Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd November 2008, 01:09   #61

Wink High Beam

I also have this problem of people using the high beam. The ones coming from the opposite direction are a nuisance as it is.. but then the ones that come from behind you .. that reflects from all your mirrors and blinds you like that... Is there something I can put on my rear windsheild that is transparent so I can see through it from inside the car, but when someone hits a strong light on it it reflects back as much from the outside?
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:56   #62
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default Day and Night mirror

For one thing, that is what day-and-night mirrors are for.

The simplest ones have a little lever that substitutes the mirror for a plane glass.

Some cars have modern automatic day-and-night mirrors. These have an optical medium (like an LCD) which is electrically driven between transmissive and opaque states.

How does it work?
A pair of photodetector sensors sense incident light from the field of view and car interior respectively. These sensors are connected to a logic gate with delay which controls an LCD optical transmission plate.

The transmission plate goes opaque when a nighttime ambient is detected and if bright lights are in the field of view, incident upon the mirrored reflector.

Thus reflectivity is varied between the standard and night driving states.

Name:  automaticdayandnightmirror.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  52.3 KB
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 16:45   #63
BHPian

ram's explanation gives me a idea, put some mirrors in front of the vehicle so that the morons who drive on high beam thinking theirs are the the only cars with headlights on planet earth can get a taste of their own cooking, on a lighter note of course

i personally have procured a pair of anti glare amber glasses to get rid of the nuisance of oncoming high beam, provides good visibility if they are of good quality and one can stay calm and enjoy the drive, of course i do not drive at high speeds wearing those, just be comfortable.

regarding seat belts and for that matter helmets, i can not understand why some people consider them as a way of evading the cops and fines, what about their own safety should something god forbid decides to happen?

anyway, that is a personal choice, if one wants to get seriously injured during an accident, so be it.. but driving on high beam and causing discomfort and jeopardizing the safety of others is a crime, must be punished severely i'd wish.
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 12:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

As a race we Indians don't really know where to stop. If you have 60/55 I want 100/90 and my friend will want 135/100 .... the race carries on. Same with noise level also. If your horn makes x amount of noise, mine must make 2x.
Policing can change this attitude but then we will need a serious crackdown with a huge manpower base and a zero tolerance approach. Since no such thing has happened so far, it's very doubtful that things will improve in the near future.
Meanwhile a few more lives will have to be lost to high beam light.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 15:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

driving with high beams on inside city limits is certainly an offence. More importantly it is a breach of driver's etiquette.
Even using high beams on busy highways is a breach of etiquette.
Of course on especially badly lit dark stretches or in the hills at night, one can use high beam but under any circumstances if there is on-coming traffic, one MUST switch down to low beam.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 14:31   #66

Ever been in front of a vehicle that runs on high beams? YOu are momentarily blinded. this can cause serious accidents. In many instances, the causes for accidents were temporary blindness caused by the high bean from an oncoming vehicle.
newinthomas73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 15:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

I never get it - what real benefit does driving on high beam give?

You aint driving at >100 km/h that you need see very further ahead.

Even on zero illumination inside city roads - you DON'T require high-beam.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote