Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th October 2010, 18:21   #1
BHPian

Default Lost My License - Any Suggestions?

Thanks to my carelessness, my license fell down a few days back while getting down from my car's backseat. Among other things, the wallet contained my gearless license and laminated R.C card. I went to the police station to register a complaint on misplacing it and also received a copy of the same.

Now, the thing is I went to the RTO and was told to fill the form no (12) for destroying the old license and issuing a new duplicate license. After filling it up, they told me to fill some Smart Card form too. On both the forms, I left the license number "blank" since I had forgotten it. The officer then told me that since you have forgotten your number, you need to get a new license

Is it even legal for a single person to have 2 licenses under the same name? I don't want to go for a new learner's license and then get a permanent one. Is there any way I can get my license number (I don't have any xerox copies of the license)? Someone even mentioned me to get the number via RTI act. Waiting for your suggestions on the same

Last edited by prateekm : 8th October 2010 at 18:25.
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where did you have the original license made? Try to go to that RTO. they might have the records. Its the RTO or the RTI
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Where did you have the original license made? Try to go to that RTO. they might have the records. Its the RTO or the RTI
I went to the same RTO but they were pretty lazy to check the records for my number, and were instead telling me to get a new one made !
Old 8th October 2010, 18:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I went to the same RTO but they were pretty lazy to check the records for my number, and were instead telling me to get a new one made !
Pot calling the kettle black, Prateek? If you haven't taken the trouble to remember your license number, why expect the RTO to go to any trouble on your behalf?

I suggest you bite the bullet and have a new license made. How bad can it be? Not like you'll flunk the DT or anything
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:49   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Prateek. I always keep a xerox of all important docs related to my car in triplicate. One I place in my car itself. One I leave it in my house outside. One I lock it safe inside. Now this xerox set has these. RC of car (smart card), insurance document, PUC certificate, DL, vehicle registration (old - in the name of first owner).

Have you kept copies of your DL like this anywhere? Did you take copies of your DL for anything like applying for credit card etc? If you rummage through your old junk, do have a look whether you can find xerox of your license. If you'd claimed insurance for anything, your license number goes in to the claim. You can get your license number that way and go back to the RTO with the license number.

For some strange reason, I'd even mentioned my DL numbers in my cv 8 years back. Both Indian as well as US! You may have mentioned your license some place like that.

Last edited by MX6 : 8th October 2010 at 18:51.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Take a picture of your driving license and email it to yourself NOW.

Sorry prateekm, that advice is a little late for you.
But RTI seems to be a very good idea.
Maybe remembering the rough time period, when your license was issued might help, when dealing with the rto.

Last edited by bblost : 8th October 2010 at 18:56.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 14:35   #7
BHPian

I had a xerox copy of my license somewhere at home but searched the whole day but couldn't find it. Then I tried remembering the places where I had given my license as an identity proof. I had used it thrice for purchasing SIM cards and once recently for cash withdrawal of dad's cheque.

So today morning went to ICICI bank and they were kind to give me two xerox copies of my license Will go to the RTO tomorrow and get a duplicate license issued.
Old 9th October 2010, 18:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Faced this problem 7 - 8 years ago. Had to pay an agent 800 Rs. He spent 2 days in RTO office tracking down license based on partial number, name and year.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 11:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good idea is approach a driving school & get the job done through them which the RTO refuses & simply pay for their service; do this if you're adamant on getting a new license number.

Best thing is bargain with a driving school for taking the driving license & show them how to make 8, 9, 10 or even 11 (like the movie Indian) & get a new license. Since you already know driving, it shouldn't be a big deal for you. Just a day off from work is suffice.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 12:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post

Is it even legal for a single person to have 2 licenses under the same name? I don't want to go for a new learner's license and then get a permanent one.
It should not be legal, but wonder how the RTO person say this . BTW, I myself have 2 licenses of the same License number. When I got my first license, it was only for light motor vehicles. Then a couple of years later, when I approached the agent to apply for 2 wheelers license, he suggested that getting a new card will be faster that modifying the old one. So, now I have 2 cards with same number, one has only 4 wheelers, and the other has both 4 and 2 wheelers.
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 13:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

First, think hard - have you used the DL copy for some address / Identity proof? Like mobile connection / bank loan / gas connection whatever?

If "ekm" in your handle is supposed to mean some district in KL, you may be lucky. They have computerised the entire records; even my mother's DL issued in 1950s is computerised. (errr.. it si still valid and operational and used).

Of course, you will have to take the RighT Initiatives. Gandhi brand grease applied with the agent is only way out. For once, this is more payment for professional services and not bribe.

Of course, how come you have the "gearless" license separate? Additional licenses are always endorsed on the older license.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 13:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Though Illegal, but a common practice in Delhi, right outside the RTO - Color Photocopy.

I got myself 6 copies made for Rs. 200. Original lies at home, while the photocopy lies in my wallet. In a case, where you dont have money and the cop wants to challan you.. handover the license to him. You dont anything to lose other than 33.33 bucks! (thanks to our judiciary system!)
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 17:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Though Illegal, but a common practice in Delhi, right outside the RTO - Color Photocopy.
Though a little OT, would like to share an info.

This is the reason why the TN Govt has a column in the forum stating whether one needs additional DL copy. The Govt charges about Rs 30 for it & provides a copy of DL exactly like the original & laminated. Its hard to find out the difference between original & the copy.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 18:25   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Lost My License - Any Suggestions?

*Bump*

I have lost my DL. I used to use a laminated colour xerox for everyday use and the original was at home. Now, its misplaced during the house shifting.

Advice required on getting a Duplicate issued also will a duplicate DL create issues while trying to use the same abroad.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 19:25   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Lost My License - Any Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
*Bump*

I have lost my DL. I used to use a laminated colour xerox for everyday use and the original was at home. Now, its misplaced during the house shifting.

Advice required on getting a Duplicate issued also will a duplicate DL create issues while trying to use the same abroad.
As long as you have the license number with you, getting a duplicate won't be an issue. I just had to fill up the 'Smart Card Request Form' again and request for a new card. The new smart card costs about 200-250 here if I remember right. I don't think the 'duplicate' word should create issues abroad, it's just written in small fonts in a corner.