Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th November 2010, 10:16   #16
BHPian

Just to update this thread, so right after I started the thread, I went and tore a ligament in my ankle while doing dips (sweaty hands, slippery parallel bars - the leg went and twisted itself on one of the bars). So massive setback. Unable to work out. So i began swimming and watching what I eat. Result, three and a half kilos off this week. So 46.5 kgs to go. Bah
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 10:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Result, three and a half kilos off this week. So 46.5 kgs to go. Bah
3.5Kgs shed in a week, that's pretty fast shedding of weight just by Swimming.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 19:01   #18
BHPian

djpeesh, you mean to say you put on 40+ kilos over the past five years?! I managed only 20 kilos in ten years. I hit a peak of 108kg a year ago and decided to do something about it. Running was ruled out because it was hurting my knees, so I took up a low-impact activity: cycling. I live in a congested part of Bombay (7 bungalows), but I found that early in the morning (6am to 8am) was a perfect time to go cycling. In Jan 2009 I bought a Trek bike that's rated to carry 120 kilos (just in case). Now my weight's down to 100, and I intend to keep going till it stabilises at 90kg or so (I'm 6'1"). I'm giving myself another year to reach my target because I don't want to rush things. Besides, I haven't really managed to cut down on my eating. If I reduce my food intake I'm sure I could get there faster.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 20:02   #19
BHPian

Hey Edsel. It takes tremendous effort and a lot of solid eating but it can be done I thought of cycling but I saw a friend take a massive hit from a speeding water tanker on Marine Drive and decided maybe the pool is safer. So far no sharks although I do crash into the occasional breadth swimmer. There size helps and soon they learn to scurry away just finished another swim workout. I think the main reason I put on so much weight was that after I gave up those massive swimming workouts I used to do, I started playing rugby. When I gave the rugby workouts, I began eating.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st December 2010 at 09:07. Reason: Please stick to 2 Smiley per post. Repeat will attract infraction. Thanks!
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 22:23   #20
BHPian

Reasonable breakfast, sparse lunch and no dinner. Absolutely no snacks in between. Some form of exercise. Worked well for me. 83 to 74 over some 5 months. Been maintaining at that. Though I do take a sparse dinner as well now.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 22:48   #21
BHPian

Very motivating I should say. My situation is the opposite. If I gain enough weight(can't reveal here. Don't want to embaress myself. LOL!) I STILL don't know if I can afford an SBK. All the best!
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 23:26   #22
BHPian

You need to get in touch with Ford Rocam(member on Tbhp),he has lost around 55kgs in 15 months.Think will guide you well.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 02:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

One important thing everyone forgot on this thread. "Quit Sugar".
One spoon of sugar might be only 10 calories, but it causes chaos in your body. You can read about insulin surge caused by sugar on the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
5) Have a heavy breakfast (enough to keep you going till dinner).
6) Skip lunch and evening snacks, and tea and coffee during the day.
For heaven's sake, please don't do the above. Skipping a meal will slow down your metabolism drastically.

Eat healthy, thats the key. Eat lots of fruits, raw vegetables, lentils, green leafy vegetables (raw or cooked). Reduce the quantity of anything "refined" like refined all purpose flour.

Once you start eating healthy, stop counting calories. Because it doesn't make sense after that. An apple which is 100 calories can never make you fat (unless you eat it after a loaded meal).

Don't resort to "fat burners" and "weight losing capsules". They never work.

Increase the protein in your diet. You can even consume whey protein isolate after workout if you're a vegetarian. And don't forget to include a multivitamin, whether you're taking whey or not.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 1st December 2010 at 02:17.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 07:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

wow.
Love the Idea using the reward method.
Myself, in almost an identical situation as yours. I too plan to do something regarding the weight.
*watching for continuous updates on this thread*
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 03:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
my target is to get myself fit and looking my age by September 2011 (my 26th birthday). So, the question is... how do I go about doing it. Over the course of the next one year, I intend to share my progress, and when the time comes, even before and after pix.
Hey Sid/djpeesh, how's it going man? Your birthday/target went by last month and you never updated (since last November!) It's okay even if you didn't achieve your target in the envisaged time frame; just give yourself another year. Speaking for myself, I hoped to shed 20 kilos in as many months. I started off at 108 kilos, came down to 94 in July this year, and put back three kilos in the three months after that. Net result: 97 kilos. :(

The monsoons were partly responsible for my lack of preferred aerobic activity (cycling) and I intend to resume again right away. Also intend to incorporate a bit of cross-training (brisk walks, light jogging etc) to spice up my routine. My goal is quite modest: I intend to break out of the 90s and enter the 80s sometime in mid-2012 - and hopefully stay there. Simultaneously I also hope to lower my body fat percentage, which is hovering around an abysmal 30%.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 28th October 2011 at 03:51.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote