Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd February 2008, 14:08   #46
BHPian

Even i didnt understand...someone working for a company comits a crime...how can you hold the MD of that organization responsible for that crime???

If we can hold the MD of the company responsible for anything that goes wrong in the company he is heading, likewise NHAI should also shoulder the responsibility of all the mishaps that occur on the roads that comes under its juridiction!

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
i am no longer proud to say I am from Bangalore.... it just keeps getting worse and worse....
Well Aditya, guess chennai is better right?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:18   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Can we file an FIR against the NHAI for all highway related accidents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Wrong thread buddy. Please do a search and post in the correct thread.
Sorry buddy, you were the one who got misled. I meant that if we cant hold NHAI responsible for accidents along the highway, we shouldnt hold the MDs responsible for crimes committed in the company.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Even i didnt understand...someone working for a company comits a crime...how can you hold the MD of that organization responsible for that crime???
amohit, let me try to explain : the MD is not being arrested because somebody in the company committed a crime : he was arrested because certain statutory orders (relating to the safety of women working late hours) were not followed in the organisation. One of the points to be adhered to is that if a female employee is being dropped off at late night by a cab, there has to be male colleague present (who will b be dropped off laast) or a security guard has to travel in the cab (in case there are no male colleagues leaving at that hour). In this case, the victim was the last person to be dropped off and there was no security guard present in the cab. For this violation, the police have arrested the MD.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Well Aditya, guess chennai is better right?
Every city has its pro's and con's vikram. I dont want to start a debate on which city is better. I like both equally.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Every city has its pro's and con's vikram. I dont want to start a debate on which city is better. I like both equally.
Thats exactly what i wanted to tell you the other day..finally you said it..Good..now welcome to chennai! And tolerate the mad buggers [read auto psychos who wanna bump you]
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
amohit, let me try to explain : the MD is not being arrested because somebody in the company committed a crime : he was arrested because certain statutory orders (relating to the safety of women working late hours) were not followed in the organisation. One of the points to be adhered to is that if a female employee is being dropped off at late night by a cab, there has to be male colleague present (who will b be dropped off laast) or a security guard has to travel in the cab (in case there are no male colleagues leaving at that hour). In this case, the victim was the last person to be dropped off and there was no security guard present in the cab. For this violation, the police have arrested the MD.
To elaborate a little further, every employee in India is covered by some labour act or the other that deals with their work hours, welfare facilities, etc. Manufacturing employees are covered by Factories Act, agriculture employees by Plantation Labour Act, shop workers by Shops and Establishments Act, etc.
IT employees, IMO, come under the Shops Act, for which each state is empowered to make rules within the broad purview of the Act. But owing to rigid stipulations related to work hours for women, etc. most IT companies have been enjoying a honeymoon of not getting questioned for violations of the Act. Even the government has been lying low on this count for fear of offending MNC investments. It is only when glaring mishaps like this occur that they wake up from their slumber and pull up their socks.
All labour acts hold the chief executive accoutable for violations, unless he can prove that he had given an express order to one of his direct reports to follow the rules under the act , and that order was not complied with.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Blue Thunder I totally agree with this. The way the case was shown on TV was wrong where they just said the MD is being arrested but he was arrested because of negligence on his part to see that certain rules framed were to be followed. This was tightly fought as HP actually didnt come in front and distanced temselves from the case when it happened by claiming that the vehicle belonged to a transport company.

Anyone remembers the Bhopal gas tragedy. Along with union carbide the MD of the company was also booked for criminal negligence. So basically what is happening in your comany is your responsibility as a leader. This is the message that the supreme court is trying to convey to people so dont get it wrong!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Anyone remembers the Bhopal gas tragedy. Along with union carbide the MD of the company was also booked for criminal negligence. So basically what is happening in your comany is your responsibility as a leader. This is the message that the supreme court is trying to convey to people so dont get it wrong!
Sorry for going off topic but those who want to know more about UCC incident can actually read all the information at the link I am providing below.

Bhopal Information Center
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:53   #55
BANNED

Thumbs down

You misled me & everyone .
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sorry buddy, you were the one who got misled.
If you can prove that NHAI is responsible for the accidents, then you can prosecute NHAI.

As far as I know, NHAI builds quality roads, prescribes speed limits, provides crossings for pedestrians. Thats their responsibility. If the road-users don't comply, then its not the problem of NHAI.

Quote:
I meant that if we cant hold NHAI responsible for accidents along the highway, we shouldnt hold the MDs responsible for crimes committed in the company.
If the MD doesn't adhere to the law of the land, then whats wrong in holding him responsible? As required by Karnataka labour law, he & his team failed to provide security cover to a woman employee during night drop. His adherence would have saved a life .
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 04:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
This is terribile...... when can our women feel safe? Some stricter forms of punishments are NEEDED to discourage the trend.

We have lived in Cochin, Bangalore, Delhi and Chandigarh and now in Ahemdabd for the past 7 years. I have nothing against other cities......... we have felt the safest in Ahmedabad. It my sound strange.... people who move from other cities, even Mumbai, find Ahmedabad safe for women folk. In fact, many of our colleagues wives force their husbands to buy houses and settle down here. Hope it stays that way for a long time.

Delhi has been the most stressful place for late nights (ppl get panicky if their near and dears are little late coming home). I hear Bangalore crime rate is also on the raise with the neo culture kicking in.

Now...... Delhiaites, Banglorians and Mumbaites, pl. dont go for my Juglar.... these are my impressions.

--Ramky.
----------------------
I completely agree with you. Ahmedabad, and actually Gujarat as a whole is very safe for women folk. A woman can travel at 12 in the night and be still safe. Cities like Chennai, Bangalore are full of 'porikki pasanga' (rowdies basically) who ogle and whistle and do all sorts of crap when a women is going around alone. And the rubbing in the bus , disgusting. No wonder a whole lot of women these days are buying their own modes of transport.

And as for the guy who did this, he should be castrated. That would serve as an example for the future.

But guys I have a question. This is not the first time a woman has been raped and murdered. Why is such a big halla being raised now? Is it because she is in IT? In a place like Bihar or UP this is probably very common. Why don't people say anything against that?

Last edited by Centro-P : 24th February 2008 at 05:03.
Centro-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 07:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
I completely agree with you. Ahmedabad, and actually Gujarat as a whole is very safe for women folk. A woman can travel at 12 in the night and be still safe. Cities like Chennai, Bangalore are full of 'porikki pasanga' (rowdies basically) who ogle and whistle and do all sorts of crap when a women is going around alone. And the rubbing in the bus , disgusting. No wonder a whole lot of women these days are buying their own modes of transport.

And as for the guy who did this, he should be castrated. That would serve as an example for the future.

But guys I have a question. This is not the first time a woman has been raped and murdered. Why is such a big halla being raised now? Is it because she is in IT? In a place like Bihar or UP this is probably very common. Why don't people say anything against that?
Trust me, Delhi and most of the north is even worse. They have no respect for women there. They are treated as a commodity or inferior to males.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 09:54   #58
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Trust me, Delhi and most of the north is even worse. They have no respect for women there. They are treated as a commodity or inferior to males.
In delhi - i can say its 100% true. And its not some goondas who behave like this - its common folks.

Mumbai & bangalore are now no different. They used to be safe for women 10 yrs back but are becoming another delhi now.

I think to curb crimes like these - there should be special fast-track courts and death penalty should be mandatory punishment if proven guilty. The offender, having been pronounced guilty beyond doubt, should be hanged immediately.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 10:08   #59
BHPian

Its a sorry state really. Women being ogled at, touched and manhandled in public.. A shame to say the least. Im sure things in Mumbai are a lot worse than what they were a few years. back. Cant really comment on Bangy since ive only been there on a few occasions. Not really stayed there so to say.
North and Delhi is the most notorious in this. Have actually seen Motorbike boys stopping near women, running their hands on them and driving away fast. All this in broad daylight and in the open.. How frustrated can you get? And if these people are caught, they must be handed over to the public to tear them apart and distribute the pieces to the dogs..

The punishment for this should be nothing short of the death penalty..
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 10:19   #60
LLL
BHPian

I am sometimes aghast at the way people behave and feel ashamed to be an Indian.

Foreigners are most frequently targetted and i sometimes feel indian govt should launch a "do not visit india" campaign for the safety of foreigners.

Once i was travelling in a DTC bus and there were a group fo schoolgirls going to their school, not older than 10 yr olds. There was another grp of uncles...all with greying hair and aged more than 40 - basically they would have daugthers the age of these school girls.

these guys were standing close to these children and were speaking in the most filthy language...they didnt say anything to these girls and were talking amongst themselves...but i was shocked to hear the language - cant even imagine what impression it would have left on those young minds. Would have liked to see these kids replaced by the uncle's daughters and then see them using this kind of lingo.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote