Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th February 2008, 21:57   #76
BHPian

@ patchyboy

hey your points are very valid and brings into light the ignorance of the common people in taking precautions. though we hear of horrifying cases of rape and murder, most of the people who read about these cases feel that it cannot happen to them, so when they are put in a seemingly ordinary situation(in case of the call centre girl who probably never imagined the intentions of the 'replacement' driver) they tend to overlook the dangers involved and get on with it.

take care everyone its a bad world out there
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 00:28   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are here discussing a gruesome crime committed against a hapless woman.
We were.

I think that now we are discussing the most recent development; the arrest and alleged liability of the company's MD.

That doesn't mean anyone forgot how gruesome the crime was.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 01:20   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Of course, I was only discussing attitude of indian females towards not rising up for their own safety
In a civilised society, one does not expect to have to rise up for one's safety.

And the word you're looking for is ladies, or women. Not females.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 01:43   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
In a civilised society, one does not expect to have to rise up for one's safety.

And the word you're looking for is ladies, or women. Not females.
thanks, I am not good at words.

and how do you create a (not going into the definition) civilised society? when women themselves accept moral policing, male dominance and the related consequences as preferred mode of living.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 02:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Well, at the risk of straying off-topic, a civilised society can also be defined as one where everyone is pretty much happy with his or her lot, and no one's will is forced upon someone. If the women are happy in their state, and laws are abided by, is anything amiss?

Of course, if they are NOT happy, that is a different issue.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 10:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
though we don't have a daughter yet, I concluded saying I would prefer (in the worst case) my daughter going to the prom, making out with guys and getting pregnant at 16 in US, than living under archaic society rules, and getting raped and murdered in a public train in India.
You do make it sound as if every 3rd woman in India has been raped & murdered in a public train. I wonder how much of the American Culture would you know & how much you actually understood (Presuming of course that you do know the Indian culture) to make those sweeping statements. I do hope your daughter-to-come never ever gets to read this.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 10:39   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We were.

I think that now we are discussing the most recent development; the arrest and alleged liability of the company's MD.

That doesn't mean anyone forgot how gruesome the crime was.
I think the question is whether the company had done enough to prevent such a gruesome incident from happening in the first place and whether they have at least now taken all steps humanly possible to prevent such incidents from happening again.

So the arrest of the company's MD does make these companies look up and pay attention to the security of their employees. So far, the standard response from the companies when such incident happen is that its an outsourced vendor who is responsible and they just wash their hands off the whole matter.

Suppose a hundred people fall ill or die due to food poisoning after eating food at the office canteen, who should be held responsible - the office management or the canteen vendor ?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 18:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You do make it sound as if every 3rd woman in India has been raped & murdered in a public train. I wonder how much of the American Culture would you know & how much you actually understood (Presuming of course that you do know the Indian culture) to make those sweeping statements. I do hope your daughter-to-come never ever gets to read this.
I don't think u either read the postscript or the subsequent posts in the thread. But I don't blame ya. the whole purpose of my post was to (over?) emphasize my point.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote