Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th November 2010, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010

PRESENTING THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST 2010.

LINK:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/photo-contest/

Closing 30th November 2010, 9am.

The below (entered) photographs are to let you know what you are up against, as Photos will be judged on creativity and photographic quality.

Entry fee: 15$
Prize:10,000$

Categories:
PEOPLE
NATURE
PLACES

DO MENTION THE STORY BEHIND THE PHOTOGRAPH AND INCLUDE IT IN YOUR ENTRY.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n01_alextan.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n02_seanheavey.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n05_ariowibisono2.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n06_freddycerdeira.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n11_joaovianna.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n15_amyhelenejohansson.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n16_jayfine.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n17_glenhush.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n21_stephenhocking.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-mother-child-.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n25_johnpalmergregg.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n29_namingeun.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n30_stephenmurdoch.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n33_natalialuzuriaga.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n39_linhdinh.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n35_ariowibisono.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n43_ronmccombe.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n45_nikosaunio.jpg  

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-n46_judystarkman.jpg  

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 24th November 2010 at 11:55.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 15:33   #2
BHPian

wow some of the pics are so good that I can not even think of entering into the contest with the images I have
pawan_pullarwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 15:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
wow some of the pics are so good that I can not even think of entering into the contest with the images I have
Pawan,
Then you have one full year to prepare for the 2011 contest.
Regards,
Old 24th November 2010, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fazal Saab: Some really awesome pictures. But am unable to understand the third picture.

So are you participating as well?

Cheers

P.S: BTW the only picture that comes to my mind for NGC is that of the Afghan Girl with hazel eyes.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 18:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

jeez the pictures are all so awesome ...
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 19:25   #6
BHPian

What's the story behind the nude photo?
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
What's the story behind the nude photo?
This lady survived a helicopter crash with some 45 broken bones.

This nude pic of her in the lush green grass signifies "rebirth"

To see more pics and to read the story behind them read here

Regards

Last edited by deky : 24th November 2010 at 19:41.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 20:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Fazal Saab: Some really awesome pictures. But am unable to understand the third picture.
So are you participating as well?
Cheers
P.S: BTW the only picture that comes to my mind for NGC is that of the Afghan Girl with hazel eyes.
MC,

Can you comment on the 10th photograph, the woman washing clothes?

This one was photographed by me, deep in Srisailam Tiger Reserve, of tribal woman with her mentally disabled son. She is all through keeping a vigilant eye on him (as he is pretending to help her) perched on a slippery rock. Just a few feet downstream of this perennial stream, on his right is a 30 foot deep gorge.

Not yet entered the contest, but may go ahead with this one.

The Afghan girl for you.
Regards,
Name:  afghangirlportrait127438sw.jpg
Views: 5061
Size:  61.5 KB

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 24th November 2010 at 20:55.
Old 25th November 2010, 00:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
MC,

This one was photographed by me, deep in Srisailam Tiger Reserve, of tribal woman with her mentally disabled son. She is all through keeping a vigilant eye on him (as he is pretending to help her) perched on a slippery rock. Just a few feet downstream of this perennial stream, on his right is a 30 foot deep gorge.

Not yet entered the contest, but may go ahead with this one.
I didn't understand, if you haven't already entered, how come your pic is up there?
Also IMO, the cloth (the blur) in the son's hand is distracting.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 00:57   #10
adc
Senior - BHPian

I might enter with this pic [for whatever be the worth] of a nomad taken at Koyoul beyond Fukche, close to China border, leading his horse into the rough weather of cold desert that is Changthang.

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-img_6611www.jpg

It was an absolutely cold night with gale force winds sweeping throughout the night late October 2010. As wife and child roughed it out in a tin shed that shook with the wind, I was inside the Safari VTT from 3:30 am keeping it started as diesel was freezing fast. Early morning I see this nomad leading his horse as inclement weather loomed large - sunlight breaking through the black cloud brings the determination of a Changthang nomad, living in a place so inhospitable that even Lehites dont think of going to these places . The stance of the man and horse somehow symbolizes these exact words to describe a Changthang nomad.

"The entire life of a nomad is determined by the simple fact that their animals have to be led to graze every single day of the year - 365 days a year, no holidays and no days off." - from the book Traditional healing in Ladakh by Ina Rosling.

But what category does it go into. people or place - for me it seems the former.

Last edited by adc : 25th November 2010 at 01:16.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 07:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MC,

Faazal Saab, my take below:

A picture speaks a 1000 words but this picture somehow doesn't bring out the significance of the mentally challenged child wanting to help the mother like normal human beings and the mother not wanting to disappoint her child allows her to do the work while keeping a strict vigil over him. The picture also doesn't capture the nearby gorge and its associated fatality very well. I would say quite a few elements of the storyline are not fully captured in this picture.

Having seen many a pictures of yours, I think one of yours shots from the Pench travelogue or one of a lone cattle in a deforested land of SriSailam forest can be good contenders. Deforestation especially can be a good storyline.

My 2 paisa.

Cheers.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 25th November 2010 at 07:36.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 10:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I might enter with this pic.
But what category does it go into. people or place - for me it seems the former.
adc,
Go for it, it is a very well composed shot and the contrasting colors, range are beautiful. Excellent DoF.
It will be under PLACES category.
All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I didn't understand, if you haven't already entered, how come your pic. is up there?
Also IMO, the cloth (the blur) in the son's hand is distracting.
Jaguar,
These pics. were copied from the NGS site and posted by me on this thread, I mixed mine in it to see, honest and first hand reaction like yours and MileCruncher's before I decide to enter the contest with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Faazal Saab, my take below:
Anirudha,
You are spot on right. Though I too could see those deficiencies, but my judgment was clouded, as I knew the live story.
The picture does not say all that I have written.
Appreciate your help and advice most sincerely. I guess I have one full year to work for the 2011 contest.
Regards,
Old 25th November 2010, 11:02   #13
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
adc, It will be under PLACES category.
All the best.
Thanks so much, yes seeing the archives of past photos, it does go into the places, but seeing the quality of pictures over there, this may be just another one of the images. Anyway I will post and thanks again for confirming.

Another one I had for nature, converted to B/W, the force and energy is evident more than colour but more me it does not show natural behaviour inspite of the unique pattern of the Kiangs - the image was created more due to darting across the road seeing us along the road. It was just one chance for a second as I braked hard and stopped and clicked - though could get all the Kiangs all across the lens, the composition is off with mountain top and sky cut off.

Enter,National Geographic 'Photograph of the Year' contest 2010-img_5011ww.jpg

Last edited by adc : 25th November 2010 at 11:11.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pictures; I'm blown away; I forgot my work, deadlines, pressure, deliverables for few minutes. Simply mind blowing pics; Thanks for the link @deky
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
the composition is off with mountain top and sky cut off.
adc,
Unfortunately, as you stated the composition didn't happen here, I think it was due to the hurried shot. Kiangs are also known as the Wild ***, am I right?
YOur earlier one has very good photographic quality, make sure you send the story behind it and also full resolution.
Regards,