Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 11:51   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
BIGGER FLOP in the team - HARBHAJAN SINGH. Apparently supposed to be India's striking spinner, he is having a free run in the team without doing anything substantial
Even if Harbhajan is not picking wickets atleast he is not giving away runs like Chawla. Another thing of having him in the team is for the reason he is one of the best spinner in India and this is to vindicate the oppostion.

Quote:
Get Ashwin in place of Harbhajan immediately
Definetely agree on that. Atleast give him one match to see if he has the potential to perform or lest he would end being Srikanth's protegee for long.

Quote:
And did anyone notice the way Yuvraj was panting after taking 2 runs
Not just Yuvi, even Zaheer Khan, Raina, Gambhir all look totally out of shape. I guess Seniority has its own advantages.

Quote:
I wonder what's going to happen to this team against SA and even the WI !
Yeah, to think about it, if India makes it to Q-finals, then what will happen.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 12:16   #152
BHPian
 
lloydofcochin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 436
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

nc,

I'm in 100% agreement with you in regards to Yuvraj & Harbhajan.

Both of them are highly overrated players and are clinging on to their positions in the team with some mediocre performances.

Yuvraj is really selfish and I really doubt his commitment to the team. It was for everyone to see the way he ran out Kohli yesterday. I was in the stadium and the crowd was totally pissed with the way he ran back to his end leaving Kohli high & dry

Less said about Harbhajan the better

It is high time that they are dropped from the team. They should only be taken back with a changed attitude and with some real fire in the belly.
lloydofcochin is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 12:29   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Even if Harbhajan is not picking wickets atleast he is not giving away runs like Chawla. Another thing of having him in the team is for the reason he is one of the best spinner in India and this is to vindicate the oppostion.


Not just Yuvi, even Zaheer Khan, Raina, Gambhir all look totally out of shape. I guess Seniority has its own advantages.
How do you say that he is still the best spinner in India, if he does not take any wickets? I agree he's done well in the past, but now, it is time to give him some rest and try out others.

Even Dhoni is openly acknowledging that they can't improve in the fielding dept when they have slow fielders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
nc,

I'm in 100% agreement with you in regards to Yuvraj & Harbhajan.

Both of them are highly overrated players and are clinging on to their positions in the team with some mediocre performances.

Yuvraj is really selfish and I really doubt his commitment to the team. It was for everyone to see the way he ran out Kohli yesterday. I was in the stadium and the crowd was totally pissed with the way he ran back to his end leaving Kohli high & dry
, even in the England match, he did not show any sort of urgency in converting singles into twos.
addyhemmige is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 13:16   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

The UDRS is slowly becoming a big joke with the referrals being turned down every time except for one case in the India-Ireland match when the umpire had to overrule his earlier decision. I guess this was coz Dhoni had raised the 2.5 mtr rule issue which now seems to be scrapped altogether.

Any thoughts on this controversial system?
ghodlur is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 13:20   #155
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any thoughts on this controversial system?

I think they should at least be consistent with the system. The 2.5 meter rule is in place because beyond that, hawk eye's accuracy goes down, and the umpire should stick with his decision. Also, they should incorporate hotspot system into it as well.

By the way, Pietersen ruled out of rest of the World Cup, as well as IPL.
World Cup 2011: Kevin Pietersen out of World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
amitoj is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 13:34   #156
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

The likes of Piyush, Munaf and Harbhajan are struggling to get wickets in bowler friendly pitches, no wonder we need pie-chucker to get wickets now. If this match was against a stronger batting team, we might have lost the match.

I think Ashwin is being held back for some important matches ahead. Now that Piyush has failed to utilize his chances, we might have seen the last of him. Also Munaf needs to make way for Nehra, not that he is any better, but important for him to be match fit as well.

On another note, just look at how Anderson and Broad bowled in a pitch which was turning square. In our team only Zaheer can do something like that. Rest of them just run and throw the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think they should at least be consistent with the system. The 2.5 meter rule is in place because beyond that, hawk eye's accuracy goes down, and the umpire should stick with his decision. Also, they should incorporate hotspot system into it as well.
I agree that umpires should stick to their decisions. But the problem is that all the replays are shown to live audience as well, which makes umpires' job difficult. Overall UDRS is a good system, but the way it is implemented now can be improved. Particularly, without snicko and hotspot, it's pointless to ask for a review of thin edges and close bat/pad LBW shouts.

Quote:
By the way, Pietersen ruled out of rest of the World Cup, as well as IPL.
World Cup 2011: Kevin Pietersen out of World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
That is a big blow for England, he was doing quite well at the top. Also he did his part in yesterday's match with his bowling.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 7th March 2011 at 13:41.
SilentEngine is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 16:57   #157
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

We have lots of body baggage that we can take in crucial matches. Chawla, the 'Specialist' spinner bowls noball! Even minows do not show any respects to him, yet you here idiots like Gavaskar non-stop prising him! Yesterday yuvraj not only got Kohli out, but even went head scold him back that it was kohli's mistake! He has guts to tell Pathan not to score because he wants his 50. Clueless Munaf can't support Zaheer, his only replacement is drama queen freeshant! Why one earth we are holding Ashwin & Raina, I don't understand.

Doni is also playing which suits him better. Against england he came early, but yesterday he sent Kohli? Pathan is always better player of spin, yet these guys eat up all spinner's over by scoring less than run a ball yet can not send Pathan ahead!
RaguHolla is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 18:19   #158
BHPian
 
markmytravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think they should at least be consistent with the system. The 2.5 meter rule is in place because beyond that, hawk eye's accuracy goes down, and the umpire should stick with his decision. Also, they should incorporate hotspot system into it as well.

By the way, Pietersen ruled out of rest of the World Cup, as well as IPL.
World Cup 2011: Kevin Pietersen out of World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
It's a very good system with pathetic and more or egoist implementation from ICC. Here are some instances:
  1. If less than half the ball is hitting the leg or off stump, it becomes an onfield call. So if umpire has given out it becomes an out and if he has given not out it becomes a not out. What's the logic behind using technology then? Why not always give the benefit of doubt to the Batsman as has always been the case.
  2. 2.5 mtr call: Disgraceful to see the rules being bent under pressure from India/BCCI during a tournament.
  3. At one instance Canada was asked not to loop at dressing room before asking for review. Now how in world are the umpires going to judge if the batsman or 11 fielders have not looked at the dressing room. Why have a rule which cannot be technically applied ... but that's ICC.
  4. Making it mandatory for the first time in a tournament which is most critical. Seems like WC is a testing platform for UDRS; atleast it has been used this way till now.
How do you really expect anything logical out of them ?
markmytravel is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 18:27   #159
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,912
Thanked: 1,812 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

I agree with some of the above comments, sometimes i feel this whole Indian Team is highly over-rated! Harbhajan is more of a restrictive bowler nowadays. Ashwin should definitely be given a game against Netherlands, and God knows what is the case with Nehra?? Indian Team needs a lot of luck to win this Cup with our present combination & also its all about clicking at the right time!
PPS is offline  
Old 7th March 2011, 19:38   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Red face Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
We have lots of body baggage that we can take in crucial matches. Chawla, the 'Specialist' spinner bowls noball! Even minows do not show any respects to him, yet you here idiots like Gavaskar non-stop prising him! Yesterday yuvraj not only got Kohli out, but even went head scold him back that it was kohli's mistake! He has guts to tell Pathan not to score because he wants his 50. Clueless Munaf can't support Zaheer, his only replacement is drama queen freeshant! Why one earth we are holding Ashwin & Raina, I don't understand.

Doni is also playing which suits him better. Against england he came early, but yesterday he sent Kohli? Pathan is always better player of spin, yet these guys eat up all spinner's over by scoring less than run a ball yet can not send Pathan ahead!
Well said Raguholla. Clearly shows the state of Indian apathy. I really dont understand why does Zaheer Khan do that staring act when hit for a boundary. He does not realize that he has bowled a bad bowl. Such ego.

Its not just Gavaskar who praises Chawla but the whole bunch of so called commentators. And one thing I observed whenever Ravi Shastri praises Indian Batting or bowling some gets out or the bowler gets smacked in that over.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 8th March 2011, 06:59   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

The UDRS is getting more and more complicated
World Cup 2011: ICC issues revised guidelines for 2.5m rule | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Now they have brought another factor into consideration: the distance between pitching and point of impact.

I hope all these rules and guidelines don't slow the game down.
amitoj is offline  
Old 8th March 2011, 10:15   #162
BHPian
 
Reisender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, USA ; Chennai India
Posts: 145
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think they should at least be consistent with the system. The 2.5 meter rule is in place because beyond that, hawk eye's accuracy goes down, and the umpire should stick with his decision. Also, they should incorporate hotspot system into it as well.

By the way, Pietersen ruled out of rest of the World Cup, as well as IPL.
World Cup 2011: Kevin Pietersen out of World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
What i read (dont remember the source) is that the Hotspot technology belongs to Military of that country (R&D dept, again don't remember the country)
They don't give clearance to have the hotspot gizmo to outside of the country (read Asia) for such a long period (world cup). That's the reason why didn't get this in the world cup.
But it would have made a difference for sure in UDRS....

Regards,
R
Reisender is offline  
Old 8th March 2011, 10:29   #163
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
What i read (dont remember the source) is that the Hotspot technology belongs to Military of that country (R&D dept, again don't remember the country)
They don't give clearance to have the hotspot gizmo to outside of the country (read Asia) for such a long period (world cup). That's the reason why didn't get this in the world cup.
But it would have made a difference for sure in UDRS....

Regards,
R
I thought Hotspot costed $2m per match, and ICC wanted hosting nation to foot the bill, and as we all expect greedy BCCI said it either broadcaster or ICC should foot the bill! Which is the reason the technology won't be used (at least wherever BCCI involved).

On the other hand, I for one prefer not to use any technology. Like in football, if umpires are wrong, they are wrong. Accept and move on... There is no point introducing a rule which umpires can interpret differently. Why make a rule, change it in middle of the competition to please one team?
RaguHolla is offline  
Old 8th March 2011, 17:27   #164
BHPian
 
vamsi.kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 129
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

With regards to comments that yuvraj was selfish to get his 50 in Ireland's match I disagree as we don't know if he really did. And it is quite normal for the other batsmen to give a chance for the batsmen who is nearing his 50 or 100 with less runs required and when the team is in comfortable position. I don't see any selfishness in that. With India requiring only 6 runs and still 5 overs left yuvraj needn't ask, pathan would have himself done that.

As for replacing harbhajan with ashwin, I would disagree. I am not a fan of Harbhajan and I truly believe he is overrated. But the fact is in the current team he is the most experienced spinner who can contain the batsmen. Experience does count in tight situations.(I am not sure but it was in IPL or Champions league where the match went to super over and Ashwin was asked to defend 18 runs, which he couldn't not because of lack of quality but only experience. Though it is t20, there can be situations like that in ODI also and some times experience does come into play when the opposing batsmen are on carnage). Yes piyush chawla can be replaced with ashwin as he is neither taking wickets nor stopping runs. Actually , I thought the selection of piyush itself was an error given the fact that pragyan ojha was performing better.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 8th March 2011 at 17:35.
vamsi.kona is offline  
Old 8th March 2011, 18:24   #165
Senior - BHPian
 
HammerHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Goan in Pune
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Explosive inning by Ross Taylor!! It will be a easy win for NZ if they get Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq early today.
HammerHead is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cricket: The World Cup 2015 Thread - It's Australia yet again ! Eddy Shifting gears 603 31st March 2015 10:39
One of India's Greatest Achievements in Sports! (1983 - Cricket World Cup) SumitB Shifting gears 6 3rd April 2011 10:42
Contest: World Cup Cricket 2007 Minardi Shifting gears 20 30th April 2007 13:53
Cricket World Cup Meets normally_crazy The Team-BHP Meet Section 3 13th March 2007 16:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks