Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th March 2016, 09:21   #136
BHPian

We grow ginger every year in a small field among other things for just our consumption and the soil is still as good as ever. I guess it must be due to us relying on cow manure mostly instead of fertilizers and pesticides. I am opening a dairy farm within a month or so and will then gradually setup polyhouses and mainly concentrate on organic farming as cow manure won't be an issue.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 10:14   #137
BHPian

Default Re: Calling all Team-BHP Farmers : The Farming Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looking for ideas on what to grow with:
1. About half acre
2. Water available
3. Average labor input should not be high
4. Not too much investment

Something simple to grow, with a periodic yield.

Happy to do it the organic way.
Half an acre isn't a whole lot, so how about something exotic like avocado? I know someone in Bangalore who grew a single avocado tree in his plot and he has been selling the crop for years to an organic store for a pretty penny. Avocados are not something that has a ready market, so buyers are few but they tend to have a long-term relationship.

Growing avocados is tricky, but they do grow in Karnataka though I am not sure of Northern Karnataka. Sikkim is a major producer and they use organic farming for avocados there. You will need to do a whole lot of research if you get into this especially since I am not an agriculturist.

If regular yield is not a concern, then something that requires zero effort over the years is teak wood. But someone I know had 3 trees cut from right under their noses in Hassan, so I am not sure how that works out these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Some horticulture products like Sapota or Mango?.
With diabetes raging all over the country, I have found that fruit trees can sometimes work as poison. These fruit trees usually give a bountiful harvest once a year and not year round. My experience is that it is very difficult to control the urge to consume these fruits especially when they are ripening willy-nilly all around.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 14:05   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Half an acre isn't a whole lot, so how about something exotic like avocado?
Thanks for that tip ! Half acre is more like a starting point ... trying to get things in motion. More space is available if required - and with a good plan in place.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 16:18   #139
BHPian

May be of interest to townies with an interest in farming...

Organic Mandya

Have any of the Bangalore/ Mysore based BHPians come across this person or his outlet?
reverse_gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 11:17   #140
BHPian

Default Re: Mango varieties

My family is planning to plant mango in a six-acre farm near Zaheerabad/Bidar. Red soil, decent amount of water. Want to seek suggestions on the best varieties to plant that will grow well in this soil, weather and will also be in demand going forward. Thinking of a mix of Dussheri, Kesar, Benishaan/Banganapally, Himayat, Rasaalu, Panduri/Safeda, Alphonso, Mallika etc.

On the aside - is panduri same as safeda? Will Alphonso from this region have a decent flavour/taste compared to the original variety?

Need advice, what are the fruit trees that we should consider for own consumption within the farm? Jackfruit, Seethaphal, Chiku, Figs etc. Which of these grow well in this area?

Last edited by skumare : 6th April 2016 at 11:25.
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 22:11   #141
PGA
BHPian

I grow vegetables in my farm close to Ludhiana. I grow potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes and cauliflower. Since demonetisation in Nov price of produce has crashed and we are unable to recover even the cost of cultivation.
I have heard that some farmers in Maharashtra have formed an FPO (Farm Producers Organisation) and are selling their produce as a cooperative.

Does anyone has an experience of working with or in an FPO. Is the marketing being done at retail level or at wholesale level. We did try to market at retail level but since it is time consuming process and it was taking time to understand the consumer preference we left it. I will be grateful if some one can share their experience of marketing the produce. Regards
PGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 09:09   #142
BHPian

http://www.vfpck.org/farmer_market.asp

You could look at this link. The Vegetables and Fruit Promotion Council, Kerala has been successfully running farmer markets.
You could consider sending your produce to them or seek guidelines for setting up a similar system
tomthump is offline   Reply With Quote