Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th October 2010, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Default A Guide : Eating out in Sydney!!!!

Hi all,

Opening this thread to help Indians find tasty indian food along with similar cusinies which impresses the taste buds in SYDNEY ,Australia.It
would be great if you people also provide the cost of the same too.

cheers
msvg
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 17:03   #2
BHPian

I've had many a memorable meal in Sydney. One of the best was in a restaurant overlooking the harbour and the Opera House called Imperial Peking Harbourside.

It was my first day in Sydney and we wanted to try something different. So we walked in to Imperial Peking mainly because they had Kangaroo and Crocodile on the menu. What an experience it was!

We chose a table in the open area with a fabulous view of the harbour. It was a cold winter evening with a heated canopy over our table. Ordered some entrees and for the mains we ordered Kangaroo meat in Sichuan sauce and Crocodile with shallots along with some fried rice. Both mains were absolutely divine, though I liked the Kangaroo slightly better than the crocodile. The menu was very interesting with options like duck, abalone and sea urchins apart from the usual chicken, fish etc. The prices are a bit higher than usual but the food is definitely worth it. Perfect place for a dinner date! For rates and menu you can visit their website Imperial Peking Harbourside Restaurant Sydney .

Note from Team-Bhp Support: Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving and any mention of alcohol. Hence posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) are not allowed.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2010 at 11:10.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 17:37   #3
SMK
BHPian

Good Indian Restaurants are available in Parramatta area, Harry's Park area. I found Billu's and Hyderabad House to be good.
There are quite a few Pakistani restaurants as well on the Parramatta road. The shopping mall in Rhodes has an Indian Stall which we used to visit often.
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 10:02   #4
BHPian

Tried Chutneys in paramatta and Westfield's Food court - North indian flavors on Market street.Food was good ,infact tasty,tried only north indian but it was worth the price .Both places around 15$ heavy indian meal.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a list of them in an excel sheet.

Will send you the same via email. Please pm your mail id.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 07:02   #6
BHPian

hi all,

Tried a couple of places lately here in Sydney.
Billus - Thali and snacks was good,Biryani was OK
Haveli - Non Veg thali was excellent - Biryani was ok
Hyderabad house - Biryani and Tandoori chicken was excellent.
Taj Masala house - Channa bathura was good
all of them in paramatta area.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:00   #7
BHPian

No offense but why would you want to eat just Indian food when you're in a different part of the world?

I'm going to be visiting again very shortly. Would appreciate if folks could post reviews of restaurants serving other cuisines. Perhaps some reviews of good restaurants serving Italian, Japanese, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, French, Greek, Thai etc.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 16:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

I remember going to this Italian restaurant in the Italian area of Sydney (Haberfield is it?). It was called Il locale, and apparently they used only local ingredients for their food. But the food was excellent, pizzas and pastas. One of the best Pizzas ive ever had. Its authentic Italian and not American style pizzas and pastas.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 09:12   #9
BHPian

Burger update i must say...
Hungry Jacks and Mac D serve very good chicken burger...
But i any day i would prefer MacD Fillet o fish burger,Strawberry smoothie and fries..
Also had CHicken wrap in Flemington market ,i must say awesome is the word....
Also had been to Parramasala 2010 ,the food was good ,so was Mango lassi and sweets it is...Hip hip hurray to the organisers it was amazing....
Old 11th November 2010, 09:50   #10
SMK
BHPian

If you are into burgers, then try APORTO.. nothing beats the taste of it. If you liked the MacDs and Hungry Jacks then you would Love the Aporto.
Also, be careful when you eat at Flemington Markets.
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 11:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
If you are into burgers, then try APORTO.. nothing beats the taste of it. If you liked the MacDs and Hungry Jacks then you would Love the Aporto.
Also, be careful when you eat at Flemington Markets.
Yes i am aware that SMK...
I tried Oporto too sorry forgot to mention that ...Your correct they beat all others.....

Hey can u suggest good chinese sea food in SYDNEY townhall area or in the suburbs.I am not into pork or beef so advice accordingly
Old 11th November 2010, 12:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you are visiting Sydney, try the Ogalo/Oporto chicken.. And the biggest pizza I had ever eaten was in Arthur's Pizza in Randwick. For students, best place to dine in Randwick (near UNSW) is 'Taste of Thai', amazing food at less penny..

For desi food, had been to Maya Sweets at Surry hills many times - a tad expensive, but you get all kind of North Indian dhaba items..
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 12:51   #13
BHPian

Default Re: A Guide : Eating out in Sydney!!!!

During my last visit, apart from the food joints at China Town and other places, I craved for indian food and dined at Maya sweets on cleveland street, Surrey Hills which is not far from Central station.
Surprisngly, masala dosa was the best. Tandoori and other items were OK. Most of the times it is very crowded. Bollywood movies / songs are continuosly played on the TVs in the restaurant.
I also remember the delicous Fish 'N' Chips served at a small outlet run by an italian family at Circualr Quay (just below CQ rail station). This is the place where one boards the ferry for Zoo.
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 15:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
No offense but why would you want to eat just Indian food when you're in a different part of the world?

I'm going to be visiting again very shortly. Would appreciate if folks could post reviews of restaurants serving other cuisines. Perhaps some reviews of good restaurants serving Italian, Japanese, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, French, Greek, Thai etc.
Ayam Go-reng 99 in Kingsford has proper Indonesian food, its cheap at about $8 for Javanese style chicken with rice, the place is not fancy at all just normal.

Crocodile Senior Thai on George St in Sydney CBD has really good Thai food, prices are alright too ~15$ for a main. Waitresses are usually cute and the Ambience is very busy but good

Xic Lo Noodle Bar on Ultimo Rd CBD was the best Pho (Vietnamese Beef noodle soup) in the city but its gone now, Saigon on George street is the next best one.

Ramen Kan in Haymarket has best Ramen in CBD (personal opinion) the place it self is nice enough, if you can find the door to get in. I think its pretty cheap maybe ~15$ for a main IIRC.

Pepper lunch is anice Japanese fast food but not really fast food style restaurant, beef/chicken/vegetarian and rice served on a sizzling plate is what I usually get ~15$ Sydney CBD (George street)

Mappen is the same fast food but not fast food type restaurant, also Japanese but more noodles than rice behind Pepper Lunch on George street close to the Greater Union cinema (can not miss it) good selection of tempura, nice Udon here too ~$15

Last train to Bombay in Crows Nest (Cross the Harbour bridge from the city) has REALLY nice Indian food the Bryani is the best I've in Aus ~$30 for a main

Jaipur on Pitt Street (CBD) also in Paramatta (Near westfield) is good Indian food, cheaper than Last train to Bombay and proper South Indian tea and its ~$15 for a main the ambience is usually pretty nice and the Paramatta one sometimes has a buffet.

Leichardt / Haberfield for Italian food - Sorry, can't provide specifics.

Auburn for authentic Turkish / Lebanese style such as Pide, Pizza, Kebab any shop near the station there. $20 for a pizza that 3 people will struggle to finish, kebabs / Pide is usual price ~$10

Surry Hills has lots of trendy places all kinds (Brazilian, Japanese, Greek) but be prepared to wait in line / make a reservation and pay ~40$ for a main.

Ottos in Wollomollo is nice, Italian restaurant but not just Spaghetti, they do a really nice duck sweet chilli flavor and Wagyu ox tongue bit more expensive maybe ~100$ p/p

SakeSake in Cammeray, they have 15$ Sushi rolls, the best sushi rolls I've ever had. Also green tea brule which is really nice and made fresh. This place can get expensive.

Habibs in Bankstown, nice roasted Chicken but the reason to go is the garlic sauce and the fresh Lebanese bread, they have more Lebanese food on the menu but only the chicken is good. Cheapish ~20$

Charlies Burgers
in Pitt Street Mall, gourmet burgers ~20$ and the only place to get chips that are double fried and then coated in truffle oil and parmesan cheese $8, they do salads and other sides which are about the same. Really worth the money

Opera Bar @ Opera house, i never ate here only gone for drinks and snacks but the menu looks good and the view is a million bucks. Stop here, share a bottle of wine ~30$

Have dinner / desert at the Shangrila if you can. ~$200 but maybe worth it for the desert table alone. Make sure you don't eat all day to prepare for this =) 5-star hotels in Sydney are basically the same as 5 star hotels anywhere, so make no extra effort to try them.

Going for a lay down...

Last edited by Paulstar : 21st March 2011 at 15:17.
Paulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 20:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I have a list of them in an excel sheet.

Will send you the same via email. Please pm your mail id.

It would be really helpful for us all if you could post the Excel file here, try attaching it.
Furebo is offline   Reply With Quote