Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th December 2005, 15:08   #16
Team-BHP Support

HP is also to be blamed somewhat if not fully for what happened. If their women employees get picked for job at the middle of the night they need to be more alert and watchful. There are so many loose threads here. Consider this...
  • The poor girl called her hubby once she boarded the car.
  • Her hubby was surprised that she did not call back after "reaching office".
  • He tried but could not get through to her. He got suspicious and worried but decided to wait.
  • In between, when she was picked up by this "driver" the actual driver turned up @her residence. He talked to the girl who was in that decoy car and was told that she has been picked up by his replacement cab.
  • This driver informed the HP helpdesk immediately that although he is there to pick her up some unknown vehicle has picked her up already!
Now consider this... HP did not do anything about it even after getting the message from the real driver although they knew that she has not turned up for the job and their was not supposed to be a replacement cab. Why, they even told her husband when he called up that she has not come for the job today. How stupid HP!!!

I believe that all these call centers should have helpdesk where the can drivers should notify after picking up each person, a la the call call cabs in southern cities. The driver always has a two way radio installed in the vehicle anyhow. This system will ensure that these kind of incidents can be traced the moment they happen.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2008 at 23:11.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 17:22   #17
BHPian

Well zappo, Almost all the companies do have helpdesks, But not effective ones, A big company will have close to 100-125 pickups in a normal day with three or four hours difference.The idea is to ensure that everyone is picked up and dropped, But as you rightly metioned there is no way to know if someone else picks up the employee. The same case happened with HP, The driver did inform the helpdesk but they did not cross check if it was the company cab.The system is in place, But sadly can be manipulated eaisly.The police are collecting information about all the drivers employed in the BPO sector, Also in our company female employees will never be picked up first and dropped last. This aint foolproof but reduces the risk..I think that guy should be hanged in Public, What a cruel way to take somones life....
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 18:22   #18
BHPian

Where is the Government law & order machinery's accountability in this episode? Bangalore wants BPO industry to contribute to its economy but does not want to do its share? Certainly, this incident may not have been the first, so what about police night patrols? I will not blame HP at all in this incident. At least they have taken the responsibility to provide company vehicles...

If the the main culprit deserves a public hanging, the city police chief at least deserves a public caning, Singapore style...
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 19:06   #19
BHPian

Well, finally there has some measure been taken to curb this sort of behaviour. All the companies(BPOs) have agreed to make the first and the last trip of the day an all male trip or make sure that there is a male colleague accompanying the female till she gets dropped off.
This I think isn't going to make the situation any better, now there'll be murders of the males followed by rapes and murders of female....WHEN WILL THESE PEOPLE LEARN??
Sid Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 19:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well one more thing can happen.. and that is Male colleagues raping thier female colleagues..

I think the measure should be female drivers.. Female drivers picking and dropping girls and male picking and droppign guys..

What you all guys think about this idea??
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 19:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Well one more thing can happen.. and that is Male colleagues raping thier female colleagues..

I think the measure should be female drivers.. Female drivers picking and dropping girls and male picking and droppign guys..

What you all guys think about this idea??
So what if the female driver gets stopped or has a puncture and gets raped by some pervert ?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 20:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

The issue of female drivers had cropped in Pune too, but in case of school buses only. This was after a little school going girl from a reputed school was molested by her bus driver (how sick can someone get?!). But what if something happens to the female drivers in case of late night drops? They may get waylaid too. But in Pune, I have already seen some school vans being driven by women.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 22:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sickening. Shoot the motherf*cker. In the crotch.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 23:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Man this rape thing will keep on happening no matter what we do, but female driver is just a precaution to it. I mean its better than a male driver dropping girls and raping them. Atleast with female drive driving one is safe.

Also on of my friend brother is in a Call Center in Autralia and they have wireless walky talkie which are connected to main call centre and those walkie are in eacha nd verycab and they had to turned on all the time so that Call center people can know whats the situation.

This was inforced there around a year ago because a Call center girl was murdered back to way by some jerks. They also killed the driver and 2 other guys.

So there is no way u can stop sht from happening but we can alway take measures to reduce or be safe from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
So what if the female driver gets stopped or has a puncture and gets raped by some pervert ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 00:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is India my friends. Nothing is going to come out of this shocking and gruesome incident. We will hear companies and cops making some noises for a few days, employee's will take out morcha's for a few days, political parties will jump in and try to score some brownie points and in few days things will go back to how they were.
The USP of these call center's is that they are cheap compared to western countries. Adding stuff like wireless sets, walkie talkies, GPS, security gaurds etc in the vehicles will increase costs and thats something the companies will NEVER do. As long as the companies are making money they don't care if a few Pratibha's get raped or murdered. There is some talk of checking credentials and doing background checks before drivers are appointed. This is really funny. The guy who raped and murdered the woman was not a criminal and that is the scary part. This driver was a "normal" person and he still did this grisly crime. Whats the point of doing background checks and security clearences in that case?
I was shocked to read the reason this guy gave for committing the crime. He hadn't had sex with his wife ever since her pregnancy and thats why he thought he could go and rape any woman that caught his fancy. And i repeat, this guy was NOT a criminal.

Last edited by amit : 19th December 2005 at 00:14.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 03:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

i Agree with amit. but the news is shocking.. the cops and govt or HP will do nothing about this.this news will fade off and eventually people will forget this.. very cruel act indeed.. people like this should be given a immediae death sentence in a brutal way so that others dont repeat it.. my condolences for the girl's family.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 10:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

I feel the whole southeastern asia has this problem of:

1. bad attitude towards women. (india, pak, afghanistan....whatever). everybody is just sex starved, and still not ready to accept it. still living in fake world of "cultured" society. oppose anything that's liberal (khushboo?), but as soon as it's dark, start looking for targets.

2. Greed/corruption: so what if you are an admiral in navy, a well paid politician or whatever, still you will sell country's secrets to get that extra money. you will kill others to get more money. and we call ourselves the spiritual guru of the world. losers.

3. religious fanaticism: we can kill people if our religion is attacked. so what if i don't have place to live. my lord shud have a temple only after dislocating the allah of other religion. what is 100s of ppl die every year in religious places, i will still visit ayyppa temple every year for my own well being. because that's more important than the issue of life and death.

are we really made to be this bad? i believe it's something to do with either the racial features, or the vibes in this region. may be geo-electro-magnetico...whatever effect on general mental health of people here.
can we really do something to improve it?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
This is India my friends. Nothing is going to come out of this shocking and gruesome incident.
I agree. The reasons are not far to seek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I was shocked to read the reason this guy gave for committing the crime. He hadn't had sex with his wife ever since her pregnancy and thats why he thought he could go and rape any woman that caught his fancy. And i repeat, this guy was NOT a criminal.
So the problem is that of a society that is sexually repressed.

First, hang the bugger and set an example. Capital punishment for rape is a requirement in a country where such crimes against women are so high - and the punishment has to be SWIFT. I would even recommend Saudi-style justice for such extreme cases.

Second, legalize prostitution and stop turning sex into a taboo. That MAY stop such desperate people from turning into sexual predators.

Finally, SACK a government that is so eager to shut down dance bars and arrest women for 'semi-nude' dancing but has no answers to such incidents. They have their priorities entirely wrong - they are bent on creating a 'moral' and 'chaste' environment where no woman is safe.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 11:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

What about the hindi movies where rape is routine ?
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 12:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
What about the hindi movies where rape is routine ?
Yeah I noticed that the government was eager to ban smoking on screen, but not rape.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote