Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2011, 23:49   #196
BHPian

Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

This is second time in this WC, sachin scores a 100 and still not in winning side. I dunno how more he should give to this side :(

RSA are the only side picked up all 10 wickets in all the matches they've played in this WC.

Really cant think of the logic behing sending Pathan in Powerplay.
He is one of the clean hitters of the ball that it doesnt matter if its a powerplay or not. We could have saved him for last and Dhoni could be there in 2 down, scoring sensible singles and make Gambhir to take risks. Very bad move. (I guess this is 2nd or 3rd time pathan is sent in Powerplay but quite not live upto his reputation.)

If you are 296 on a batting pitch where average first innings score is 316, your chance are not good. Against one of the better sides in tournament, its very well limited. So dint have high hopes till Duminy got out.

Gotta give it to Zaheer & Bhajji. Bhajji really bowled well from his 6th over.
Excellent 49th over by Zaheer followed by miserable last by Nehra.

I'm very disappointed.

Still we could finish top or 2nd in our group, play NZ or Pak in QF but one bad day in office like today, we will be out in a flash.
Old 12th March 2011, 23:52   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
This match was the prime example of the fact that only Sachin can't win us the WC. Everyone in the team has to chip-in if we have to advance through the semis.
As much as I agree with you on this one and as one who has always believed in that, what i saw today was the great dhoni imposing himself on the situation that sachin and gambhir had great control of. If the powerplay had not been called for at that stage, both gambhir and sachin would have got us past 330 and maybe pathan, yuvi, dhoni could have got it beyond 360. You will see that the PP will never be taken again at the 34th over when sachin is there at the crease.
Old 12th March 2011, 23:58   #198
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
IMO, the best bowling team will win this World Cup. And at the moment, that would be SA. They are the only team to have taken all 10 wickets in all the matches that they've played.
+1
Completely agree with you. We are bit too dependent on our batting but then there are days like today where we can't even play out the full 50 overs. Dhoni rightly criticized the batsman for going for the big shots in the post match presentation. Maybe they were trying to impress Deepika & Bipasha in the crowd.
I'm still not convinced about Munaf's death bowling as he bowls length balls too often. After a good second last over by Zaheer i thoght it was a mere formality to hand over the ball to Harbhajan in the last over, but our captain sprung a surprise! What's the use of all that experience when Nehra can't pitch the ball at the right place, he deserves this
India doesn't seem to win any games whenever Sachin scores a hundred, there was a similar trend some years back as well if i remember correctly.
At the end of the day i feel we needed a defeat to bring us back down to earth.
Old 13th March 2011, 00:10   #199
BANNED

Harbhajan in the last over would have given a different twist.

I dont understand DHONI's persistence with Nehra.......

We lost the match in the last over and thats the BOTTOMLINE.....
Old 13th March 2011, 00:59   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
+1
India doesn't seem to win any games whenever Sachin scores a hundred, there was a similar trend some years back as well if i remember correctly.
At the end of the day i feel we needed a defeat to bring us back down to earth.
That's an urban legend. Mostly popularized by people who just see the scorecard at end of the day and ignore how the scorecard was arrived at in the first place. Stats tell a different story.

I agree with the last point though. In fact i would go to the extent of saying that it's better if we lose to WI as well. That could wake up a few people in the team finally including Mr Dhoni himself.
I also think Dhoni as a captain is living on his reputation now. Also the fact that he supports some players and not others doesn't augur well for the future.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 13th March 2011 at 01:00.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:05   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
+1
Completely agree with you...

...At the end of the day i feel we needed a defeat to bring us back down to earth.
We cannot score 300+ and hope to win every time. Almost every team has the ability to chase down or set daunting totals. We need to up the ante if we want to kindle any hopes of reaching the semi-finals, let alone lift the Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Harbhajan in the last over would have given a different twist.

I dont understand DHONI's persistence with Nehra.......

We lost the match in the last over and thats the BOTTOMLINE.....
Indeed, Harbhajan would have forced a different result.

But I'd like to believe that the match was lost the moment Dhoni took the batting-power-play and sent Pathan in to bat early. Pathan is a finisher. He is a clean hitter of the ball. It does not matter where you put your fielders when Pathan bats. Have you seen the man play his shots? There are always more sixes than boundaries in his score-card. So power-play or not, Pathan will go about his business.

The batting-power-play is perfect for those like Gambhir and Sachin who know how to drive and cut the ball through the fielders and pick the gaps. Once the gap has been picked and the shot has been executed, it will stay hit.

Teams make the mistake of going all out during a power-play, as if every ball is a free hit. I just don't get it.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:31   #202
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Much can be said about the choice of the last over, but i feel that a batting side that collapses like we did, 9 wickets in 29 runs or so, has lost the momentum big time already. Clearly we were 350+ with the kind of start we got. We cannot hope to win big matches with these 2 glaring issues, one that our batting frequently just gives way and second that our bowling needs high quality finishers.
I feel that munaf gave away too many just like he messed up against england where a no 10 batsman hit him for a clean six. Except for Zaheer, we are short of any bowler who can close on the oppposition the way the likes of McGrath, Brett Lee, Vaas, Akram etc could. Surely the last over was a killer blow, but i think that we should not have reached that stage at all
Old 13th March 2011, 01:40   #203
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why but the match so seemed fixed... I hope it was just a plain and simple loss. I had pretty much stopped following cricket after the match fixing scandals hit the Indian team the last time, just starting following it again..
Old 13th March 2011, 08:52   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
This match was the prime example of the fact that only Sachin can't win us the WC. Everyone in the team has to chip-in if we have to advance through the semis.
You missed the point in the post you replied to. Let me elaborate, only Sachin plays for his country the rest of the team is still trying to make a choice.

And yes only Sachin can win us the WC, he and a few more are the only one's looking focused.

Like Gavaskar said - glamorous shots did us in. There was not one in Sachin's inning.
Old 13th March 2011, 09:26   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You missed the point in the post you replied to. Let me elaborate, only Sachin plays for his country the rest of the team is still trying to make a choice.
That's exactly my point too.

Quote:
And yes only Sachin can win us the WC, he and a few more are the only one's looking focused.
You are simply rephrasing what I said. We can't win the WC just with focused Sachin but we need focused 11. We need to bat 50 overs and need to take 10 wickets. Sachin alone can't do that. If that was the case, we would have won at least a couple of WCs by now.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:55   #206
MCR
BHPian

Dhoni is a fixer. I guess the way he pretends to be cool / calm gives it away. Playing Nehra in place of Ashwin was the first give-away. Giving him the last over in place of Harbhajan was the second one. So its only one's guess as to what amount of money has changed hands.

Sachin is the only person playing for the country. I really pity him. Every time he scores a century, the other nincompoop's give away.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:06   #207
BHPian

nehra and munaf are the biggest disgrace in Team India. with their bad body language, drooped shoulders, dragging their feet and shirts out tucked what a terrible losers these two morons. They act as if someone pushed them into the field forcibly and they are doing just a favor in fielding.

Did you guys see Sachin's commitment when fielding. I don't mind player failing but they need to have the right attitude and gritty. why r these two even called pace bowlers bowling at 120Kmph when Kumble/Afridi can bowl at that speed in just 3 strides.

If we need to continue with these morons then they need a crash course in Indian Army commando training school Belgaum
Old 13th March 2011, 13:08   #208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
nehra and munaf are the biggest disgrace in Team India. with their bad body language, drooped shoulders, dragging their feet and shirts out tucked what a terrible losers these two morons. They act as if someone pushed them into the field forcibly and they are doing just a favor in fielding.

Did you guys see Sachin's commitment when fielding. I don't mind player failing but they need to have the right attitude and gritty. why r these two even called pace bowlers bowling at 120Kmph when Kumble/Afridi can bowl at that speed in just 3 strides.

If we need to continue with these morons then they need a crash course in Indian Army commando training school Belgaum
Rightly said about the Belgaum thingy

Its better to bowl Sreesanth add an extra Batsman Raina than get Munaf / Nehra in the team.

We have one good pace bowler in Zaheer, Sreesanth can be lethal at times. Quality spinner in Harbhajan. Makeshift effective spinners in Pathan, Yuvraj and Raina, maybe even Tendulkar can pitch in few overs.
Old 13th March 2011, 13:38   #209
Senior - BHPian

IMO India lost the match when the middle order failed to capitalize on such a brilliant show put up by Sachin, Sehwag & Gambhir. When everyone though they will put 375 on board they end up below 300

In this WC India is counting on its batting strength and its hard to believe that such a strong batting lineup fails to even bat for 50 overs! They did the same mistakes against England and now against SA.

I won't blame our bowlers as they were never capable of defending anything below 300, atleast on batting peaches, irrespective of opponent!

End of the day SA outplayed India and their win was well deserved

Last edited by HammerHead : 13th March 2011 at 13:43.
Old 13th March 2011, 13:39   #210
Senior - BHPian

Nehra and Munaf are no better than street players. We can find plenty of such bowlers. No variation, no attitude, no smartness, I wonder for what purpose these two players are in team.

This is not first time they let down the Indian team.
Closed Thread