Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th January 2011, 19:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default AP registered bike in Coimbatore!!

Hi Coimbatore bhpians,
I am posted in Coimbatore for few months for training. I would like to bring in my HH karizma or Suzuki Zeus for commuting. Will there be trouble with the Coimbatore cops. I have seen the traffic cops flagging lot of two wheelers here on the Avinashi Road. My office is on the Avinashi Road.

Alternatively is it a better option to buy a bike and sell it off so that I avoid the trouble with cops (if it exists)?? But i am not sure on finding a trouble free bike !! :(. My colleagues suggested yamaha RX135 as it is easy to sell!! Any other bikes can I consider?? How about a Suzuki Samurai??
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 20:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: AP registered bike in Coimbatore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hi Coimbatore bhpians,
I am posted in Coimbatore for few months for training. I would like to bring in my HH karizma or Suzuki Zeus for commuting. Will there be trouble with the Coimbatore cops. I have seen the traffic cops flagging lot of two wheelers here on the Avinashi Road. My office is on the Avinashi Road.

Alternatively is it a better option to buy a bike and sell it off so that I avoid the trouble with cops (if it exists)?? But i am not sure on finding a trouble free bike !! :(. My colleagues suggested yamaha RX135 as it is easy to sell!! Any other bikes can I consider?? How about a Suzuki Samurai??
LOL. I live in Avinashi road, commute daily on the same. I drive a bike registered in an UT. Just wear your helmet, stick to the speed limits and the cops wont bother you.

Even if they do, you can always say that you have a 11 month time period for which you can drive with just an NOC.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 21:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

As DRIV3R said if you have an NOC, then you can drive for a few months. I remember it as 6 months. DRIV3R above says 11 months. An auto consultant in Chennai told me the time period does not matter only that you have to pay the tax amount from the time of the NOC (Am not convinced about this). But ensure that you have an NOC - after all it is only for a few months
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 19:45   #4
BHPian

An NOC is valid for only 3 months.

The options you have , other then dodging the police every day.

Get the NOC ride for 3 months , get a renewal for the NOC.

Pay road tax in Coimbatore, every state have their own percentage. Some of the states do have a one year road tax , see if Coim has this.

You can get the bike registered in Coim too , get the bike De-registered at the end of your tenure and get your money back.
You will need a competent agent to get you though this ordeal.
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 15:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Update

Update:

I brought my bike - HH Karizma to Coimbatore in the train as luggage. It was simple till it reached Coimbatore. It was not an easy thing to bring it from Coimbatore Railways station to home as I was loaded with luggage and being alone i could not leave the luggage at the station. I could have left the station with the luggage and come back later to collect the bike but I wanted to make sure that the bike was alighted safely from the train and to the delivery section.

Luckily, for me I had a fellow X-bhpian who volunteered to help me. He ensured the bike was stored securely while I was waiting on the platform with my luggage. Later took a taxi went and dropped my luggage and went to the station in city bus (travel in city buses is very cheap in TN). Also took petrol worth 30/- along in a bottle.

Indian Railways charged 970/- for transporting the bike from Hyderabad to Coimbatore. Plus another 100/- for tips at Coimbatore Railway Station. The folks at Hyderabad refuse take any tips.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 13:24   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
..............The folks at Hyderabad refuse take any tips.
That must have been a surprise.

Hyderabad has people from different extremes. I was once asked for a tip after buying a tubelight from an electrical shop, by the boy who was sent by the guy behind the counter to get it from the back of the shop.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 13:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Hyderabad has people from different extremes. I was once asked for a tip after buying a tubelight from an electrical shop, by the boy who was sent by the guy behind the counter to get it from the back of the shop.
That would have been Chai-Pani
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote