Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th October 2010, 14:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Another option which could be thought of might be the RTO registered cities For Eg: Mumbai has MH01/02/03 whereas Thane has MH04 and so on. Just an suggestion.
The only issue here is that there are a lot of MH04 cars based in proper bombay (MH01,MH02 areas) as well and vice-a-versa. So what can you do about that? The current system is better i think.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 17:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I registered yesterday, and today received an email:
Quote:
Dear thad@_________.com,

Your subscription for listings on http://classifieds.team-bhp.com has just expired. To renew it, please log in and go to the "Subscription" page.

Administrator of http://classifieds.team-bhp.com
I can't even see a "subscriptions" page, although maybe I didn't look hard enough.

What's this about?

<confused>
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 17:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey Thad, could it be that you subscribed to the classifieds section from the forum?

Quick Links > Subscribed threads ?

Last edited by sammyboy : 14th October 2010 at 17:33.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 18:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I registered yesterday, and today received an email: I can't even see a "subscriptions" page, although maybe I didn't look hard enough.

What's this about?

<confused>
I got the same mail.

Maybe the mod folk can comment.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 18:20   #35
Team-BHP Support

Just discovered the most amazing bug. This morning I tried my Goregaon pincode 400062 and guess what it didn't give any results. So I thought maybe I haven't figured out how to use this feature yet and moved on. Just now I happened on this thread and people claiming they could use the ZIPcode thingy correctly, so gave it another shot. And 400062 is *still* not working! I then tried everything from 400060 to 400064 and also some random stuff like my Pune and Bangalore codes: all of them worked!

The only explanation I can think of is that the Motilal Nagar, Goregaon (West) post office got a new pincode many years ago (400104) and maybe '62 isn't used officially anymore. FYI, we still address all letters home as Mumbai-62 and the post office never fails to deliver!

Rehaan, GTO- what is the source of your PINcode data?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 18:21   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Can we have a 'want to buy' section too, where buyers can put requirements and prospective sellers may contact them?
Ani,

Will get back to you soon with an alternate to the "want to buy" section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Good work guys, but the new Classifieds is comparatively slower to open pages (believe its the flash!).
There's no flash, but we will be doing a few things to improve the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
a) When I zoom a specific picture, the zoom always starts from the first pic.
b) The close button isnt visible in my browser (IE 8) and I had a hard time closing the zoomed picture. Can You make the zoom go away, when clicking anywhere except the pic.
Noted. Thanks.

Also the "Reason for sale" column exists for the non-vehicle sections, but we might just bring it back for the vehicles too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thanks for the info. The reason for my requirement was that Thane alone has 15 zip codes whereas Mumbai might have a lot more than that....
If you could tell me what parameters you want to search by and for what purpose - that would help me understand this. Forget about the software and features, just tell me what you'd want w.r.t a vehicle and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrish21 View Post
Thanks Rehaan - upgraded to IE 7.
Please thank me when you upgrade to Firefox, Chrome, or Opera!!! But not IE7

Quote:
I registered yesterday, and today received an email:
Thad and others who received this email - it seems to have been sent out due to an error with the software. Apologies for that! Will look into the issue.

Thanks,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th October 2010 at 18:28.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 18:39   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
...I tried my Goregaon pincode 400062 and guess what it didn't give any results...

...The only explanation I can think of is that the Motilal Nagar, Goregaon (West) post office got a new pincode many years ago (400104) and maybe '62 isn't used officially anymore...
What you have mentioned seems to be the case. If you try 400104, you should get results. 400062 no longer exists in the database!

cya
R
Old 14th October 2010, 22:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your attention to the sunscription email thing. This looks like a pretty major implementation, and some funny stuff is bound to happen. At least your (initial, at least) market is a friendly community and we can take it in our stride
Old 14th October 2010, 23:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Do not agree with the decision of opening the classifieds section for non-BHPians. The least you guys can do is let us filter out ads from non BHPians.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 23:50   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

barely knowing, yet, how it will work... I'd say that there is some concern about divorcing the classifieds identity from the forum identity.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I registered yesterday, and today received an email
+1
I also got it & went crazy trying to find the "Subscription" link in the new classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Do not agree with the decision of opening the classifieds section for non-BHPians. The least you guys can do is let us filter out ads from non BHPians.

It would have been great if the classifieds was for BHPians only just like it was earlier. Perhaps its going commercial now but like Pranav pointed out, please do give us the option of filtering out ads from non BHPians.

It could be part of our profile options so that when we keep it ticked, we can always only see ads that are from BHPians unless we untick the option from our profile options. This will help in not having to click on a filter everytime we log in to the classifieds.

Quote:
barely knowing, yet, how it will work... I'd say that there is some concern about divorcing the classifieds identity from the forum identity.
Was just thinking and got a random thought. Since the new classifieds is seperate in accounts & we can add our BHP handles on our own, this can be grossly misused. Say i make an account & put in a random BHP handle. What can we do to prevent this? Perhaps the system can cross-reference the email ids given in the classified & the BHP acccount and only then approve the BHP handle link in the classified account.

Last edited by Xehaust : 15th October 2010 at 09:00.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 10:52   #42
BHPian

Exclamation My reservations

Quote:
I feel the same too.
Few of my suggestions..

1. There are many corrupt practices being followed by online vendors everywhere, How can we have a control on others, when they are not the members of TBHP Family ?
2. You block one user name; they will come up with another within no time, as there is no way to control them. A BHPian can at-least be scrutinized easily by way of the forum.
3.Having said that, I don't mind others accessing the classified section for buying purposes as it is now. (you need not be a member to buy from the classifieds)

If we still plan to continue with open classifieds section,

1.It is a good idea to levy some minimal fee for listing the AD (I actually think it is a must !)

2. I would always prefer to buy from a fellow BHPian, so there should be some way to search for ads posted by BHPIans.

3. Trust ratings for Sellers should be initiated.

4.Pictures of the actual product for sale(not the internet downloaded pics of the product) should be made mandatory (with date & username)

5.A small discussion section below the listed product (a thread on questions asked by buyers to the seller & Seller's reply for the same) should be entertained. This will help each & every buyer avoid contacting the seller for the same question again & again. This will help the seller too. By keeping a QA section below the product; seller will not be able to conceal or mislead any relevant information about the product. This will help the buyer to get proper info as Make of accessories, condition etc.

6.By keeping a QA section below the product , the seller can be advised for the competitive pricing, better quality pics etc. He can revise the price easily.
drkritik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 11:28   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The least you guys can do is let us filter out ads from non BHPians.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
I would always prefer to buy from a fellow BHPian, so there should be some way to search for ads posted by BHPIans.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
...please do give us the option of filtering out ads from non BHPians.

We are working on a way to identify ads listed by BHPians.

If all goes as planned :
- There will be a BHPian! badge shown on their ads >
- There will be a way to search for only ads listed by BHPians (via advanced search)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
...Say i make an account & put in a random BHP handle. What can we do to prevent this?
For the BHPian badge mentioned above, accounts will be verified.

NOTE: This will probably also be restricted to BHPian membership level and above. Still not finalized.
Also, as mentioned in GTO's opening post - these members will be able to list their own vehicles for free, even after the Classifieds becomes a paid service.

Quote:
2. You block one user name; they will come up with another within no time, as there is no way to control them.
+
1.It is a good idea to levy some minimal fee for listing the AD (I actually think it is a must !)
See the combination of your posts above. You've mentioned the problem and a solution.
(Please re-read GTO's opening post as well w.r.t listing fees).

Quote:
3. Trust ratings for Sellers should be initiated.

5.A small discussion section below the listed product (a thread on questions asked by buyers to the seller & Seller's reply for the same) should be entertained. This will help each & every buyer avoid contacting the seller for the same question again & again. This will help the seller too. By keeping a QA section below the product; seller will not be able to conceal or mislead any relevant information about the product. This will help the buyer to get proper info as Make of accessories, condition etc.

6.By keeping a QA section below the product , the seller can be advised for the competitive pricing, better quality pics etc. He can revise the price easily.
These features might be added at a later stage, but no promises on this one.

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming,
Rehaan.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th October 2010 at 12:17.
Old 15th October 2010, 11:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Kindly include Xylo in the Mahindra drop down list. And I tried editing description, however unable to.

Last edited by beejay : 15th October 2010 at 11:50.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 12:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Kindly include Xylo in the Mahindra drop down list.
If you select "Other" when listing an ad, the make/model you specify in the description will automatically be created as a category when your ad gets approved. (You probably noticed this now that your Xylo ad is listed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
And I tried editing description, however unable to.
I'm not sure i understand this.
Could you please reply to any of the emails you received from Team-BHP Classifieds and mention exactly what the issue was?

Cheers,
R