Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Is Indian media biased or unethical?
Yes 116 93.55%
No 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 11:30   #76
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Im sorry, I just read through this thread and found it hilarious. You guys do know what this thread portrays right!! It portrays the fact that you all would actually watch nonsense like India TV but not NDTV!!! Are you guys kidding me?? Barkha dutt is one of the best journalists on TV today. Please disagree with my opinion, although it woudnt make much of a difference. A few question I would like to put up here, and Id love to see responses to the same!!
--Do you think any single media house in the world is unbiased?
--Do you actually think TeamBHP for that fact is unbiased??
--Do you think this bias doesnt go on in other publications or channels irrespective of how credible they are??

If you do, you SERIOUSLY need a reality check. Everyone from BBC to CNN to NDTV is biased for a reason. Do you think they exist for charity?? They are a business and like every other business they exist for a profit!! If you disagree with the fact that they broadcast nonsense, please dont watch it. But please, Dont say you dont watch it and then actually go watch it........which after reading this thread is what you all do!!!

Anything to start a "bashing" I guess.....
Cyrus43 is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 11:38   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Dude Cyrus: Journalism is to get news and not to get paid to give news. No one supported India Tv but is against the junk which gets poured on us.

Barka being the best journalist!! My foot. Any person with some sense would not ask a question like "Aap ko kaisa lag raha hai" to a person who lost a loved one.

Different people different opinions. All ii can say is stick to yours but stop justifying it
maddy42 is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 11:50   #78
BHPian
 
MutantX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 868
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Cyrus, I should partially agree with you. Paid news & paid motor reviews are a part and parcel in the media industry. Be it print, Television or internet new/forums, paid sensational news just cant be avoided. It is left to people like to learn the art of selective hearing.
MutantX is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 12:16   #79
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Dude Cyrus: Journalism is to get news and not to get paid to give news. No one supported India Tv but is against the junk which gets poured on us.

Barka being the best journalist!! My foot. Any person with some sense would not ask a question like "Aap ko kaisa lag raha hai" to a person who lost a loved one.

Different people different opinions. All ii can say is stick to yours but stop justifying it
yes but what you dont realize is that "Aap ko kaisa lag raha hai" is what the masses want!! Remember, it is MASS MEDIA. You are arguing with a journalist my friend..
Cyrus43 is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 12:46   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
As long as news (print/tv) are dependent on advertisers, this will continue to happen.

Partly, we consumers are to blame. We don't blink an eye spending couple of 100 bucks on popcorns & chips, but when it comes to buying a magazine for 20 bucks, it becomes a problem. Unless support is shown to real investigative journalism like say, Tehelka or Outlook & few others, by subscribing / buying of the mags, chances are these media orgs would continue to be stooges of corporates & politicians.
Well, I subscribe to Outlook. Have been a subscriber for around 3-4 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Why does everything want to be spoon fed ? Can't you guys find out like the your western heros are finding out ? I am suprised that geniuses even after staying for quite a while abroad don't know what is what and what is not. Either you know everything and pretending or you are not aware. One thing is for sure I am not wasting and will not waste anyone's time here. One question, how many of you guys took injections for preventive flu distributed for free ?
Before I can find out what my western heroes are finding out, I first need to find out who exactly are my western heroes who are finding out whatever they are finding out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Barkha dutt is one of the best journalists on TV today.
I think she is a journalist only in the very loose sense of that word.
carboy is online now  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:04   #81
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

I disagree. Just because she is a little hyped and a little over enthusiastic doesnt mean she is a bad journalist. I stand by my statement that she is one of the best journalists in India today.
Cyrus43 is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:10   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Barkha dutt is one of the best journalists on TV today.
Quote:
--Do you think any single media house in the world is unbiased?
--Do you actually think TeamBHP for that fact is unbiased??
--Do you think this bias doesnt go on in other publications or channels irrespective of how credible they are??
Quote:
They are a business and like every other business they exist for a profit!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You are arguing with a journalist my friend..
And ladies and gentleman the ROT is as we all see it. Thanks for enlightening. Its I am in their camp so... I need to save my brethren.

You wont get it man, you are one of them.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:17   #83
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

isn't that mature!

Yes I am. And there is nothing wrong in wanting to make money.

I just spoke to my political Correspondent (my grandfather) and asked him on his views. He said, and he knows what he is talking about as he has seen it all, that the guy who leaked the confidential papers in the first place must not have been given his share of the money.

Why am I the only one who doesnt see a problem with a journalist talking on behalf of an Industrialist??
Cyrus43 is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:28   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

^
Not to enter an argument, but it seems, its adjustment to your immediate surroundings Or best you are innate my friend
Sn1p3r is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:29   #85
BHPian
 
Xinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
isn't that mature!

Yes I am. And there is nothing wrong in wanting to make money.


So for example if (Just hypothesizing) if Barkha Dutt has actually paid you to come and call her the 'best journalist' on this and other online forums, you would see nothing wrong in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Why am I the only one who doesnt see a problem with a journalist talking on behalf of an Industrialist??
Which publication/channel do you work for by the way? Is talking/reporting on 'behalf' of industrialists (for cash or kind) encouraged in this organization of yours too?
Xinger is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:35   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 333 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
yes but what you dont realize is that "Aap ko kaisa lag raha hai" is what the masses want!! Remember, it is MASS MEDIA. You are arguing with a journalist my friend..
How come you say that masses want this? I never want and just wanna news associated with incident. Do you want? These are the just cover up statements that "Masses Wants". I, you and others do not go to media and say what kind of interview you should take from the victims.

Everyone works for profit but to earn extra TRP or Profit many of the known people are taking incorrect way.
anujmishra is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:40   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I just spoke to my political Correspondent (my grandfather) and asked him on his views. He said, and he knows what he is talking about as he has seen it all, that the guy who leaked the confidential papers in the first place must not have been given his share of the money.
What's your point? Who leaked it is irrelevant.
The problem is with the content of the leaks & how the tamasha media tried to blackout the leaks.
carboy is online now  
Old 5th December 2010, 13:41   #88
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
So for example if (Just hypothesizing) if Barkha Dutt has actually paid you to come and call her the 'best journalist' on this and other online forums, you would see nothing wrong in it?

Which publication/channel do you work for by the way? Is talking/reporting on 'behalf' of industrialists (for cash or kind) encouraged in this organization of yours too?
I woudnt need her to come and pay me, because looking at what other rubbish the media industry produces, she is much better. And the last I heard, this was an open forum where I can post MY views and not just go as the flow goes and start bashing people of brands.

And Where I worked is none of your business. Let me assure you though, that at some point in your life you have read what we print. Without Fail. and it isn't even a newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^
Not to enter an argument, but it seems, its adjustment to your immediate surroundings Or best you are innate my friend
Just being realistic here. Thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How come you say that masses want this? I never want and just wanna news associated with incident. Do you want? These are the just cover up statements that "Masses Wants". I, you and others do not go to media and say what kind of interview you should take from the victims.

Everyone works for profit but to earn extra TRP or Profit many of the known people are taking incorrect way.

If thats the case, Why dont some of you actually do something about it rather than sitting behind a computer and bashing everyone all the time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's your point? Who leaked it is irrelevant.
The problem is with the content of the leaks & how the tamasha media tried to blackout the leaks.
Im sorry, are you kidding? Is that a feeble attempt at a joke. Who leaked is VERY relevant. But then this argument is about The journalists credibility. What they did was NOT illegal. Lobbying is NOT illegal.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 5th December 2010 at 13:43.
Cyrus43 is offline  
Old 5th December 2010, 14:08   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I woudnt need her to come and pay me, because looking at what other rubbish the media industry produces, she is much better.
Looks like you didn't answer the question asked. The question wasn't whether you would need her to come & pay you.
Read the question again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im sorry, are you kidding? Is that a feeble attempt at a joke. Who leaked is VERY relevant. But then this argument is about The journalists credibility. What they did was NOT illegal. Lobbying is NOT illegal.
Who leaked is totally irrelevant to the question of whether Barkha Dutt or Vir Sanghvi did something they shouldn't do.

It may not be illegal, but at the same time it's not ethical either

- A journalist shouldn't be engaged in PR for a minister or company.
- A journalist shouldn't be asking input from a PR person on how to slant a story.
- And even more important, media shouldn't be protecting their own without reason - i.e. the attempted news black out of the Radia tapes.

All may not be illegal, but they aren't ethical either.

However, I don't usually question the ethics of Raju Shrivastav or Rakhi Sawant. Since NDTV & other news channels are competing with Rakhi & Raju, I guess I shouldn't question the ethics of the so called journalists either.

Last edited by carboy : 5th December 2010 at 14:13.
carboy is online now  
Old 5th December 2010, 14:19   #90
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Looks like you didn't answer the question asked. The question wasn't whether you would need her to come & pay you.
Read the question again.
I did. You didn't decipher it correct.

Quote:
Who leaked is totally irrelevant to the question of whether Barkha Dutt or Vir Sanghvi did something they shouldn't do.

It may not be illegal, but at the same time it's not ethical either

- A journalist shouldn't be engaged in PR for a minister or company.
- A journalist shouldn't be asking input from a PR person on how to slant a story.
- And even more important, media shouldn't be protecting their own without reason - i.e. the attempted news black out of the Radia tapes.


All may not be illegal, but they aren't ethical either.
Why should a Journalist not engage in PR activities?? If the Chicago Tribune (a Republican Supporting Newspaper), the Houston Chronicle, the Denver Post and the New York Daily News supported Obama during his electoral process, that was OK, but this isnt??

And who decides what is ethical? BTW, if we were to know how everything actually happened, do you think you would buy the same clothes you but, drive the same car you drive or eat the same food you eat??

As long as I am doing nothing wrong in the way I run my business legally and it does not hurt anyone, how does it affect you? What you think is not ethical may be ethical to me. It is all about perception!!



There is a Difference between being biased and Unethical. Im biased towards Tata cars because I know that they are rubbish. Is that unethical? No. And If I print that, Is that unethical? If I get paid by someone in Tata motors to shut up and then I print it nonetheless, is that unethical? There are alot of "What If's" here and it isnt as simple as it seems.

Also, I havent really read the Outlook article yet, just heard it over the telephone when my Grandfather read it out to me.

These are my views and I am entitled to them.....whether you guys like it or not!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 5th December 2010 at 14:23.
Cyrus43 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Hyundai Tucson/ IX 35 exposed uncloaked sidindica The International Automotive Scene 42 28th May 2012 15:24
Next Mercedes CLS exposed! sidindica The International Automotive Scene 62 25th August 2010 11:44
Exposed versus Covered Rear Wheel Chains in Bikes anjan_c2007 Motorbikes 11 15th January 2009 20:56
speaker exposed. will dust pollution spoil it? amitsingh08 In-Car Entertainment 4 13th November 2007 11:37
Is the Indian Media handling the Indian debacle in the world cup responsibly. muni Shifting gears 18 30th March 2007 11:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks