Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 6th October 2010, 14:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs down CWG OC Media Agency now plagiarises images!

Here we go guys:
My friend Abhinav (robin234@gmail.com) has found his photo plagiariased by the OC's agency none less. The proof is below (ToI, Oct 5, 2010).

CWG OC Media Agency now plagiarises images!-5056187651_0403b0b745_b.jpg

How should one take it forward now? Shameless #(*#$(*#$s.

Please do spread the word!

PS: I recognize its probably the agency at fault - definitely the OC would not encourage such a practice.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:01   #2
BHPian

I did not get this, how come OC get your picture until you give it to them ? OR someone who can pass it on to them ?

Also, I am unsure that whether it will be possible to prove that it is plagiarized. This event was open for all and they can say that it was taken by one of their photographers.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Write to the Advertising Standards Council of India and demand redressal.
You can find them via google - their office is in Bombay.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@SinghBHP:
I'm sure he realizes that. however, getting the exact same perspective and exposure is pretty nigh impossible. the original is here:
Spectacular Start | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

His image would've come up in some search. or suchlike. or one of the forums he posted it.

But if it really gets dragged into court, they'd find it impossible to share the unprocessed original image, no?
Old 6th October 2010, 15:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@SinghBHP:
I'm sure he realizes that. however, getting the exact same perspective and exposure is pretty nigh impossible. the original is here:
Spectacular Start | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

His image would've come up in some search. or suchlike. or one of the forums he posted it.

But if it really gets dragged into court, they'd find it impossible to share the unprocessed original image, no?

>> Yes,you are right they may not be able to share unprocessed Image. I am sure that these are shameless people and will not answer to any query other than the court's notice. However, point is " only if" he is willing to go to court on this !!!!
Old 6th October 2010, 15:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

The CWG OC and impropriety? They will die in shame if you bring it to their notice. They will not tolerate any black mark on their Nirma clean image.

But, it is quite possible if two photographers are seated near each other. It is a huge frame after all.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP View Post
I did not get this, how come OC get your picture until you give it to them ? OR someone who can pass it on to them ?

Also, I am unsure that whether it will be possible to prove that it is plagiarized. This event was open for all and they can say that it was taken by one of their photographers.
I too think in the same lines like SinghBHP.
I agree plagiarism should not happen. But, what is the impact for your friend? How can you substantiate that original is yours and not the TOIs? They can argue it the other way because its a public event, right? Probably, the two photographers may be sitting next to each other.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 6th October 2010 at 15:45.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:48   #8
BHPian

I doubt that India has the Technology or Lab where two RAW photos can be compared for their authenticity.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP View Post
I doubt that India has the Technology or Lab where two RAW photos can be compared for their authenticity.
I am sure there is some sort of forensic lab that does this type of work for court cases in India. I have read of cases where their findings have been used in a couple of cases.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:
My friend has been contacted by the agency responsible and they want to compensate for the same .let see how it goes - Will let everyone know tomorrow end of day/Saturday.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'm sure the 366 odd views have contributed - a couple of BHPians even emailed him!

@mods - Kindly lock it till then.

Note from Moderator: Thread locked on OP request.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th October 2010 at 22:35. Reason: Thread Locked.
Closed Thread