Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st December 2010, 16:09   #16
BHPian

In some of the smaller airports, like the one in my home town, the security guy gives you a token when you put the laptop/other items in the plastic tray. At the time of collecting your laptop/other items, you submit the token and get your respective tray (which also contains a similar token).

I wonder why such a simple thing is not followed at the bigger airports. The common excuse is that bigger airports have more passengers, but I don't find this to be a valid reason. How long does it take to give a token ?

Also, I always double check that I have collected my own laptop and even login to make sure that it is actually mine.

But still, to be safe from other careless people who pick up someone else's laptop, I would also be putting a Team-BHP sticker on my laptop. Who knows, one might meet another Team-BHPian at the airport because of these stickers and can discuss cars with them while waiting for the flight.

I think we will need one more thread for Team-BHP stickers spotted on laptops.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 16:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

heh. my office laptop is so old that the chances of someone else picking it up or me picking up someone else's are non existent! Its from the era when IBM still made laptops
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:25   #18
BHPian

Its a good idea to login to you laptop after passing through the security check at the airport, while waiting for the flight.

This way if you realise that laptop got exchanged with someone, you have a better chance of locating that person at the airport itself.

Rohan
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its the duty of the airport security to ensure that authorized passenger picksup correct luggage.

I find it hard to believe that it is SO EASY to STEAL the baggage (whether hand carried or checked-in) from the airplane/airport.

Similar thing happened with me at Calcutta airport 2 years back.
I had Dell D620 laptop with std laptop bag.
The flight reached Calc at around 1230 am.

I had next day flight to Guwahati for official purpose - morning 5 or 6 - that makes it only 5hours of night in between.

Now this gentleman who also had Dell D620 + same bag jumped from his seats - on touchdown, as if there is fire on the plane - I could never understand why most ppl act like this moron on airplanes? (Of course at that time I didn't know that this guy was taking my bag - or even the existence of this guy)

And vanished taking "his" belongings.
By the time I picked up "my" bag and understood that it was not mine (while descending the stairs) - I raised alarm with the flight staff - and consequently the security.

Ran to the checked-in baggage counter to see if I could find this man.
No one was carrying Dell laptop bag.

What the ...

Somehow I managed to find a small diary sort of thing in his bag - called him and asked him to check his laptop bag.
He realized he has taken mine in a hurry.
He came back to airport and apologized ...

So few things I realized:
1. Always keep your baggage in your sight. If the flight attendant make a fuss, ask them to take the responsibility.
2. Always keep a track of these "jumping jokers" who rush to make exit while the plane is still taxiing.
3. Always keep a sharp eye at check-in baggage collection belt. Some ppl are known to mistakenly pick other ppl's items.

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd December 2010 at 12:57.
alpha1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just prompted me to put a small sticker with my initials on the cover.
will do soon, also prompted me to change the log-on screen with my contact details. they will have my info without needing to log-on.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
will do soon, also prompted me to change the log-on screen with my contact details. they will have my info without needing to log-on.
How to do this (in Windows) ?

Rohan
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
How to do this (in Windows) ?

Rohan
I am not sure, but I think older versions of windows display the current user's wallpaper.

here is the link for windows 7. I didn't have to do the registry change since my toshiba already had a custom logon screen. I just replaced it with my own. just make sure it's less than 256 kb.

Log On Screen - Change - Windows 7 Forums
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:29   #23
BHPian

For those who are wary of downloading stuff over the net, here is an alternate process
1. Create the folders Info and Info\Backgrounds in C:\windows\system32\oobe
2. Take your preferred image (.jpg) and save to a size under 256 KB [Important]. MS Office picture manager does this efficiently via the compress picture link ('choose compress for documents')
3. Rename this file as backgroundDefault.jpg and move to folder created above.
4. Use gpedit.msc (in administrative mode) and enable custom logon background under Administrative templates/system/logon.

You should be all set. Hope this helps!

** Most of the instructions lifted off the net **
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

My laptop has a big visible company sticker on it. People think I am showing off. They couldn't be more wrong!!!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 15:16   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Laptop exchanged at Mumbai airport security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That indeed is a horrid experience. In a corporate world without your laptop and mobile even your mere existence is questioned

Hence, do something like this to clearly identify your laptop ( sorry for image quality) :
Thanks for the tip, Mobike . This is what my laptop looks like now:

Laptop exchanged at Mumbai airport security-04122010491.jpg
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 15:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Laptop exchanged at Mumbai airport security

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the tip, Mobike . This is what my laptop looks like now:
Hey,i have a similar one,Dell XPSM1530.
Now time to stick one such sticker on it
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote