Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th September 2016, 17:00   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Have you guys got calls from a supposed NGO asking for money for kid at deathbed at some hospital?

The person calling will be frantic and would be speaking in a very distressed voice as if the world is going to end. Got the details of the supposed kid once and called up the hospital in which he was apparently admitted in. Turns out no such patient and no such cases.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 18:00   #32
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Have you guys got calls from a supposed NGO asking for money for kid at deathbed at some hospital?

The person calling will be frantic and would be speaking in a very distressed voice as if the world is going to end. Got the details of the supposed kid once and called up the hospital in which he was apparently admitted in. Turns out no such patient and no such cases.
The moment I hear NGO on my phone, I tell them I am a student and hence cannot donate anything.

Once a lady at the other end had the cheek to tell me that my voice sounds like that of a professional and not of a student. I gave her a nice little smashing and disconnected the call.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 10:54   #33
BHPian

Unfortunately the ladies in the house generally fall for the "Kid needs money for treatment" scam and they fall so bad that they actually go ahead with the process. I got a call like this once and I bluntly told them that I will not pay a penny since I cant verify. If its someone in my city who needs help, I will visit the patient in the hospital myself, talk tot he doctors, and then pay what I feel like else not a penny.

Wifey got such a call and she was almost in tears asking me what to do. I told her the same what I had been doing. The scamster had got a wind of her being emotional and actually creating a picture of the sick kid and she ended up calling up and pestering my wife many times. Finally asked my wife to do the same that I do.

Also I have noticed that such calls generally increase when on roaming which makes me believe that telecom operators are hand in gloves with these idiots. Also TRAI putting a ban and my number being registered in the DO NOT DISTURB registry seems to be making no difference at all.

These days, thanks to truecaller, half of these scam calls get blocked automatically and the remaining get blocked by me once the name gets displayed on the screen. A very handy app and kudos to the developers for creating it. Life has been more easier now.
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 08:49   #34
BHPian

This was forwarded as a joke at work ( because of you know what ), wasn't amusing though...

Apparently, this is big business, a casual search turned up tons of such videos !

Was shocked by how many people had been scammed & by how much !

im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote