Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 13:18   #196
BHPian
 
prabhusati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 248
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
I did a transaction using my Citibank credit card at Total Mall on 2nd August, 2008. The transaction amount was Rs:1330. This transaction was updated on my August Credit card bill (Statement date 24-08-2008).
Now the shock comes, when I got my September Card Bill, there was a refund of Rs:1330 to my credit card account and a new transaction of amount Rs: 2435 charged to credit card account. Latter I find out from Citibank that Merchant has claimed this(did) only on 22nd September and it was a swipe transaction, confirmed the address of the Total Mall also. I am not aware of this transaction.
Latter I filed a dispute with Citibank for above transaction and I have to contact them after October 11th to know the status.
I donít know whose mistake is this, Citibank / Total. Latter if Citibank says NO, how do I proceed with this.
Does anybody have same experience?
Hi,
I had a similar experience with my ICICI credit card. I use this card to fill petrol at HP petrol pumps. In one of the month's statement i saw there was a charge of Rs.1350.00 which i did not purchase. I sent a letter to ICICI disputing this and asked them to provide proof the transaction slip with my signature. They wrote back mentioning that the charge will be reversed and they actually did it also.

After effects: Previously at the HP pump the card swiping machines were inside the cabin and the attendant use to go inside and bring the receipt back to you for signature. After this incident the swiping machines are near the dispensing pump. I am sure ICICI bank must have taken some action on them.
prabhusati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 23:09   #197
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Hi,
I had a similar experience with my ICICI credit card. I use this card to fill petrol at HP petrol pumps. In one of the month's statement i saw there was a charge of Rs.1350.00 which i did not purchase. I sent a letter to ICICI disputing this and asked them to provide proof the transaction slip with my signature. They wrote back mentioning that the charge will be reversed and they actually did it also.

After effects: Previously at the HP pump the card swiping machines were inside the cabin and the attendant use to go inside and bring the receipt back to you for signature. After this incident the swiping machines are near the dispensing pump. I am sure ICICI bank must have taken some action on them.
The charge you are talking about when filling fuel that is added extra could be a Fuel Surcharge.

It is a premium you pay for to pay for fuel on credit
FaeLLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 10:12   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Dont worry, as you have rasied a dispute, you will get your refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Further to add my above comments, today I have verified account details from Total(Credit card transaction on 2nd August). In that, with my credit card number only one transaction and that was showing the actual amount(rs:1330).
Now i am just waiting for the reply from Citibank. "It's a big headache to deal with these bank people".
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 10:37   #199
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeLLe View Post
The charge you are talking about when filling fuel that is added extra could be a Fuel Surcharge.

It is a premium you pay for to pay for fuel on credit
You are both talking about different things. Yes, there is a fuel surcharge of 2.5% on most plain vanilla credit cards, as it is on many other administered price commodities.

However, INR 1,350 as fuel surcharge means the guy got petrol filled worth INR 54,000. So this obviously is not the case!

I think he was probably hinting at some misuse by the saod petrol pump.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 10:52   #200
BHPian
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 153
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I've had one experience of a wrong charge on my debit card. According to ICICI, it takes 45 days of lead time to get the charge reversed.

It seems that after a complaint is filed, the bank raises the complaint to VISA/MASTERCARD. There is a defined SLA of 30 days for VISA/Mastercard to respond. If they do not, the bank informs them that they will reverse the charge within 15 days. Total time elapsed is 45 days.

In my experience, no amount of following up with the bank in the middle helps to expedite the process.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 10:55   #201
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
You are both talking about different things. Yes, there is a fuel surcharge of 2.5% on most plain vanilla credit cards, as it is on many other administered price commodities.

However, INR 1,350 as fuel surcharge means the guy got petrol filled worth INR 54,000. So this obviously is not the case!

I think he was probably hinting at some misuse by the saod petrol pump.
I think you are right

Best to go for the credit cards that refund the fuel surchage...... ICICI seems to be giving them out for free nowdays.
FaeLLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 11:43   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hi guys,
I have an ICICI Platinum card. The statement is generated on the 13th of each month.

I want to know if it is possible to make purchases today (say after 5 pm) so that I can avoid it getting billed in this month statement. Tried calling ICICI Customer care, but as usual the networks are all busy.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 11:45   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi guys,
I have an ICICI Platinum card. The statement is generated on the 13th of each month.

I want to know if it is possible to make purchases today (say after 5 pm) so that I can avoid it getting billed in this month statement. Tried calling ICICI Customer care, but as usual the networks are all busy.
Not recommended. It is a system generated bill and I am sure it'll reflect in this month's statement if you purchase it today.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 12:01   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
iceman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: melbourne/bangalore
Posts: 1,958
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

agree with amtak, especially being a weekday.
Can take chances on sunday, but most of these are system generated and work till midnight.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 12:25   #205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 594
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Not recommended. It is a system generated bill and I am sure it'll reflect in this month's statement if you purchase it today.
Mostly it does not if the system generates the statement on that day. But if it is done after one or two days then it will come.Its my experience
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 12:43   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Dicey situation. Guess I dont have any other option. So I'll take the risk and pay it .. say at 8 pm. If it shows up this month, I pay on 30th Jan, else on 28th Feb
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 12:53   #207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi guys,
I have an ICICI Platinum card. The statement is generated on the 13th of each month.

I want to know if it is possible to make purchases today (say after 5 pm) so that I can avoid it getting billed in this month statement. Tried calling ICICI Customer care, but as usual the networks are all busy.
It will appear in your statement only when the merchant submits the card slip to the bank. Highly unlikely that he will do it today evening itself. But very likely he will do it tomorrow so that he can get the money by 15th.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 17:36   #208
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 7,191 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Dicey situation. Guess I dont have any other option. So I'll take the risk and pay it .. say at 8 pm. If it shows up this month, I pay on 30th Jan, else on 28th Feb
let us know if it reflects on this month's bill. AFAIK, purchases a day before the bill date will certainly reflect in same month bill.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 17:45   #209
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,268
Thanked: 4,423 Times
Default

Arre baba, look at your previous statements and check when have transactions done on 12th reflect.

I think it will be 30 Jan
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 23:19   #210
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 572
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi guys,
I have an ICICI Platinum card. The statement is generated on the 13th of each month.

I want to know if it is possible to make purchases today (say after 5 pm) so that I can avoid it getting billed in this month statement. Tried calling ICICI Customer care, but as usual the networks are all busy.
Unless you are using an internal service, say bill payments through registered billers with the card issuing bank, there is a very remote chance that you will get billed in this cycle. Normally the merchant takes a day or two (and in most cases even more) to present the transaction to the card issuing bank.

To be safe, I always wait for midnight of the statement generation date to aviod any possibility of such an occurence. However if it is an urgent matter for which you cannot wait, feel free to charge your card but try to do it as late as possible. Like in your case, if you did it at 8 PM, there is a one in a hundred chance of this charge showing in your current bill. Let us know whatever happens.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Credit Card Purchase Surcharge 1.5% (and a discussion on TIPS) sam003 Shifting gears 114 6th February 2013 12:28
Online Credit Card Scam...Pls help!! crn12 Shifting gears 20 21st January 2013 16:06
Credit Card:Converting Outstanding amount to EMI/Pay only minimum amount due?Advise ashwinsid Shifting gears 26 11th September 2009 15:24
Scary News : Network Solutions loses Credit Card information emkay456 Shifting gears 0 28th July 2009 14:01
Credit card menace kutlee Shifting gears 39 17th August 2007 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:55.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks