Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th December 2010, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Default importing engine into india

hi all
i have a old fiat polaski car. need an engine as the present one is in very bad shape. i have found one in london for about 200 pounds. seller is willing to pack it in wooden box and ship it to nhava sheva. i have made arrange ments for payments to him.
can i import this engine for fitting into my car?
similarly, i have a Honda Cb 750 4 motorcycle. i have found one honda of same model in UK. can i import that one to strip and use the spares on to my honda?
what are the procedures to such things?
when i asked one shipping agents in mumbai, he said importing of engine is not allowed by customs.
how are the race guys doing then?
any info on this will help me a lot
thanks in advance
nutmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 18:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: importing engine into india

Go to google, find a few customs clearing agents, call them up and describe the situation. Choose one who sounds genuine and does it for cheap. A few palms will have to be greased.

For the motorcycle engine, easier to strip the engine there and just ship the parts. Easier to get engine internals through customs than a whole engine. I've been doing the same for the last year with various components.

Last edited by pranavt : 20th December 2010 at 18:40.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 21:12   #3
BHPian

Post Re: importing engine into india

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
i have a old fiat polaski car. need an engine as the present one is in very bad shape. i have found one in london for about 200 pounds. seller is willing to pack it in wooden box and ship it to nhava sheva. i have made arrange ments for payments to him. can i import this engine for fitting into my car? when i asked one shipping agents in mumbai, he said importing of engine is not allowed by customs.
Found myself in a similar quandry a few months back - be prepared to face a whole lot of trouble with Customs if you're bringing in a completely assembled engine. As Pranav has mentioned, its much easier to bring in engine parts than an entire engine. Best option is to ask your engine guy to disassemble the engine & ship it to you in 3 or 4 shipments. If you're ever advised to try to bring the engine in as scrap-metal, please do not consider it !
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 18:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Would strongly suggest you not to get the engine in one piece, breaking it down and getting in the spares one by one makes a better deal. Yes this means you will have to make frequent visits to the Customs Office but end of the day you will not regret it mate.

You were speaking of a 754 CB Honda, is it a 73-74 model with a 4 --> 1 Exhaust? Bottle green in color?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 16:19   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's two related threads for those who want to delve deeper:

Importing used engines / spares (Importing used engines/Spare Parts?)

Engine graveyard in Kolkatta (Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote