Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th October 2010, 09:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Vote for Narayan Krishnan - only Indian on CNN heroes list

We can help Krishnan win!!

This is one of the most incredible stories of personal commitment
Narayanan Krishnan, all of 29 years old now, does what he was professionally trained to do as a chef. Feed people. Only Krishnan does not do this in the swanky confines of a 5-star hotel. Every day, he wakes up at 4 am, cooks a simple hot meal and then, along with his team, loads it in a van and travels about 200 km feeding the homeless in Madurai, Tamil Nadu.

Krishnan feeds, often with his hands, almost 400 destitute people every day. And for those who need it, he provides a free haircut tooAccording to CNN, eight years ago, this award-winning chef with a five-star hotel chain was all set to go to Switzerland for a high-profile posting. On a visit to a Madurai temple, he came across a homeless, old man eating his own human waste. That stark sight changed Krishnan's life.

Much to the dismay of his parents, CNN says, Krishnan abandoned his career plans and decided to spend his life and his professional training in looking after those who could not care for themselves. He has provided more than 1.2 million hot meals through his nonprofit organisation Akshaya Trust, and now hopes to extend this to shelter for the homeless too.

Krishnan is the only Indian in a list of 10 heroes that CNN has picked worldwide to honour. One of them will be chosen CNN Hero of the Year, selected by the public through an online poll. If many Indians get together to vote for this inspiring man, he can win by a long mile.

If Krishnan wins he will get $100,000 in addition to the $25,000 that he gets for being shortlisted for the Top 10. Akshaya Trust needs all the monetary support it can get to build on Krishnan's dream. Let's help him get there

CNN Heroes - Special Reports from CNN.com The poll continues through November 18 at 6 a.m. ET.

I have voted, request everyone on T-BHP to do the same.

Mods- I searched for the topic in the section, but could not find any. If found unsuitable pls shift accordingly to appropriate section.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 10:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Narayan. Thanks for posting it.
He surely deserves this for his selfless humanitarian act.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 10:48   #3
BHPian

Thank you for bringing it to our notice. Voted!
kaushikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 11:07   #4
BHPian

i have also voted. thanks for the cause
rupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 12:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for him! salute him!
he deserves a "Bharatha ratna" !
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 14:49   #6
BHPian

Voted.
Thanks for sharing.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 15:14   #7
BHPian

Voted for Narayan Krishnan. Thanks

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 15:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great effort and very good initiative. Thanks for bringing this to our notice. Voted!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 15:30   #9
BHPian

That is indeed a very selfless act by My Narayan. I have also voted
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 15:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ghodlur.

I have voted.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 16:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm left with a mixed feeling as whether to vote or not; why to vote? Obviously everyone knows about it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
He has provided more than 1.2 million hot meals through his nonprofit organisation Akshaya Trust, and now hopes to extend this to shelter for the homeless too.
and
Quote:
If Krishnan wins he will get $100,000 in addition to the $25,000 that he gets for being shortlisted for the Top 10.
But I cannot accept someone who're feeding lazys. Anyway, I don't know the real facts if he's really feeding the needy children, disabled & old. If he's feeding people who're young people who're homeless, then I'm sorry that I cannot accept such people as heroes who make the citizens of India lazy!!! This is almost same as any political party that lures people to cast vote by offering freebies, except that politician's word are lies, which is not applicable here.

Quote:
Every day, he wakes up at 4 am, cooks a simple hot meal and then, along with his team, loads it in a van and travels about 200 km feeding the homeless in Madurai, Tamil Nadu.
I'm still not sure why one needs to travel 200 kms (one way or two way 400 Kms or totally travels 200 Kms around the city?). He could simply feed people around Madurai, as there're enough number of people who're willing to beg!!! Not to forget the number of temples in & around Madurai & the number of beggars in front of them.

Quote:
Krishnan feeds, often with his hands, almost 400 destitute people every day. And for those who need it, he provides a free haircut too
Quote:
Much to the dismay of his parents, CNN says, Krishnan abandoned his career plans and decided to spend his life and his professional training in looking after those who could not care for themselves.
Also, I don't understand what the underlined means, if it meant for people who're diseased, then its fine, but otherwise, I don't have a say as what to define people who're feeding the lazy. Anyway, he's so much disturbed to have quit his career & has guts to do this, which is appreciated.

Quote:
Krishnan is the only Indian in a list of 10 heroes that CNN has picked worldwide to honour.
Congrats

All said, would I vote? I need to find out how much of truth is in this without which I cannot accept people who're feeding the lazys!!!

Start the daggers pls!!!

Last edited by aargee : 29th October 2010 at 16:30.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 16:19   #12
BHPian

Thank you for bringing it to our notice. Voted! Also circulated in my company and friends list.

A good cause to support. If he wins, with international exposure and support, he can take it to next level.
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 16:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Aargee. You have a point there.
The only reason i have not voted for him yet is because "being the only Indian in the list" is not enough qualification for me to vote for him. And since i don't have the time yet to read up the other stories, i've refrained from voting. But i did briefly read the story of Aki Ra, the Cambodian who is clearing the fields of landmines, so that that land can be used for housing/farming/schools etc. Quite inspiring, specially when you read that he was handed a gun when he was barely as tall as the gun himself!

EDIT: Got some free time now. The write up about Krishnan mentions that his organization feeds mostly the elderly who have been abandoned and the mentally ill. So, i wont say that he is feeding the "lazies"

Last edited by amitoj : 29th October 2010 at 16:32.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 17:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But I cannot accept someone who're feeding lazys. Anyway, I don't know the real facts if he's really feeding the needy children, disabled & old. If he's feeding people who're young people who're homeless, then I'm sorry that I cannot accept such people as heroes who make the citizens of India lazy!!!

I'm still not sure why one needs to travel 200 kms (one way or two way 400 Kms or totally travels 200 Kms around the city?). He could simply feed people around Madurai, as there're enough number of people who're willing to beg!!! Not to forget the number of temples in & around Madurai & the number of beggars in front of them.

Start the daggers pls!!!
Let me try to give perspective to his work. I knew about him from quite sometime now.

He only provide food to mentally challenged people and those who can't take care of themselves. He is definitely not feeding beggars and other capable people who resort to easier things. And this is the primary reason he have to travel distance to feed those who can't look after themselves and not just simple beggars around traffic lights or temples.

Hope this makes it easier to understand his work. And as you can see I am not using any dagger to put right info forward

Last edited by humans : 29th October 2010 at 17:28.
humans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 18:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

My request to fellow BHPians, Please go through the stories of all the nominees before voting. Do not blindly vote for a person just because he is an Indian. All of the nominees listed are doing extra-ordinary effort for humanity.

Know about all of them here.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote