Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2013, 15:49   #1186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 675
Thanked: 138 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

I have been using a HDFC Platinum card since 2 years now . As mentioned earlier on this page the service charge component on petrol bunks transaction is not reversed by HDFC as i have been paying since i started using it.Also recently HDFC charged me 500INR extra for a transaction which never happened. Actually on 31st july i did 3 transactions at same petrol pump Inr 500/- in morning ,Ir 1862/- in evening and another Inr 500/- same evening.However before billing happened on 14th August 2013, i called customer care (for 6hours HDFC phone number gave me tune this number doesnot exist) telling online in my account under unbilled transaction duplicate transaction is being showed i.e there were 3 transcation of 500INR were being shown and not just 2 as had been done by me at that petrol pump.HDFC said when bill is generated it will be adjusted . When i got the bill i still had been billed extra 500INR . I went to petrol pump owner he showed me the days roll and said only 2 nos Inr500 transaction happened and they have not claimed the extra Inr500. HDFC says over email i show the charge slip of two transactions whereas i want them to produce the charge slips of invalid transactions which they are refusing to do .I wrote them email on 4 different email ids , called them , and filled up a form online but they just dont care. The system is biased against customers , if i end up delaying payments or underpayment they can destroy my credit score but if they loot me i have no right .So as i understand even when the Merchant did not claim the payment at end of day (Merchant closes card payments everyday and bank reimburses them next day) how come HDFC system shows this extra transaction of Inr 500. I consider it fraud.This can very well have been a large transaction where i will not be cooperated with like the petrol pump owner.And then i will end up paying that extra to HDFC so that they do not destroy my credit score.

Pathetic HDFC service .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 17th August 2013 at 15:54.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 16:51   #1187
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Actually on 31st july i did 3 transactions at same petrol pump Inr 500/- in morning ,Ir 1862/- in evening and another Inr 500/- same evening. [...] there were 3 transcation of 500INR were being shown and not just 2 as had been done by me at that petrol pump.
Don't understand what you are griping about. You did three transactions and you were charged three transactions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
The system is biased against customers , if i end up delaying payments or underpayment they can destroy my credit score but if they loot me i have no right
You have a well-defined escalation path within the bank and dispute redressal options outside. If you have exhausted all the ones within the bank, then take it to the next level - which would be the Banking Ombudsman.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 09:19   #1188
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 775 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I have been using a HDFC Platinum card since 2 years now . As mentioned earlier on this page the service charge component on petrol bunks transaction is not reversed by HDFC as i have been paying since i started using it.Also recently HDFC charged me 500INR extra for a transaction which never happened. Actually on 31st july i did 3 transactions at same petrol pump Inr 500/- in morning ,Ir 1862/- in evening and another Inr 500/- same evening.However before billing happened on 14th August 2013, i called customer care (for 6hours HDFC phone number gave me tune this number doesnot exist) telling online in my account under unbilled transaction duplicate transaction is being showed i.e there were 3 transcation of 500INR were being shown and not just 2 as had been done by me at that petrol pump.HDFC said when bill is generated it will be adjusted . When i got the bill i still had been billed extra 500INR . I went to petrol pump owner he showed me the days roll and said only 2 nos Inr500 transaction happened and they have not claimed the extra Inr500. HDFC says over email i show the charge slip of two transactions whereas i want them to produce the charge slips of invalid transactions which they are refusing to do .I wrote them email on 4 different email ids , called them , and filled up a form online but they just dont care. The system is biased against customers , if i end up delaying payments or underpayment they can destroy my credit score but if they loot me i have no right .So as i understand even when the Merchant did not claim the payment at end of day (Merchant closes card payments everyday and bank reimburses them next day) how come HDFC system shows this extra transaction of Inr 500. I consider it fraud.This can very well have been a large transaction where i will not be cooperated with like the petrol pump owner.And then i will end up paying that extra to HDFC so that they do not destroy my credit score.

Pathetic HDFC service .
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. The only way these people will sit up and take notice is when you involve the ombudsman into the equation.
I have tried this once for a dispute with HDFC, I got a call back within a day and the issue was resolved within 3 days.
The escalation details are provided in the HDFC website.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 14:29   #1189
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 386
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Hi folks,
I was searching for a thread related to "fuel credit cards" on team-bhp and found this one. Please redirect me if my question is inappropriate:

What is the current known best "fuel credit card" available in India? I generally refill at HP petrol pumps - and always with cash. Petrol prices being what they are, I was wondering if there are ways to save some additional bucks.

Also, what exactly does 2.5% waiver mean - does this mean that if I want to buy petrol worth Rs 1000 (my usual amount), my card would be charged Rs 975?

Thanks in advance!
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 15:24   #1190
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
What is the current known best "fuel credit card" available in India? I generally refill at HP petrol pumps - and always with cash.

Also, what exactly does 2.5% waiver mean - does this mean that if I want to buy petrol worth Rs 1000 (my usual amount), my card would be charged Rs 975?
If you fill for Rs. 1000 and pay cash, you will pay Rs. 1000 in cash.

If you fill for Rs. 1000 and pay by card, your card will be charged Rs. 1000 + Rs. 25 (2.5% surcharge) + Rs. 3.09 (12.36% service tax on surcharge) = Rs. 1028.09.

The "surcharge waiver" that everyone keeps talking of is the waiver of this extra Rs. 28.09 that they force you to pay. Different companies deal with this differently. My Citibank card (which waives the surcharge only at IOCL pumps) charges Rs. 1000 to my card. My HDFC card (which waives it at all pumps) charges Rs. 1028.09 and then credits me with Rs. 28.09 (which could be in the subsequent billing cycle too).

As for HP - I think they have a deal with ICICI Bank for co-branded cards. Though, I always prefer to have a card that works at all pumps, not just one brand.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 15:44   #1191
BHPian
 
JohnyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
...Also, what exactly does 2.5% waiver mean - does this mean that if I want to buy petrol worth Rs 1000 (my usual amount), my card would be charged Rs 975?

Thanks in advance!
As binand mentioned, it is waiver of the surcharge they impose. No savings at all. Better to continue using cash.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 16:55   #1192
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 386
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Thanks for the responses guys. I wonder why one would use a card then.. just to avoid carrying cash? Or maybe for reward points?

I'll stick to using cash
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 17:01   #1193
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Hi folks,
I was searching for a thread related to "fuel credit cards" on team-bhp and found this one. Please redirect me if my question is inappropriate:

What is the current known best "fuel credit card" available in India? I generally refill at HP petrol pumps - and always with cash. Petrol prices being what they are, I was wondering if there are ways to save some additional bucks.

Also, what exactly does 2.5% waiver mean - does this mean that if I want to buy petrol worth Rs 1000 (my usual amount), my card would be charged Rs 975?

Thanks in advance!
To add to other comments, I have a ICICI Titanium card which waves of surcharge from all pumps.

You can redeem your points for fuel at IOC pumps using Citibank IOC card. It also waves of surcharge of transaction in IOC done at a citi machine

You can earn cashback and surcharge waver at any pumps using Standard Chartered Super value Titanium card
There might be T&C associated with this on min/max spent
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 17:22   #1194
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 386
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
You can earn cashback and surcharge waver at any pumps using Standard Chartered Super value Titanium card
There might be T&C associated with this on min/max spent
Thanks for this link! This says "5% cash back on fuel at all petrol pumps in India. You’ll also receive a 2.5% surcharge reversal and 2.5% cash back on the transaction amount, be it BPCL, IOC, HPCL or Reliance"

- Do you have any idea of how this "5%" cash back works? Is this amount deducted from the credit card statement?

In any case, I see that the renewal charges for this card for the 2nd year onwards is Rs 750
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 19:21   #1195
BHPian
 
zalaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GJ 1
Posts: 295
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Thanks for this link! This says "5% cash back on fuel at all petrol pumps in India. You’ll also receive a 2.5% surcharge reversal and 2.5% cash back on the transaction amount, be it BPCL, IOC, HPCL or Reliance"

- Do you have any idea of how this "5%" cash back works? Is this amount deducted from the credit card statement?

In any case, I see that the renewal charges for this card for the 2nd year onwards is Rs 750
Hey quadmaniac,
I'm holding the same card. Following are rough calculations:
Card swipe for fuel - INR 1000
Entry in statement - INR 1025
5% cash back entry - INR 50

So, effectively 2.5% cash back.
I've negotiated renewal charges to nill. (cancellation request!)
SCB service is just pathetic. Avoid.
zalaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 21:26   #1196
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

I am being offered an SC Infinite card which is a life time free card (as I am told). Should I take it? Is there any catch which comes with this? Pl. let me know
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 22:12   #1197
BHPian
 
quadmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 386
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post

So, effectively 2.5% cash back.
I've negotiated renewal charges to nill. (cancellation request!)
SCB service is just pathetic. Avoid.
Thanks for the details zalaps. I agree - maintaining one credit card itself (my current SBI card) is a big hassle! I will probably skip saving the Rs 25 for now
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 22:13   #1198
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 230
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

How is citibank card ?
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 13:11   #1199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 675
Thanked: 138 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Don't understand what you are griping about. You did three transactions and you were charged three transactions.
Hi,
I did three transaction
1.) INR 1800approx x 1 transaction
2.) 500INr x 2 transaction.

The bank says inr 500 additional to above.

I have been able to get reply from HDFC that the amount will be adjusted .But this only happened when i got copies of days report and my charge slips from bunk and sent to them saying if they dont mend there ways i will go to court.But i have decided now to not use cards anywhere except online (where only credit card are working).I want to be safe now then sorry. What if HDFC fudged up on big transaction where i am unable to get merchant support?

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 21st August 2013 at 13:15.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 13:55   #1200
BHPian
 
JohnyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Hi,
... What if HDFC fudged up on big transaction where i am unable to get merchant support?
It's on the merchant to show proof that you purchased the items (or in your case 3 x 500 transactions). You can challenge and the credit card company (bank) will suspend the disputed amount and will get purchase slip with your signature. If the merchant is not able to produce 3 signed copies of your transactions, bank will reverse the charges.

I have done it 3 times and it went smooth all 3 times. I got the charges reversed twice. In one case, it was my mistake, I did the transaction, but forgot about it and the bank sent me scanned image of the purchase slip and I remembered.

In my experience, banks are supportive and they try to help the customers.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Credit Card Purchase Surcharge 1.5% (and a discussion on TIPS) sam003 Shifting gears 114 6th February 2013 12:28
Online Credit Card Scam...Pls help!! crn12 Shifting gears 20 21st January 2013 16:06
Credit Card:Converting Outstanding amount to EMI/Pay only minimum amount due?Advise ashwinsid Shifting gears 26 11th September 2009 15:24
Scary News : Network Solutions loses Credit Card information emkay456 Shifting gears 0 28th July 2009 14:01
Credit card menace kutlee Shifting gears 39 17th August 2007 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks