Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th November 2010, 15:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I am practically managing three different households! If I can find accommodation + food + transport (for a single person) at about Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 per month, I would be on an even keel.

Just a couple of more questions -

a. How far is the distance to airport (distance / time)? I am looking for flights towards South - Chennai, Calicut, Coimbatore etc.
~20-21km (dom). About 350 bucks friendly neighborhood indica. 450ish radiocab.

b. How do I reach Sushant Lok from Delhi airport? And, some hotels to stay nearby - for about a week or so, as I go about getting a feel of the place.
Black and yellow cabs on own budget, radio cabs on company money
DONT stay in VK. The living costs will kill you. A average 2-3bhk (30+ year old, in nothing great condition) will cost you easily 20-25k if not more. Gurgaon's better in that respect. You can stay at greenwood city, south city-I (in around 15k), or socieities around sec 52 (kendriyavihar 2bhk)/29 (on sharing only) - choose the smaller 2bhk places. all in about 3.5-5km of sushant lok.

You need to get PG acco or share with a colleague. You wont get anything in a decent budget by yourself. If you share with someone, you will be able to manage the 12-13k budget you set for yourself.

bring down your car/bike. No one bothers with out of state numbers in delhi at ALL! no point reselling/buying.

as for the metro line in gurgaon - consider it only as last resort - its the equivalent of mumbai local + AC + dilliwalas:
CC100928_09 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 16:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
DAMN, I was looking forward to repeat short trips with you for migratory birds this winter. I thought as June-July has passed with no news of transfer, you would be continuing your stay in pune. Let's meet if you are still in pune.
This winter a new migratory bird will be sighted in Dilli, it is called what else but 'V R Prabhu'.
Maybe you and MX6 can join forces and come to Dilli for some serious 'bird watching'

BTW VRP what's your proposed date of arrival here?

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
DONT stay in VK. The living costs will kill you.
Arrey bhai ! VK mein company accommodation hai matlab phookat mein ghar milta hai or atleast subsidized and apart from that living costs in Delhi and DLF/Gurgaon this side of NH8 are similar. Further, if he does find PG in one of the private residences what is the guarantee regarding power back ups. Same thing in the gated communities whether the bunglows or the high rises, the power back ups only cover the common facilities. No geysers, no heaters.
Kyun Poona ke Peshwa ko barf ke gole mein badalna chhatey ho?

Last edited by khoj : 9th November 2010 at 16:29.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Thanks - .anshuman, phamilyman, Sinner666!

Your words are encouraging and my anxiety is coming down. Nice to see the quick response and the inviting spirit.

Yes, I will pack whatever woolen clothes - whatever I have. But, my guess is that it will be cheaper to buy them there.

As far as transport goes, I guess I will opt for a bike (used, if possible) - later on think of shifting my car. (Am planning to drive down from Pune! ). But the idea of a bi-cycle is appealing - may be it will be help me get the much needed exercise and trim my tummy!!

As regards the expense, I am boxed in right now. Because, the situation is like this - Daughter, Wife and Parents are staying at three different places. And, the flat in Pune is my own - which I can't let out till I finalise how to shift the family. ( The EMI is looking pretty large now :-( ).

So, I am practically managing three different households! If I can find accommodation + food + transport (for a single person) at about Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 per month, I would be on an even keel.

Just a couple of more questions -

a. How far is the distance to airport (distance / time)? I am looking for flights towards South - Chennai, Calicut, Coimbatore etc.

b. How do I reach Sushant Lok from Delhi airport? And, some hotels to stay nearby - for about a week or so, as I go about getting a feel of the place.

Thanks again!
Try various PG Options in DLF Phase 3. You should be able to find a Studio for 8 K. Get in touch with me if you need further details.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 17:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

khoj bhai,

my point is that VK is okay for sarkari paisa of course - but not as a long term option because of the stay and the commute costs being above stuff around sushant lok (in most cases). the net hassle would be higher as well.

@OP - please join DelhiNet, Yuni-Net, GurgaonConnection yahoogroups. They have LOTS of information on such sharing. Else PM me and I'll look up the latest "gurgaon info guide" and check out the agents listed.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 20:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you will be able to stay at VK for as long as you want, it makes no sense to look for a place in Ggn. It isn't all that far off, but the traffic kills during office hours. The good part is that if you pick up a bike, you can avoid the maddening toll plaza!

VK is a nice place to live in, guess it has the most Bhpians in Delhi!

All the best with the move!
Cheers
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 21:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Just came back from my Diwali vacation and I see this. When are you moving to GG? Was hoping to meet you again during one of our trips or a meet in Pune. Anyway as MS said, one more friend in Gurgaon. My only experience of Delhi is of the cold winters and the unreliable autorickshaws.

There are a couple of shops in Pune where you get very good winter clothing. Let me know if you need the addresses. Also last week I saw good offers on Monte Carlo inners at Lootmart in Indore. May be they are available at Lootmart in Pune too. And get back to Pune soon.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 9th November 2010 at 21:50.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:25   #22
BHPian

Hi ,

Just try and contact these people .

Lavanya Hotels :: Guest House in Gurgaon India

The owner is one Mr Rajeev and he has a few guest houses too . I stayed there for a few days and its pretty reasonable . They have their kitchen that you can use if you want to cook yourself . Not sure about the long term tarrifs .

Hope this helps
gautamkhadse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 23:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
khoj bhai,

my point is that VK is okay for sarkari paisa of course - but not as a long term option because of the stay and the commute costs being above stuff around sushant lok (in most cases). the net hassle would be higher as well.

@OP - please join DelhiNet, Yuni-Net, GurgaonConnection yahoogroups. They have LOTS of information on such sharing. Else PM me and I'll look up the latest "gurgaon info guide" and check out the agents listed.
Exactly what I would suggest too. The commute would be tiresome and time consuming, even if it is the Metro you are using, the whole thing can easily eat up almost an hour of yours one way daily plus as someone mentioned it is just an air conditioned version of the Mumbai local. Get your own motorcycle plus if you choose Gurgaon, you could cycle down to your office as well although I should tell you that there are no dedicated cycle lanes or whatsoever (heck even footpaths are rarely there) and as far as I have observed, the traffic does not respect cyclists.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 13:18   #24
BHPian

WoW! What a wonderful response!! Thanks, guys! Especially kd7202, khoj, issigonis, (missing the Kaas meet and not meeting you guys seems dreadful now) roy, gautam, sinner666, and the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7202 View Post
Vasant Kunj is really a nice place to stay but its quite a distance from Sushant Lok. Sushant Lok is a concrete jungle with lots of apartment complexes and not too much greenery.

In case you want something quiet with not too much traffic and hustle bustle, try getting a place in Palam Vihar which is not too far away from Sushant Lok. Believe me, you'll love Palam Vihar.
Thanks, kd! Recd your PM and have sent a reply. Will follow your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Get the bike that you already have, NCR police has no issues with out of state number plates.

Now with this input it makes a lot of sense to stay at VK. Drive to the metro station at Andheria mor (at the most 10 minutes from anywhere in VK), use the ample parking available there, take the Metro to Gurgaon town Center (another 12 to 15 minutes) and from there a rick or office car to Sushant lok (10 minutes or thereabouts).

Staying in VK you are only 10 to 15 odd minutes from the airport under any sort of traffic condition, especially once all flights domestic & international move to T3.

Very important, the Tbhp bunch at Vasant Kunj (SSTraveller, v&v amongst others) is infamous for its impromptu meets late evenings and weekends, god send for a forced bachelor. Plus you are in the capital and all said and done Dilli is Dilli.
That's a relief - I was thinking about the hassle of getting the NoC. Was even contemplating selling off the car (Palio) and the bike (Gladiator). Now I won't - I'll find out how best to transport them to Delhi!!

Noted the rest of your inputs. Helps a lot.

And, I am already looking forward to the meets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Now I have one more friend to meet up when I travel to dilli!
You are welcome - any time, every time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@vrprabhu: Indeed, as khoj said, the Metro from Andheria More (that's at one end of Vasant Kunj, max. 4 km of travelling even if you live at the other end - if you know which sector your company accommodation is in, I could give you a more exact distance) is the best way to travel to Sushant Lok - 25-30 minutes, in air-conditioned comfort. Most parts of Sushant Lok would be at walking distance from the Metro - worst case, you can take a cycle-rickshaw.

And of course, access to the airport is a whole lot easier from Vasant Kunj than from Gurgaon, at any time of day or night.
Thanks, SS-T. That is real comfort. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to get the accommodation at Vasant Kunj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
I want to check out the Sultan Ghari, supposedly the first mausoleum built in India.

Regards, drive safe, enjoy Delhi
You may just be person I am looking for - to keep my travels and jaunts live and kicking at Delhi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
DAMN, I was looking forward to repeat short trips with you for migratory birds this winter. I thought as June-July has passed with no news of transfer, you would be continuing your stay in pune. Let's meet if you are still in pune.
Believe it or not - Sitaram and I were saying the same thing. And, I had already made a recce of a place near Malshej where there were birds in this monsoon - too bad this departure has been abrupt.

I have to be back in Pune some time later - let us see if we can do both i.e. meet and have a look at (our) birds!!

Quote:
You need to get PG acco or share with a colleague. You wont get anything in a decent budget by yourself. If you share with someone, you will be able to manage the 12-13k budget you set for yourself.

bring down your car/bike. No one bothers with out of state numbers in delhi at ALL! no point reselling/buying.
That was what I had in mind when I first started this thread. I'll be staying in Vasant Kunj ONLY if I get the company flat. Else, I'll follow the advice given you and the rest!!

Quote:
This winter a new migratory bird will be sighted in Dilli, it is called what else but 'V R Prabhu'.
Maybe you and MX6 can join forces and come to Dilli for some serious 'bird watching'

BTW VRP what's your proposed date of arrival here?
Kyun Poona ke Peshwa ko barf ke gole mein badalna chhatey ho?
Shhh.... who told you about the speeds I touch on my bike and car. Don't think I will be able to emulate the same in Delhi

Let me hope I am not migratory - want to have to a good time and rest my feet for some time there!!

I should be landing on 14th/15th Nov.

Finally, I am not a Poona ka Peshwa. More like a 'Mannena Maga' (son of the soil, in Kannada) born and brought up in 'Singara Chennai' trying to establish roots in 'Ende Keralam' (because of marital connections...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Try various PG Options in DLF Phase 3. You should be able to find a Studio for 8 K. Get in touch with me if you need further details.
Noted. I will.

Quote:
This will be biggest problem - no net connectivity as the company network is strictly 'intranet'. May be I'll get free time only on Sundays for this activity.

BTW, with you around don't think I'll need any further help of agents... hehehehe

Thanks a ton. I am really touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
If you will be able to stay at VK for as long as you want, it makes no sense to look for a place in Ggn. It isn't all that far off, but the traffic kills during office hours. The good part is that if you pick up a bike, you can avoid the maddening toll plaza!

VK is a nice place to live in, guess it has the most Bhpians in Delhi!
Looks like the vote is in favour of Vasant Kunj. May be I'll able to do some 'dilli style' power broking to get the flat allotted???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Anyway as MS said, one more friend in Gurgaon. My only experience of Delhi is of the cold winters and the unreliable autorickshaws.

There are a couple of shops in Pune where you get very good winter clothing. Let me know if you need the addresses. Also last week I saw good offers on Monte Carlo inners at Lootmart in Indore. May be they are available at Lootmart in Pune too. And get back to Pune soon.
Thanks, Biju! Isn't buying winter clothes in Pune for going Delhi a little like 'carrying coal to New Castle'? I did the same thing, when I first shifted to Pune - bought the woolens from Chennai :-(. I think woolies should be cheaper in Delhi..... and I have already several lying about. Come to think of it, haven't taken out them since the last two years. Got used to the Pune climate, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
The owner is one Mr Rajeev and he has a few guest houses too . I stayed there for a few days and its pretty reasonable . They have their kitchen that you can use if you want to cook yourself . Not sure about the long term tarrifs .

Hope this helps
It sure does, gk! Wanted to have all the options on hand, before I landed there, due to constraints mentioned above. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Exactly what I would suggest too. The commute would be tiresome and time consuming, even if it is the Metro you are using, the whole thing can easily eat up almost an hour of yours one way daily plus as someone mentioned it is just an air conditioned version of the Mumbai local. Get your own motorcycle plus if you choose Gurgaon, you could cycle down to your office as well although I should tell you that there are no dedicated cycle lanes or whatsoever (heck even footpaths are rarely there) and as far as I have observed, the traffic does not respect cyclists.
No - it will be practically impossible to cycle daily. Thought I could do once or twice a week, if I can find something in 3 - 5 kms radius.

But, the original dilemma was whether to shift the car or the bike or both... or sell them off all here in Pune and go for alternate ones there.....

Thanks again, all of you. Great work and good inputs.

I have finalised this -

a. Opt for Vasant Kunj flat, if I get the company flat allotted.

b. If 'a' doesn't work out, then try for sharing a flat there - may be with somebody working with me.

c. If 'b' doesn't work out, then opt for a PG or a small one bed/kitchen apartment near Sushant Lok.

d. 'a' and 'b' also means I'll have to depend on the metro - grin and bear the rush.

e. 'c' means, I'll shift my car and bike - and hopefully, get to participate in your meets!!

Guess I owe all of you at least a cup of coffee - or whatever that is popular in Delhi!!!
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 13:26   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Make the landing on 15th nov. We can still make the lavasa meet on 14th that way!

@Sukiwa. What makes you think I won't be a good companion for migratory bird shoots? Ask PJBIJU. I hollered I'm a BIRD WATCHER in kaas.

Last edited by MX6 : 10th November 2010 at 13:28.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:15   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
e. 'c' means, I'll shift my car and bike - and hopefully, get to participate in your meets!!
Shift your car and bike to Delhi anyway - as phamilyman said, no one here is bothered about what state your car is registered in. In any case, transferring & re-registering a non-Euro-IV car into the NCR (200km radius from Delhi) is impossible, and the cops are also not interested to book you anyway. Without your own wheels, Delhi/NCR definitely poses a major handicap - it's even worse in Gurgaon, which doesn't have a decent organised public transport system.

Hope you get your allotment of the Vasant Kunj flat - you want us all to land up at your Gurgaon office and lobby for you Dilli-ishtyle? Will look forward to that coffee!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 11:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Make the landing on 15th nov. We can still make the lavasa meet on 14th that way!

@Sukiwa. What makes you think I won't be a good companion for migratory bird shoots? Ask PJBIJU. I hollered I'm a BIRD WATCHER in kaas.
Am still in the process of tying up all the loose ends. To add to the woes my replacement is yet to land here.....

Speaking of birds, did you notice the article in ToI today? That's we are talking about. And, it is reported that Mumbai is loosing its winged visitors. Let us hope that more numbers land in Bhigwan!! It is totally a different experience watching these birds. I am sure a couple of other bhpians who went there will vouch for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In any case, transferring & re-registering a non-Euro-IV car into the NCR (200km radius from Delhi) is impossible, and the cops are also not interested to book you anyway.

Hope you get your allotment of the Vasant Kunj flat - you want us all to land up at your Gurgaon office and lobby for you Dilli-ishtyle? Will look forward to that coffee!
I call myself a bhpian and am not aware of the BS-IV rule... (probably this is what happens when you get too involved in your work!)

As regards lobbying, I'll let you know - don't want to scare my bosses there and make them wonder how a Puneri can rake up influence in Dilli. (BTW, that is one thing I am warned about - nobody in Delhi can be taken at face value, because no one can be sure who is connected where )

BTW, the coffee meet can be arranged - apart from the holiday on 17th and any other holidays coming up (apart from Sundays, that is?)

Last edited by vrprabhu : 11th November 2010 at 11:09.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 12:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Delhi and NCR cops do not bother about out of state vehicles. So bring your car here. Its a necessity in Delhi. Atleast get a bike.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 13:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help! Need info on Gurgaon.... (Goodbye, Pune! Hello, Gurgaon!)

Hi vrprabhu,

Trust you have landed and hopefully found a place to hide from the cold. It was only when I started to post this I realized that more than a month has gone by since the thread started and we last heard from you/interacted. So let us know where exactly are you and how NCR is treating you as yet?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 14:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help! Need info on Gurgaon.... (Goodbye, Pune! Hello, Gurgaon!)

Bumped into this thread today and read the so many of the comments about staying or not staying in VK or GGN. Since I stayed in VK for 15 years and now have been staying in GGN for the last 7, I thought I would also chip in. Though, vrprabhu by now, would have landed and settled.

Quote:
DONT stay in VK. The living costs will kill you.

as for the metro line in gurgaon - consider it only as last resort - its the equivalent of mumbai local + AC + dilliwalas:
Hitanshu, the living costs, whether at VK or GGN are not too much different.

I commute to work daily in the Metro from GGN to Green park in Delhi. Feel very comfortable travelling. Unlike the Bombay local, that is always packed like sardines, NCR Metro is not. And why dilliwalas Mr. Gandhi? It has GGNwalas, Dilliwalas, Manesarwalas and much more.

Quote:
Same thing in the gated communities whether the bunglows or the high rises, the power back ups only cover the common facilities. No geysers, no heaters.
Says who Mr. Khoj? I stay in a gated condo, a 15 storey high rise. I've 24 hrs water & power back-up that runs my all 4 ACs in summer, washing machine, geysers & heaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
The commute would be tiresome and time consuming, even if it is the Metro you are using, the whole thing can easily eat up almost an hour of yours one way daily plus as someone mentioned it is just an air conditioned version of the Mumbai local. Get your own motorcycle plus if you choose Gurgaon, you could cycle down to your office as well although I should tell you that there are no dedicated cycle lanes or whatsoever (heck even footpaths are rarely there) and as far as I have observed, the traffic does not respect cyclists.
The commute is not tiresome at all. The stress of driving in that maddening trafiic where everybody including yours truly is on a perpetual short-fuse is all eliminated. I save on time and money. While earlier in my own vehicle I used to take close to an hour to commute 21 kms one way, resulting in altering my timings (be leaving at 7:30 am) and stressing too much, now I take it easy, leave home at 9 and am at my desk by 9:40.

If prabhu stays at VK in the company accommodation, he can take the Metro from Chattarpur and get down at HUDA in 25 mins flat. And he won't find the Metro crowded at all, because most of the crowd boards or gets down at Saket, Malviya Nagar & Hauz Khas.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote