Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 11:12   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I wonder why you have filed an application in Nanital, when you yourself are in Delhi and the people associated with the film are in Mumbai.
Because our NGO is registered in Dehradun. We will be filing a petition in supreme court tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
And I wonder why you are on every single forum saying the same thing.
Raising awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Bottom line, the movie may be crass and the scenes may not show stammering in good light, but I do see the world today anyway being far to rough for our kids. Its a dog eat dog world and the sooner you can get your kids to accept that, the better. I have a few friends that stammer and I dont make fun of them, but they have all worked very hard to reduce it to a large extent and are today successful in thier own fields. they faced the same issues that you talk of as well, more than 20 years ago, without all of us even having heard of Golmal.....
So according to you, we shouldn't even try to make the world a better place for our next generation. We should let them slug it out themselves, like we did 20 years ago. Is this what you mean, or am I missing something?

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:18   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Try telling this to a 10 year old kid, who is made fun of by class bullies due to his stammering.

Nitin
Bullying is definetly a serious issue and puts a lot of pressure on Kid as well as parents.

Kids get bullied due to anything that makes them different. As parents, it does not matter whether they are bullied due to race / region / language or disability.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:25   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I wholeheartedly agree with you! In fact I had made the same point when watching the trailers on tv with my family. Its hardly funny and plain insult to people.
Sks_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:32   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Bullying is definetly a serious issue and puts a lot of pressure on Kid as well as parents.

Kids get bullied due to anything that makes them different. As parents, it does not matter whether they are bullied due to race / region / language or disability.
All the more reason to stop such crassness.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:33   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

I call spade a spade. You will be better off directing you efforts to help the people with stammer rather than filing a petition in court and burdening the judiciary unnecessarily. Believe me Golmaal or no Golmaal. People will make fun of differently abled people. Going by your logic all the movies in which fat people are made fun of will also be banned.

Face the facts. This is a rough and tough world. Rather then stopping others from making fun of stammers or whatever, we should make the person in question emotionally strong.

Do not give support. Do not shield it. Then the plant will forever be a creeper.
Make it strong so that it stands on its own.

I will not sign you online petition. Sorry.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:35   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

I am going to side with Netfreak here.
A joke is always at the cost of someone else. And a slapstick comedy like Golmaal 3 will always be hitting below the belt at someone or the other.
We need to lighten up. Already there are too many bans flying around. At this rate, India will become "Bandia"
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:36   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
All the more reason to stop such crassness.
I don't think that is the way out. We will have to disagree on that.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:38   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,563
Thanked: 2,773 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Just ask yourself: is it okay to make fun of disability in media? If answer is no- say so wherever you can - no matter what the world thinks or says.. Simple.
No, provided all other kinds of making fun too is not okay in the media such as "occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, disability, and age-related contexts" (took that phrase from wikipedia).

But i get your point about the kids and the impression they get, more so in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
And spare a thought about kids who stutter, how funny it would be for them?
For me it was hard in the beginning, but no big deal. Somehow i overcame the people making fun and stuttering.

Ps: I don't make fun of disabled, and i NEVER did. But i do make fun about a lot of other things which too wouldn't be politically correct.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:44   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I call spade a spade. You will be better off directing you efforts to help the people with stammer rather than filing a petition in court and burdening the judiciary unnecessarily. Believe me Golmaal or no Golmaal. People will make fun of differently abled people. Going by your logic all the movies in which fat people are made fun of will also be banned.

Face the facts. This is a rough and tough world. Rather then stopping others from making fun of stammers or whatever, we should make the person in question emotionally strong.

Do not give support. Do not shield it. Then the plant will forever be a creeper.
Make it strong so that it stands on its own.

I will not sign you online petition. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am going to side with Netfreak here.
A joke is always at the cost of someone else. And a slapstick comedy like Golmaal 3 will always be hitting below the belt at someone or the other.
We need to lighten up. Already there are too many bans flying around. At this rate, India will become "Bandia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I don't think that is the way out. We will have to disagree on that.

So you really believe that making fun of a fat guy and a stutterer is same. Stuttering is something which affect a person very hard psychologically. You have no idea how hard it is, to be not able to express yourself. How hard it is to not answer a question in class, even if you know the answer. How hard it is to not able to say "present sir". How hard it is to order what you want at a restaurant. How hard it is to ask for ticket at a booking window.

No man, you have no idea.

I have suffered all of this, and overcame it. But I decided to work for people who are not so fortunate, and that is why we started TISA - Welcome to The Indian Stammering Association. And we are making a difference through it, this petition is just a small part of it.

You guys think we are going overboard. Just visit IndianPWS : People Who Stutter / Stammer from India. This is a group for people who stutter. These are the people who have suffered. See their reactions.

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:03   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,855
Thanked: 15,416 Times
Default

Nice logic being thrown around.
I would also disagree with Ntomer now. You guys have convinced me.
I would also like to petition the supreme court to uphold freedom of speech and direct the govt not not pursue any cases in India and abroad which involve
1. Racial slurs or humor directed against Indians, for example recent Australian policemen emails and the New Zealand incident. As long there is no physical violence involved Indians should be directed to respond by laughing at themselves any time a racist joke or slur is directed at them
2. Stop prosecution of all people who are under trial for making fun or using derogatory words against certain castes
3. Allow minority/castist jokes
4. Allow people to make fun of specific groups, for example victims of a terrorist attack
5. Allow people to make fun of "certain claimed to exist" personalities sacred to some people following certain religious practices
.
.
.

The list goes on. Please contribute.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:04   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
So you really believe that making fun of a fat guy and a stutterer is same. Stuttering is something which affect a person very hard psychologically.
.
.
No man, you have no idea.

I have suffered all of this, and overcame it.
We all are happy for you that you overcame it. Kudos to you and appreciate the work you are doing for them.

But you seem to be under the impression that the humiliation a fat guy suffers in school/college is less worthy of attention than that of a stutterer. I think there you have no idea Sir.

If my child turns out to be a stutterer, i'll teach her how to deal with it, instead of screaming at teachers to stop her classmates from making fun of her.

Discrimination is a part of life. Sooner you learn to live with it, the better it is.

Last edited by amitoj : 28th October 2010 at 12:05.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:11   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If my child turns out to be a stutterer, i'll teach her how to deal with it, instead of screaming at teachers to stop her classmates from making fun of her.
God forbid, if she stutters. Because dealing stutter is not so easy as you make it sound to be. I myself am a pretty severe stutterer and have been involved with many children who stutter. The psychological scars, it carries with it are very deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Discrimination is a part of life. Sooner you learn to live with it, the better it is.
So I should just accept it and live on with it? No sir, I choose to fight it.

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:13   #43
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 756
Thanked: 307 Times
Default

Today these guys may make fun of stutterers, tomorrow they might make jokes on autism and alzheimer's. This all has to stop somewhere. If the creators of Golmaal can't make a film sans such crappy jokes, then the film shouldn't be made at all. How long will the sufferers will take it lying down? I signed the petition myself and got it signed by 4-5 people, which was the least I could do. Hope the director agrees to cut all the crap scenes from the movie and then show it in the theaters.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:22   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

I support efforts of ntomer and have signed the petition.

Freedom of speech or for that matter any type of freedom can not be absolute where every thing and any thing is permitted, and has to be used responsibly. Sadly our films & media people think that they are free to do what ever they like. This is not done.

Last edited by akj53 : 28th October 2010 at 12:25.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 12:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
God forbid, if she stutters. Because dealing stutter is not so easy as you make it sound to be. I myself am a pretty severe stutterer and have been involved with many children who stutter. The psychological scars, it carries with it are very deep.



So I should just accept it and live on with it? No sir, I choose to fight it.

Nitin
I know its not easy. Its not easy to deal with any handicap or anything that makes you stand out in the crowd. Invariably, you will be made fun of because of your uniqueness. Heck i have listened to enough "Sardar Ke 12 Baj Gaye" jokes to know what you are talking about.

The power to heal those scars comes not from banning external influences, but from within.

Anyway, each to his own.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1950's, 60's and 70's Hindi songs? GTO Shifting gears 207 16th March 2017 21:15
Greatest Hindi Comedy DCEite Shifting gears 68 21st July 2010 00:08
Biggest Scam of the year ? Karnataka HSR Plate golmaal!! Sunilrj The Indian Car Scene 44 30th July 2009 17:01
Cant Stop Laughing! Hindi Win Xp DCEite Shifting gears 8 16th October 2005 01:49
sites for hindi music ? Hatari Shifting gears 5 16th April 2005 10:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks