Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 159 66.53%
Amazon Kindle 45 18.83%
Apple iPad 6 2.51%
Android Tablet 6 2.51%
B&B Nook 4 1.67%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 13 5.44%
Others (mention in post) 3 1.26%
Kobo eReader 3 1.26%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th March 2016, 10:39   #1051
BHPian

Default Re: The Book Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks for the recommendations!

Have you read 'Around India in 80 Trains' by Monisha Rajesh?
The book has been written around 2012.
Thank you for the suggestion. Looks interesting. Will definitely pick it up. Looks like the author is coming out with a sequel next year "Around the world in 80 trains".

Another interesting work , again dated (1977) is From the Ocean to the Sky by Sir Edmund Hillary. Worth a read if you can get hold of a copy. This is his account of a jet boat trip from the mouth of the Ganges River upstream as far he could go.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 11:36   #1052
BHPian

Just finished

1. Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Book by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven Levitt

This is a rare book that will tell you the other side of the story. The themes range from the initial stages of Automotive Industry to Wealth creation in Prostitute Business to Biases in Crime Reporting to Early Modern Medical Practices to Global Warming and Climate Change...

It talks about the side of the story that lurks under the shadow of more-exciting parts.

Lot of fun trivia and subaltern stories that lay hidden beyond the mainstream knowledge.
But at times, the authors confuse you with intertwining too many subjects.
4 / 5

2. Man's search for meaning by Victor Frankl :

A very famous book of the survivor of a concentration camp .
The author shares his Prison's experiences and with his neurological/psychological background, he tries to enunciate what life is and introduces his own 'Logotherapy' .

A must read for 'selfhelp' or management lovers.

4.5/5

3. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

This is rather a very interesting book- a popular science /transdisciplinary work that uses various fields of social sciences and technology; archaeology,anthropology, genetic studies, paleo-geography/geology, evolutionary biology... to decipher the trajectory of human evolution.

This specific book talks about how human has come from a stage of insignificant animal on an edge of Africa to dominating the entire Earth . The author describes the different revolutions -Cognitive, Agricultural, Science, industry... and their influence on our lives.

It is a wonderful book for guys who are interested to know about the human past. A must read.

5/5

4. The 6th extinction by James Rollins-

It is a technical thriller- with bioterrorism/paleobotany/paleozoology themes.
i am a fan of Michael Crichton. Though the author has a great skill in combining thr elements of Science into the story, at times, I found it too arcane.
Not a bad read, though I guess it would enthuse people with medical/biological background .
3.5/5

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2016 at 12:09. Reason: Merged
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 12:17   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Just finished

3. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

This is rather a very interesting book- a popular science /transdisciplinary work that uses various fields of social sciences and technology; archaeology,anthropology, genetic studies, paleo-geography/geology, evolutionary biology... to decipher the trajectory of human evolution.

This specific book talks about how human has come from a stage of insignificant animal on an edge of Africa to dominating the entire Earth . The author describes the different revolutions -Cognitive, Agricultural, Science, industry... and their influence on our lives.

It is a wonderful book for guys who are interested to know about the human past. A must read.

5/5
Agree 100% with your assessment.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 12:54   #1054
BHPian

Anyone interted to read a light version of history should absolutely go through ' A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.in/Short-History-N...rly+Everything

Read it in my college and was going through it again. You can pretty much pick up Bryson's any book and won't be disappointed.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 20th March 2016 at 12:55.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 14:56   #1055
BHPian

Currently reading - India grows at Night by Gurucharan Das

Central theme is that our nation is growing at night while the Govt. sleeps at day implying the inefficiency of the Governance and the deep rooted maleficent Redtape.

This author attempts to explain the path of Indian economy using the Indian Social Principles, Cultural Ethos and Political fabric of the Indian Society.

The author states how the ineffectual Nehruvian Economic Principles that lead to a static, monopolized and anti-captalist Industrial environment which severely handicapped the growth of the nation and warns about the excesses of the family-centered Business circles. Also does the author take up the various cases that lead to the middleclass interest in Socio-political injustices .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Agree 100% with your assessment.

Old 28th March 2016, 12:16   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How about some recommendations on non-fiction!
Are there any good reads around travel in our country?
Hi JMaruru,

The fact is that I'm not much on reading travel books - though I'm sure there are many authors (Paul Theroux included!) in the field.

The non-fiction field is vast and I've stuck to some of the areas that are of interest to me. I'm adding a few titles/authors whom I have found very interesting, with a blurb of each book.

1) The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence is a book by Carl Sagan, biologist turned astronomer, for which he won a Pulitzer. In it, the fields of anthropology, evolutionary biology, psychology, and computer science are dealt with to give a perspective on how human intelligence may have evolved. The book is in the usual Sagan style – at times pedantic, always readable. One may not always agree with his over-dependence on Darwinian evolution, in view of more recent evolutionary theories. But worth a read all the same.

2) The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism by physicist Fritjof Capra. I found this book fascinating, where Capra attempts to find links between Eastern mysticism, the current ideas of consciousness and quantum physics. At places it seems a bit laboured, as in his attempt to link Shiva’s Tandav with his own consciousness. Hugely readable nonetheless.

3) Shadows of the Mind: A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness by mathematician / theoretical physicist Roger Penrose – another attempt to link quantum processes with human consciousness & a proposal for the site in the human brain (cytoskeleton) where such processing might be taking place.
This book is heavy reading - cannot be finished at one comfortable sitting. At least that’s what I found - I took it one-phase-at-a-time to allow for digestion!

4) Our holographic universe by Michael Coleman Talbot - highlighting and espousing a theoretical model of reality that suggests the physical universe is akin to a giant hologram based on the research and conclusions of David Bohm and Karl H. Pribram. An immensely readable and informative book - bringing one up to date with current ideas on the subject.

5) All the works of Jim Corbett - on his experiences in the terai forests of Kumaon, Uttaranchal. Completely fascinating for lovers of our forests, its fauna and the lore of the man-eating tigers associated with Mr. Corbett’s name

6) Jacques Vallee’s books - for those who, like me, have been fascinated by the UFO phenomena – and it’s more sensible & sane interpretations! – one can’t do better than to start with the books by Jacques Vallee.
Wikipedia says about him – “Jacques Fabrice Vallée (French: [vale]; born September 24, 1939) is a venture capitalist, computer scientist, author, ufologist and former astronomer currently residing in San Francisco, California. In mainstream science, Vallée is notable for co-developing the first computerized mapping of Mars for NASA and for his work at SRI International on the network information centre for the ARPANET, a precursor to the modern Internet. Vallée is also an important figure in the study of unidentified flying objects (UFOs), first noted for a defence of the scientific legitimacy of the extraterrestrial hypothesis and later for promoting the interdimensional hypothesis.”
shashanka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 12:23   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Now that I have started taking the bus to office (which is cool 1.5 hours in bus for the 12 KM odd distance) I have started reading books to pass the time in the bus. Recently finished the excellent Why Growth Matters (by Dr. A Panagariya and Prof. J Bhagwati). Nowdays, have been munching on another amazing book called Why Nations Fail (by Darren Acemoglu). I like to read from actual books and not in their e-form.

It is quite interesting to note that in the bus nearly everyone is busy on their "tiny" smartphone screens. Books are sadly losing out to digital media consumption. I feel like an old timer really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Currently reading - India grows at Night by Gurucharan Das

Central theme is that our nation is growing at night while the Govt. sleeps at day implying the inefficiency of the Governance and the deep rooted maleficent Redtape.

This author attempts to explain the path of Indian economy using the Indian Social Principles, Cultural Ethos and Political fabric of the Indian Society.

The author states how the ineffectual Nehruvian Economic Principles that lead to a static, monopolized and anti-captalist Industrial environment which severely handicapped the growth of the nation and warns about the excesses of the family-centered Business circles. Also does the author take up the various cases that lead to the middleclass interest in Socio-political injustices .
May I humbly suggest Why Nations Fail as well to supplement this theory. Acemoglu in this work has tried to see thru prism of history and economic development and has come up with very interesting theory about how the economic and political institutions shape up destinies of countries and their populations. He has given so many examples in this work its really a compelling read.

Last edited by joslicx : 28th March 2016 at 12:29.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 01:41   #1058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Books are sadly losing out to digital media consumption.
Well, the jury is still out on this

http://fortune.com/2015/09/24/ebook-sales/
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 07:50   #1059
BHPian

Iam trying to read Will Self. I have tried before and gave up. Twice.

Not sure why. I like the insightful talks he gave on a lot of different topics. I read his articles on the net. But when it comes to novels, Iam just not able to read past, say, 50 pages
SyncNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 08:32   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Now that I have started taking the bus to office (which is cool 1.5 hours in bus for the 12 KM odd distance) I have started reading books to pass the time in the bus. Recently finished the excellent Why Growth Matters (by Dr. A Panagariya and Prof. J Bhagwati). Nowdays, have been munching on another amazing book called Why Nations Fail (by Darren Acemoglu). I like to read from actual books and not in their e-form.
That is a very pleasant coincidence. I also started to commute to my office through City Bus which is exaclty 12 Km from my place and needless to say, started to use that time to read Books which have immensely added value to my life.

Quote:

May I humbly suggest Why Nations Fail as well to supplement this theory. Acemoglu in this work has tried to see thru prism of history and economic development and has come up with very interesting theory about how the economic and political institutions shape up destinies of countries and their populations. He has given so many examples in this work its really a compelling read.
Thanks Sir for the suggestion and indeed, I was looking forward to read this book as it was on my reading list from long time.
I read a similar themed book - Breakout Nations by Ruchir Sharma long ago but it mostly consisted of tables and stats and I have a very bad appetite for stuff like that.

'Why Nations Fail' and 'Chaos' by James Gleick are on my buying list !

Last edited by poised2drive : 29th March 2016 at 08:34.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:35   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Well, the jury is still out on this
http://fortune.com/2015/09/24/ebook-sales/
That is certainly encouraging (www.theguardian.com › Arts › Books › Publishing). I was beginning to feel the odd man out and this restores faith - that perhaps all is still right with the world and the joy of holding that paperback or hardback in your hands is not going out of fashion after all!

Last edited by shashanka : 29th March 2016 at 18:38. Reason: incomplete
Old 2nd April 2016, 03:47   #1062
BHPian

A few non-fiction titles to add to the earlier list -

1) The Moon's a Balloon - actor David Niven's autobiography. An entertaining and often hysterically funny account of the actor's recollections. A real page turner.

2) The Mothman Prophecies by John A. Keel - Author, correspondent & stringer Keel's account of the mysterious occurrences around Point Pleasant, West Virginia in 1967. The book was made into a movie starring Richard Gere, Laura Linney. For lovers of spooky tales and the paranormal in general, this is a gripping read.

3) Chaos: Making a new science by James Gleick - a highly readable account of this arcane theory and its relatively recent evolution which attempts to find order and system in apparently random occurrences in nature, where small disturbances in one place results in massive changes far away. Gave rise to the popular phrase - "a butterfly taking off in Brazil can cause rainfall in China!"

Last edited by shashanka : 2nd April 2016 at 03:50. Reason: composition
Old 9th April 2016, 17:39   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Anyone interted to read a light version of history should absolutely go through ' A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

Read it in my college and was going through it again. You can pretty much pick up Bryson's any book and won't be disappointed.
Agree 100% with your assessment. Just finished its second reading.

UNPUTDOWNABLE.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 20:54   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quite a while ago, there was a mention of some book on US's War on Iraq on TBHP. The book was with me earlier, but I lost it.
Can anybody help me here ? The book did mention individuals like Scooter Libby.
This book refers to invasion of US when Saddam Hussein was captured.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 21:27   #1065
Team-BHP Support

And finally, after much much ado, I have started reading Shantaram. I had always delayed it for want of time but it's the beginning of the year so am relatively free. So far so good, its easy to read with IPL telecast on TV (on mute).
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote