves emerge. But no sign of a bud.
Name:  100635.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  95.5 KB

Yes, it has definitely grown taller, but it did gave a bloom when with the vendor.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 12:04   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

@dreams ,

It looks like it wont flower again . It could be one of those plants I had mentioned earlier . Give it some more sunshine and see for another one month. If there are no signs of buds ,you can dispose the plant.

yes for the first time it blooms , because it could have been paired with another flowering rose plant , which eventually dies.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 12:22   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 9,944
Thanked: 15,275 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Some more Orchids..

Gardening experts in tbhp?-dsc03682.jpg
Gardening experts in tbhp?-dsc03680.jpg
Gardening experts in tbhp?-dsc03681.jpg
Gardening experts in tbhp?-dsc03679.jpg
Gardening experts in tbhp?-dsc03685.jpg


Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:29   #100
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

@dre@ms
Quote:
The day we bought the rose plant with a rose bloomed in it.
I think this plant will survive,follow steps mentioned below.

#Use bigger pot,this plant tends to grow in full(I forgot the name of it rt now,sorry but thats a side effect of diabetes!),place it where it can have maximum sunlight in current season.Your current pot is too small.
#Move this pot to sunlight and apply super phosphate.
#I am 100% sure that you will have a fresh bloom again,kindly feed less but often if you are not going to change the pot,this is small and may require frequent feeding.Feed in small qty.in that case.
#You should apply one tea sp.of vinegar diluted in 200 ml.water to your rose plant for speedy recovery from current state but problem is I have no idea of current pH of your soil filled in the pot hence avoid this step imho.
All the best.

Last edited by ECM : 27th December 2012 at 17:42. Reason: added a line
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 20:13   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Some more Orchids..
Really beautiful orchids Volkman! You seem to have a great collection that have nicely acclimatized to your home Any pointers to places where I can source these plants in Bangalore?
xoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 21:55   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 9,944
Thanked: 15,275 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoom View Post
Any pointers to places where I can source these plants in Bangalore?

You would get them at the flower shows @ Lal Bagh. Tried sending a PM, but I guess it is turned off.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 17:27   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
You would get them at the flower shows @ Lal Bagh.
Picked up a couple at Indo Amercian Hybrid Seeds on Kanakapura Road today - thanks for the inspiration . Will try Lal Bagh next week.

Name:  Orchid_1.PNG
Views: 383
Size:  567.2 KB

Name:  Orchid_2.PNG
Views: 386
Size:  741.2 KB

Name:  Orchid_3.PNG
Views: 383
Size:  661.7 KB
xoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 13:51   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

I picked up a strawberry plant from a nursery a couple of weeks ago. But the pigeons around my apartment apparently didn't like this and are now hell bent on killing this plant.
Any suggestions from the gardening experts here on how to save the plant? Basically prevent the pigeons from attacking this plant.
yosbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 16:45   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 508
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Gardening experts in tbhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I picked up a strawberry plant from a nursery a couple of weeks ago. But the pigeons around my apartment apparently didn't like this and are now hell bent on killing this plant.
Any suggestions from the gardening experts here on how to save the plant? Basically prevent the pigeons from attacking this plant.

You can cover the plant in a net (like they do in the nursery) , if you want a permanent solution , you can contact pest control India . Apparently they have a solution for keeping the pigeons away.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Experts (Fixing scratched / broken windshields / windscreens) manticore Modifications & Accessories 112 28th November 2015 10:10
Calling all the Photoshop Experts! Rtech Modifications & Accessories 183 19th January 2007 20:36
modification experts in Delhi??? kpzen Modifications & Accessories 5 24th February 2006 21:27
PHOTOSHOP experts , pls help !! khaadu75 Motorbikes 0 26th November 2005 17:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks