Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 15:58   #601
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Mine is a lifetime free card. If they decide to charge me, I'll cancel the card right away. Do you have your salary account with Citibank? I have mine there, that *MIGHT* be a reason they are still offering me this.
I do not have my salary account with Citibank, but I have both Citibank Platinum Reward VISA card and citibank Indianoil Titanium MASTERCARD, both are FREE, no charges.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:14   #602
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 463
Thanked: 171 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

There was an unauthorised transaction on my Citibank card yesterday, for an amount of Rs.800 at "Indigo", please note it is not written as "Indigo Airlines/Airways". Since the card is physically with me, it seems to be online transaction. I do not have the transaction detail yet (their online account pages are very difficult to navigate). As soon as I got the transaction message I called up their phone banking and the card was blocked immediately.

It seems banks do not investigate fraudulent transaction their own. Do I need to file police FIR to reach proper resolution to this? I have sent mail to Citibank requesting transaction reversal and replacement card. Yet to receive response.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:28   #603
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
There was an unauthorised transaction on my Citibank card yesterday, for an amount of Rs.800 at "Indigo", please note it is not written as "Indigo Airlines/Airways". Since the card is physically with me, it seems to be online transaction. I do not have the transaction detail yet (their online account pages are very difficult to navigate). As soon as I got the transaction message I called up their phone banking and the card was blocked immediately.

It seems banks do not investigate fraudulent transaction their own. Do I need to file police FIR to reach proper resolution to this? I have sent mail to Citibank requesting transaction reversal and replacement card. Yet to receive response.
Its better to lodge a police complaint because Bank will surely try to wash their hand and will ask for FIR copy. Also ask bank to provide entire transaction details including IP address of the system from where this transaction was done.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:39   #604
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 770 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There was an unauthorised transaction on my Citibank card yesterday, for an amount of Rs.800 at "Indigo", please note it is not written as "Indigo Airlines/Airways". Since the card is physically with me, it seems to be online transaction.
I don't know how these online frauds are perpetuated. It could be that somebody makes note of card number & CVV code when the card is handed over for payment. What I do is I memorize the CVV no & scratch it off to prevent such cases.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:48   #605
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
I don't know how these online frauds are perpetuated. It could be that somebody makes note of card number & CVV code when the card is handed over for payment. What I do is I memorize the CVV no & scratch it off to prevent such cases.
But as far as I remember, Citibank before confirming transaction asks for a OTP or a special code which someone will know only if you have shared it with them.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:11   #606
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 770 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
But as far as I remember, Citibank before confirming transaction asks for a OTP or a special code which someone will know only if you have shared it with them.
I meant paying at restaurants, petrol bunks & other places where I am not physically present at swiping. Its easy for somebody to copy the CC no & CVV code.

PS: OTP or special code is only if the transaction is in India. Payment at International sites usually don't require anything else apart from CC no & CVV code.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:35   #607
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

At least the bank was prompt in blocking. I agree it has to be 'the equivalent' of a swipe. How many times have you seen the seller even looking at the signature. Online with the 3D secure is far more difficult to do.

As fro blocking I misplaced / lost my ATM card. I went to the branch with a letter and the lady said she will do it by the evening. I tired calling up Phone Banking, I could not get through due to network congestion. It was only after an hour could I get through. SBI being totally on Bhai Saheb Nahin Lagega did not help. In the meanwhile I e-mailed customer care. I egt a reply the next morning asking me to contact the branch with the following details ... Notwithstanding the fact that all details were in my e-mail. So God help you if you lost your SBI card!

Last edited by sgiitk : 9th March 2012 at 15:45.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 16:57   #608
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Mine is a lifetime free card. If they decide to charge me, I'll cancel the card right away. Do you have your salary account with Citibank? I have mine there, that *MIGHT* be a reason they are still offering me this.
City bank is offering life time free card since 2000, am holding 2 cards from them and both are free since the day one. If you have good track records they will enhance the credit limit without any request
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 17:10   #609
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 646 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
At least the bank was prompt in blocking. I agree it has to be 'the equivalent' of a swipe. How many times have you seen the seller even looking at the signature. Online with the 3D secure is far more difficult to do.

As fro blocking I misplaced / lost my ATM card. I went to the branch with a letter and the lady said she will do it by the evening. I tired calling up Phone Banking, I could not get through due to network congestion. It was only after an hour could I get through. SBI being totally on Bhai Saheb Nahin Lagega did not help. In the meanwhile I e-mailed customer care. I egt a reply the next morning asking me to contact the branch with the following details ... Notwithstanding the fact that all details were in my e-mail. So God help you if you lost your SBI card!
SBI Cards are managed by GE, and they're getting worse with each passing day. They even managed to bill me cash withdrawal charges for supposedly withdrawing money through an SBI ATM, in a place where they did not have an ATM in the first place The actual transaction was a credit card transaction at a supermarket, when I called to complain, they refused to admit that they did not even have an SBI ATM there. I paid under protest, and diligently followed up for 6 months, then finally incurred the same amount in other charges and refused to pay. Finally they reversed the disputed Cash withdrawal fee. Crazy bunch of jokers.

Also had a major dispute with them on SPAM and promotional SMS's. Gosh, it was a nightmare getting them to stop it, and they used to send me approx 30 spam msgs every single day. No respite for one month after I closed all my cards with them. Never going back to SBI GE ever again.

BTW, any one here uses a Citibank Ultima or any other golf card? Would like some reviews on a good golf card.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 17:58   #610
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,423
Thanked: 6,345 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
It seems banks do not investigate fraudulent transaction their own. Do I need to file police FIR to reach proper resolution to this? I have sent mail to Citibank requesting transaction reversal and replacement card. Yet to receive response.
I had a similar transaction done on my ICICI card recently. I did NOT have to file an FIR. I was told to fill up a form [transaction dispute form] and fax & also email a scan copy of the form to the id they provided. In the mean time, they provided me temporary credit so that I didn't have to pay for the un-authorized transactions. The investigation took almost 3 months to conclude [they had mentioned SLA to be 90 days when I logged the complained] and finally the amount was reversed. The guys I talked to were quite helpful as well.

Check the same with Citi bank; ask them the process for filing a complaint for reversal of the charges and they should point you! All the best!

Edit:: If you know with which merchant has the transaction been done, please call up and get the details too; ask them to reverse the charges and inform your credit card company on the reversal if done. The dispute form has a mandatory check point which says you have tried contacting the merchant before raising the dispute [the form looked to be a generic one and not any bank specific].

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th March 2012 at 18:01. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 22:58   #611
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 463
Thanked: 171 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PS: OTP or special code is only if the transaction is in India. Payment at International sites usually don't require anything else apart from CC no & CVV code.
This transaction card is also probably from an international site. On a family vacation in Thailand last year, I had used my Citibank and ICICi cards. ICICI reached back immediately and told me they have to cancel my cards and issue new ones, because according to them credit card use in Thailand, among other countries, is susceptible to misuse. However they did not raise such concern for usage in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I had a similar transaction done on my ICICI card recently. I did NOT have to file an FIR. I was told to fill up a form [transaction dispute form] and fax & also email a scan copy of the form to the id they provided. In the mean time, they provided me temporary credit so that I didn't have to pay for the un-authorized transactions.

Check the same with Citi bank; ask them the process for filing a complaint for reversal of the charges and they should point you! All the best!

If you know with which merchant has the transaction been done, please call up and get the details too; ask them to reverse the charges and inform your credit card company on the reversal if done. The dispute form has a mandatory check point which says you have tried contacting the merchant before raising the dispute.
ICICI bank is quite proactive, refer my comment above. Citibank could not provide me any other detail, other than authorisation code:- no merchant name, no IP address, etc. However they assured me that they are investigating and until it is resolved just my credit limit will be blocked, I will not be billed for that amount under dispute.

I did not fill any dispute form, there does not seem to be any for Citibank. Is it available at bank websites?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 23:05   #612
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,423
Thanked: 6,345 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I did not fill any dispute form, there does not seem to be any for Citibank. Is it available at bank websites?
Well, you could give Citi CC a call and check whether you don't have to fill the forms or not. Also hope you have shot a mail in regards to the issue and they have provided you with a reference number and all.

Transaction Dispute Form: Form Center - ICICI Bank Ltd

See the last option under Credit Cards [first column].
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 13:07   #613
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,057
Thanked: 515 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

I did not fill any dispute form, there does not seem to be any for Citibank. Is it available at bank websites?
You can download the form from here http://www.online.citibank.co.in/por...orm_final1.pdf

Cheers!
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 13:12   #614
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

Nowdays all banks in India have an additional password for online transaction which you need to keyin physically, therefore chances of abuse using only the card details and CVV are very limited.

For additional swipes in shops etc you can always dispute it, if not made by you.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 18:24   #615
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default re: The Credit Card Thread

@lalvaz; Are GE also managing SBI ATM cards? I thought it was only Credit Cards where SBI is just a brand. My main bankers are Stanchart so I only use a SBI ATM Card. I get my salary through SBI. Also, access to Income Tax (payment, 26AS etc) are not available through foreign banks.

I also got some whumpf that depending of the day of application three days a week they issue Visa ATM cards, and on the other 3 days MC.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Credit Card Purchase Surcharge 1.5% (and a discussion on TIPS) sam003 Shifting gears 114 6th February 2013 12:28
Online Credit Card Scam...Pls help!! crn12 Shifting gears 20 21st January 2013 16:06
Credit Card:Converting Outstanding amount to EMI/Pay only minimum amount due?Advise ashwinsid Shifting gears 26 11th September 2009 15:24
Scary News : Network Solutions loses Credit Card information emkay456 Shifting gears 0 28th July 2009 14:01
Credit card menace kutlee Shifting gears 39 17th August 2007 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks