Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2011, 14:13   #211
BHPian

Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Nehra and Munaf are no better than street players.
The way these buggers take guard and hold the bat, pathetic. Being international player, don't they know the basics of batting. All players in the playing 11 have to bat but that is not the case in bowling. So are they not supposed to take their batting seriously at least to the extent that when required to preserve their wicket they can do it in ease.

Take the case of some of the no 11 batsmen like Mcgrath, gillespie, Ishant, Donald, etc who were decent batsmen when it came to preserving their wicket.

Whereas these two lazybones take evasive step away from the line of the delivery as if it is going to crash at them. The way they drag themselves to the start of their bowling run up is another eye sore

They thoroughly lack the passion and attitude at this level. How I wish i was given the chance of training them with a whip in my hand.
Old 13th March 2011, 15:42   #212
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
nehra and munaf are the biggest disgrace in Team India. with their bad body language, drooped shoulders, dragging their feet and shirts out tucked what a terrible losers these two morons. They act as if someone pushed them into the field forcibly and they are doing just a favor in fielding.
+1
Nehra especially has enjoyed a lot of support from the captain as he keeps making comebacks frequently without even testing his fitness in domestic games ! I guess we will have to see more of these 2 in the coming games as we do not have any other medium pacer in the squad apart from Sreesanth whom our captain doesn't like. Even if 'Paul-the Octopus' was alive ,he would have found it difficult to predict as to when R Ashwin would get a game!

I don't think India will ever play 5 front-line bowlers in this tournament as our captain is not comfortable with that combination.
The 7 batsman theory reminds me of the 2003 World Cup where Ganguly picked Dinesh Mongia in every game & he hardly did anything at No.7 .
Its a case of History repeating itself!
Old 13th March 2011, 18:36   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I don't think India will ever play 5 front-line bowlers in this tournament as our captain is not comfortable with that combination.
!
Irfan Pathan if fit would have been a better choice. Yes he would have leaked runs say 60-70 in 10 overs so are Nehra/Munaf anyway. But a great fielder in deep (good throwing arm)and a dangerous batsman . But most importantly has the right attitude.
With Nehra/Munaf fielding in deep, it is always two runs even if the ball go straight to them(in a slightly bigger ground) and have the audacity to smile after the batsmen steal two.
As a captain where can Dhoni hide them in the field.

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 13th March 2011 at 18:50.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:37   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If the powerplay had not been called for at that stage, both Gambhir and Sachin would have got us past 330 and maybe pathan, yuvi, dhoni could have got it beyond 360.
That was the 1st mistake our 'great' & 'cool' captain made.That time they were already going 8-9per over with singles,twos and odd boundary.If he is so good as per media he should have taken it after the end of 15th over when Ravi pointed out.Viru was in there and it would have also surprised SA captain.Either he had to bring on Steyn/Morkel or spinners/Kallis making life easier for rest of the batsmen for in 1st case or esier for themselves in 2nd case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I also think Dhoni as a captain is living on his reputation now.
I never thought he was a better than Ganguly/Kumble/Azhar or even Sachin/Dravid.Most or our wins have come playing test matches and have come under every previous captain since Ganguly.So why only he gets so much attention in media?Also our one-day record is just abt decent as it was few yrs ago.We were no.2 one-day team even during Dravid's time.And in T-20 matches we have done very poorly since 1st T-20 WC win.May be we are confusing our test matches record with other formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But I'd like to believe that the match was lost the moment Dhoni took the batting-power-play and sent Pathan in to bat early. Pathan is a finisher. He is a clean hitter of the ball.

Teams make the mistake of going all out during a power-play, as if every ball is a free hit. I just don't get it.
Even he needs few dot b@lls/singles to get used to.If we analyze all his big innings,he always starts slowly and then start the fireworks he is known for.

Agree with 2nd para.Even against Eng we tried to do different what we were doing earlier and in 1st 15overs.Ironically though, both times it was Sachin who started the slide by playing the same across the line shot in both matches.BTW I'm not criticizing him,infact by that time he had more than what he was supposed to do.He is too good a batsman to need to score like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
The 7 batsman theory reminds me of the 2003 World Cup where Ganguly picked Dinesh Mongia in every game & he hardly did anything at No.7 .
Its a case of History repeating itself!
We Indians are known to have short memory and this is the perfect example of that.We were so good in that WC with batting and bowling(except twice against Aussies) that no7 was never really needed.The only batting collapase we had was against Eng where Mongia took India to respectable score of abt 240-250 and then this 'bugger' and 'Moron' Nehra destroyed Eng batting with 7 wickets.
In this WC also no.7 may not have any stat to show at the end of WC but he may be needed sometime in coming matches.In-fact he was almost needed against IL and NL.

BTW by playing on flat tracks we are not helping ourselves.Our fast bowlers are seam and swing bowlers and need some help from pitch.Same is the case with spinners as they are not getting spin friendly tracks.Except Bhajji we don't really have any other quality spinner and Zaheer is much more experienced than Munaf and Nehra.

Having said all this i still feel 297 was winning total on that pitch and we lost it due to poor decisions taken by our captain during crucial moments last one being asking Nehra to bowl last over when he was making come back from injury and was without match practice.I liked it when he gave the 49th over to Zaheer and thought he will give the final to Bhajji which he should have done considering left hander was on strike and 1st two b@lls would decide the match as it happened eventually.
I still feel that we have learnt some lesson from Eng/SA match and would not repeat same mistake again,at-least lets hope so.
Old 13th March 2011, 23:20   #215
BANNED

Looks like Irfan has lost the Godfather he had in Chappell and his fate is sealed for good, thats the way our team works many times.
Coming to the Match today- Kenya put up a great fight, bad miss for their guy not to make a century, should Aus not have been some good sport and allowed him, after they are winning the match? Typical Aussies- hard nuts
Aus is unbeaten for 33 WC games now, still a side to beat!
Old 14th March 2011, 00:29   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
only Sachin plays for his country the rest of the team is still trying to make a choice.

And yes only Sachin can win us the WC, he and a few more are the only one's looking focused.
Nice to hear that from you. And also see many normally sachin bashers turn around. This is one positive from this match, a major one at that. At last some folks have put down their doubts about sachin's hundreds. Hope it is not a short lived one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
That was the 1st mistake our 'great' & 'cool' captain made.That time they were already going 8-9per over with singles,twos and odd boundary.
I could see that sachin and gambhir avoided looking towards the dressing room at that stage, only dhoni sent in the sub with the instructions. Gambhir responded quite pathetically trying to make room for every delivery and play it on the off side.

Welcome back Doc, good to see your kid growing up too.
Old 14th March 2011, 00:40   #217
BANNED

There are articles doing rounds in news papers " DHONI SLAMS BATSMEN PLAYING FOR THE GALLERY"

I think Dhoni must understand, THIS GALLERY is the INDIAN Country, You are PLAYING For US,THE GALLERY, THE COUNTRY. Whats wrong with him guys

When Sachin plays, he Plays for the Country, No 2 ways about it. Just look at that guys commitment levels and form at his age. He's a living genius and a LEGEND.

I will be amazed and if either of Nehra,Munaf and Chawla still continue playing any further matches in the World cup.

I pray for some serious commitment by the team.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:19   #218
Senior - BHPian

Angry Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

I think it is the end for Yusuf Pathan too. Has been a major flop in the tournament so far both with the bat and bowl. Add to that his terrible fielding. I guess he should be out and Raina must find a place in the match against West Indies. A total of 63 runs for Yusuf in 5 matches, Out with him ASAP.

Its also time to rest harbhajan for one match and bring on Ashwin. Chawla must be kept as far as possible from playing.

I hope Dhoni and mgmt must have discussed in lenght about the last match Harakiri done by batsmen and found a solution to that. Or else its again time for the pack of cards to fall down in one go.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:40   #219
Senior - BHPian

This is a tight slap on Sachin's bashers who says Sachin's century can't win matches for India.

The 'myth' about Sachin ton and India losing | Cricket News | Cricbuzz.com

I guess any player would give an arm/leg to play and score like the way Sachin does.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:46   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
At last some folks have put down their doubts about sachin's hundreds. Hope it is not a short lived one.
Me a Sachin basher?? NO NO NO HEAVENS NO!!!!! what made you think that.

I have been following him since he was not even in the Indian cricket team.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:52   #221
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
This is a tight slap on Sachin's bashers who says Sachin's century can't win matches for India.

The 'myth' about Sachin ton and India losing | Cricket News | Cricbuzz.com

I guess any player would give an arm/leg to play and score like the way Sachin does.
Sachin is an inspiration for any cricketer but alas there is no one in the Indian cricket team who gets inspired from him. For them its "He's Sachin, he's great, I can never reach his status" thats it. Even at his age he;s the fastest runner between the wickets which none could match.

However having said that I particularly did not like the way Sachin got out in the last two matches and that too when India was cruising along quite well. Lollies given to fielders. Pls I am not a Sachin basher either.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:56   #222
BANNED

Strange that i see lines like- Sachin again scores a century in a losing cause etc etc.
Can one person shoulder the responsiblity of a win or loss in a game where 11 folks form a team?
If it was not for his century, our score would be a joke in that game. Top scorers in the cup so far has 2 indians- BOTH of which are openers, what about the rest of the gang?
No team has been the "Team to Beat" so far clearly
Old 14th March 2011, 11:59   #223
Senior - BHPian

The post loss frustration/anger now subsided..

Looking at it practically, I attribute it to the batting powerplay.
Once a wicket falls early in those 5 overs it puts the new batsmen under pressure to capitalise.
Resulting in India's collapse.

attempting to SLOG is what did us in.

WAY FORMARD - take it early and treat it like you do the 1st 10 overs of the innings.
Play normal cricketing shots.

I dont see this as a big deal.
We did screw up. But i'm glad it happened now and not at the knockout stage.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:02   #224
Senior - BHPian

Dhoni is a reactive captain. He also reacts only through words in press. I never saw him advising the batsmen when there was a procession on the other end.

I think Praveen Kumar and his street smartness is really missed. I heard Ashwin will be a surprise element in the knock out phase. Ghambir sometimes kills the momentum and still manages to take care of himself !
Old 14th March 2011, 12:37   #225
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I heard Ashwin will be a surprise element in the knock out phase. Ghambir sometimes kills the momentum and still manages to take care of himself !
Ashwin's exclusion itself is a big suprise element, we can come to know about his susprise when he's included in the final eleven.

The way Gambhir dropped the catch the other day looked like he didn't have any clue where the ball was supposed to go.

The Major flops of the Indian cricket team till date in the tournament - Yusuf Pathan, Seesanth, Nehra, Harbhajan, Dhoni.

Semi flops - Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Munaf Patel

Hits - Sehwag, Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan

No idea - Raina, Ashwin.

Did I miss any one else?
Closed Thread