Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd December 2010, 13:26   #1
BHPian

Default Marketing Fraud - Hotel Life Ludhiana

Marketing Fraud HOTEL LIFE LUDHIANA
Welcome to Life A Leisure Hotel Ludhiana
Dear Friends
I have been scammed. for 7000 Rupees, Over the Phone........Yeah , I know this sounds stupid, me being in the finance Industry etc etc....
I got a call from a Delhi Number, offering some package for Hotel Life Ludhiana ( A 5 Star Property) , where I am a regular visitor. I called up the Hotel on their regular number and the
recpetion confirmed that the package is correct. I gave the credit card details on the phone to the Caller from Delhi and they transacted 6999/- from my card. After 4-5 days
when I did not recieve the said coupons , I called the number from Delhi , there was no repsonse. I called hotel Life ,They said that they would get back to me. Again After 2 days, when I called the
Hotel People again Today, They Gave me the Number of MR Antony , who was quite rude saying that even if the Hotel had confirmed verbally , I had nothing in written and the whole thing is a fraud.
I called up my bank and blocked the card immedieately, but how do I get the money Back....
The Hotel calls can be confirmed that on the day of transaction , I called the Hotel at the same time I had the call from Delhi and I can get the phone records for them
Can Some one Advise and Support
ALSO ALL BEWARE OF SUCH SCAMS.......
rohitgaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:47   #2
BHPian

You can contest the charge with your bank,right?
Since you haven't signed on any charge slip, how would the bank prove that you had done the transaction? If the bank claims that someone did it after obtaining the details from you legally, that would need to be proved using IVR records or web transaction records, right? If these records are indeed available, then this proves that the hotel representatives charged you for a service they offered, but have not delivered. As far as I, a layman, know, any contract that involves payment needs to have a corresponding service or goods that the payment is being made for.

I know it's just a layman's view and following up on these guys is a strain on one's time and nerves, but I would follow this thread and hope that you get your money back.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

What sidkun says is correct. Very logical. However, what appears to me is that the hotel did not transact with you. Rather its someone who said that he represents the hotel. Was the delhi number, hotel number or a private number? I wont be surprised to know if its a STD/PCO number.

Now for the bank. What appears is that you gave credit card details and this person impersonated you and got money transferred. In any case the bank would have the voice recordings. Check the account to which money has been credited. Does it belong to the hotel?

If you investigate all these you will be able to find out the real culprit.
All the best.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:52   #4
BHPian

Once you reveal your credit card number and CVV number in an uncrypted way, it is very easy for any one to impersonate you. I assume that you revealed your CVV number too ( the three digit code) on the phone.

The bank is very likely to say that since you gave the CVV number to a third party, it is a confirmation that you authorised that person to do transactions on your behalf. The only hope you have is to trace the account to which the money is credited and hopefully you will get some leads.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...try one trick, it may or may not work as its more than week since the transaction has occured; simply call up the bank & state that you lost the credit card. Probably you'll land up paying minimal than the entire money as such.

The chances are only 50-50 because, as I said before, its almost a week over now. But no harm giving a try. But if you've online account with the credit card, check for the transaction & proceed.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:23   #6
BHPian

I do not think that the banks in India pick up the fraud tab in case of lost/stolen/compromised cards. In our country the onus is on the cardmember till the point he/she reports the incident to the bank. I think the laws are pretty clear on that front. So IMO there is no point in involving the bank if you are claiming fraud.

What you can do is dispute the charge. Usually the bank releases payment to the merchant (on whose site/portal the card was used) after a lag of around 10-15 days. You could say that you were cheated and request the bank not to release the payment.

Other than that talk to the hotel folks to ascertain who answered your call on that day and whether their records reflect a payment of 7k from your card.

@VMC - Everybody who has a VISA card has to go through Verified by Visa (similarly MasterCard has MasterCard Secure). Also each time you do an online transaction your bank is obliged to send you a SMS if it has your cellphone number. These are RBI mandated guidelines. However these rules do not apply to international transactions.

The fact that no further purchases were made points to a shrewd person well aware of these rules. Had he tried to purchase anything online the actual cardmember would have been alerted and the card blocked then and there - and with it the fraudster's 7k would also have gone down the drain.

Last edited by Cesc : 3rd December 2010 at 15:38.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:26   #7
VMC
BHPian

We should never reveal the CVV number to any third party.
Now these details can be used by them to buy anything online meaning they can still make purchases using your card details.
Do you have a VISA card? Visa has something called VERIFIED by VISA to prevent fraudulent transactions.
VMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:51   #8
BHPian

^^^
FYI I never gave my CVV Number, he just took my card number.

Last edited by rohitgaur : 3rd December 2010 at 15:53.
rohitgaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
^^^
Without the CVV number, you cannot complete the transaction.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
^^^
That's really strange cos no online transaction can be completed without the CVV firstly, and then there is the visa or matercard secure code on top of that, which however is not required for over teh phone transactions. Are you sure the transaction did complete ? I mean its possible that if you check with the bank, they have not received the transaction request for this amount at all.

As for the CVV number my experience is that most of the airlines do not have an IVR system for on phone transactions and they simply ask you out your card number and CVV code etc. I have experinced this with Spice jet and Kingfisher (both domestic and international). Don't you think that at least an IVR system should be manadated by RBI? I had emergencies both teh times and I had to give out my card details at those times. but isnt the practice unfair...? moreover, it didnt ask for a visa secure code.

My point is that if Tata Sky people can have an IVR , why cant the airlines. the technology exists.
Rodie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Are you sure the transaction did complete ? I mean its possible that if you check with the bank, they have not received the transaction request for this amount at all.

My thoughts too. Do check with the bank. It is impossible to complete any transaction without swiping the card/ the CVV code.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have a few questions:-

1. Are you suspecting the Hotel cheating you? That is charging you money and not giving you membership?

2. Do you suspect that some third party, who is aware of such scheme from the hotel has conned you?

Thanks
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 17:49   #13
BHPian

Hey Rohit. I too dont think that any credit card transaction can be completed without a cvv number. So check up with your bank and find out whats wrong. Secondly if in case your account has been debited,then you can ask the bank for the other parties bank details i.e in which account has that money gone.

Now about hotel Life, If you say that somebody from the hotel confirmed to you about that scheme, then I am sure the hotel people are involved. Because this hotel earlier 'Nirvana' was involved in another marketing scam beforehand. If you want we can go to the hotel posing as customers for this so called membership and find out the truth. I am sure we can deal with this Mr. Antony in our own Punjabi way too. Do let me know if you need any help.
Nitin Jain
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 18:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Rohitgaur,
At the outset I can guarantee you the hotel is involved in the scam (if that term is right).
Are you really doubly sure that what facts you have quoted are correct.

Have you applied for something and later withdrew saying you dont want etc. Please let us know.

The hotels are allowed to use this privilage only if the customer backs out on something that they had guaranteed.

The banking regulations doesnt allow the person to use the Card details without CVV details only organizations esp. Hotels are allowed to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
My thoughts too. Do check with the bank. It is impossible to complete any transaction without swiping the card/ the CVV code.
Murthy
Well thats not exactly true, Hotels have a special privilage to transact the credit car details even without the CVV number.

For e.g. I have made booking in Taj over call, they ask for my credit card details (mind you not the CVV number) this will be sought as a they will charge me minimum using my Card number in case I cancel the reservations.

So I am assuming there is some details that is lost in translation here.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 20:01   #15
BANNED

1) Wait for your monthly bill.

2) See the transaction particulars

3) Give a complaint to your bank

4) Give a police complaint

5) Pay your other outstanding apart from the disputed amount.

6) Let your CC bank know of your genuinity and let them do the investigation.

7) Dont pay the disputed amount.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote