Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 3rd April 2011, 15:26   #916
BHPian

Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Watch and scrutinize the video very carefully. Try and understand the body-language of both the players and the match referee. When the coin was flipped the first time, turn up the volume and you'll hear a faint 'tails' from Sangakkara. Dhoni heard it correctly and was ready to say that the Indian team would like to bat first.

The match-referee even gestured to Dhoni after the coin was tossed, indicating that he had won the toss. And that's when the confusion began. Dhoni and Sangakkara both knew that 'tails' was the call by the SL skipper.
Hey, I am no expert in these, but all I am asking is to enjoy the cup win by celebrating India's win rather than SriLanka's loss. Focus on India and let ourselves immerse in the joy rather than getting these small matters come in between the immense joy of winning the world cup.

It was a brilliant performance from India and its batsmen and they won the World cup by a superb batting performance. Nothing more and nothing less
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:52   #917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Hey, I am no expert in these, but all I am asking is to enjoy the cup win by celebrating India's win rather than SriLanka's loss. Focus on India and let ourselves immerse in the joy rather than getting these small matters come in between the immense joy of winning the world cup.

It was a brilliant performance from India and its batsmen and they won the World cup by a superb batting performance. Nothing more and nothing less
Absolutely!

The fact that we won despite the toss is really something. Looking at the past records, especially of those teams chasing under lights at the Wankhade, the players deserve more than a pat on their backs.

It was a good show by SL. They did everything they could, but you could sense that they were fatigued, especially Murali. But let's not take anything away from the Indian Team. They played magnificently. And I'm glad they won the Cup, not just for themselves, but for Sachin.
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:30   #918
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!

Even the Madam joined in to celebrate

Name:  Sonia.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  147.2 KB
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:53   #919
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Lol.
Because of our eternal Chokers i have to predict again
India V Sri Lanka finals - India wins
I can apply for the octopus pauls job
Had a great time on delhi streets last night. Unbelievable.
World champs!!!!!!

India v Sri Lanka, final: India's cup of joy overflows | Cricket Features | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

This shows how humble Sachin is after achieving the world cup too!
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:27   #920
BHPian

A very nice article ..

To Afridi, with Love | Maati.tv
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:35   #921
BHPian

Most State Govts have announced rewards for their WC players...Maharashtra nothing...yet!
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:16   #922
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Clearly the best team won. A team that had all tough games , beat the reigning champs after their captain almost relived the ghost of 2003, beat arch rivals pak, who had a most amazing run themselves and finally came back from a situation with their backs to the wall, really deserved the WC.
This team is what was not there in the past, i remember so many times that seeing their mainstay sachin and then sehwag depart, facing a big run chase, the middle order will try to blast their way and collapse.
This time, the young guns gambhir and kohli, kept a cool head, and the score board ticking and hardly took any chances! I feel THAT is what was the turning point and signals that the emergence of a new era, where we may not rely on a couple of shoulders only. The middle order which failed so many times in the matches so far, fired in the game against Aus,and the final peaking at the right time, which is what a champion team does.
The world cup will be remembered for a few great moments i feel
1. Eng chase 300+ and end up tying the game, a game that saw fortunes turn both sides all through the game
2. Ireland beat england, a knock from an unknown guy, turning him into an overnight star.
3. Pakistan- a team that has lost all its bowling stars and its direction a few months back, found a leader in Afridi who held them together and made it to the Semis.
4. The knock by Ross Taylor- a savage attack, against the most potent bowling force, 90+ runs in 5 overs and less.
5. Captains rise to the occasion- Pontings knock against india, comes good when it matters and silences his critics, only to lose out to a determined India, who ensure there will be a new champion
6. Yuvraj singh makes a comeback that is the envy of many, from being down and out a few months back to grab 4 MOM awards and win the man of the tournament. A new yuvraj emerges, who i feel has the maturity and temperament now to lead the team one day.
7. The little master- on his last WC, still we looked at him to give the team that stability and he did, highest scorer till date in the WC and amongst the leading run getters, yet again! His final moment of glory did come
8. A class innings in a final, yet again, jayawardene did all right and provided almost a death blow with his masterful 100, only to see an Indian side who feels today, they can win from any situation( something AUS team lived each match for years)
9. Another captain rises to the occasion and what an innings from Dhoni, the moment he came to crease one could see, he came with a mission. The final moment of the WC 2011, a six, that silenced his critics and those who doubted him. Not to forget a gutsy 97 from Gambhir , falling 3 short of writing his name into history books as a centurion in a WC final only because of a momentary lapse of reason
Finally the statements from the whole team- we made it for Sachin, for India
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:34   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Clearly the best team won. A team that had all tough games , beat the reigning champs
Not just the reigning champs, but we beat all the countries that ever won the world cup. WI, Aus, Pak, SL.

Duncan Fletcher's article here is very very revealing and almost a prophecy, read here.

Strong leadership, on and off the field, at heart of India's success | Duncan Fletcher | Sport | The Guardian

Reproduced here (from the guardian, UK)
Quote:
I first met Gary Kirsten when he was a student at the University of Cape Town. Even then he was a quiet and unassuming, but confident individual. I had just become the University cricket coach and Kirsten was struggling to get a game as the No9 batsman. One day I suggested that he should try opening because, while he was not that sound technically, he had a very strong character. I have seen lots of talented players who I knew were never going to make it, but when you have a man who is as strong mentally as Kirsten is, you cannot put a limit on how far they can go.
Now he is the coach of India. He was always energetic and enthusiastic, which is why I thought he would make a good coach, even if the India job was a hell of a one to take on when he had so little experience.
We went on to work together at Western Province for a long time, along with Eric Simons, who is now the India bowling coach. Another member of that UCT team, Paddy Upton, is the conditioning coach. He has a degree in psychology, so he works on the mental side as much as the physical one. It gives me a lot of pride that three players who I worked with so much have gone on to have such success as coaches. They are the unsung heroes behind a squad full of superstars, especially Kirsten.
That is just how he wants it. It is in some people's nature to want to be in headlines, but Kirsten has always been shy of the media. That was part of why he is so well suited to the job. For a long time India lacked a hard edge. Before Kirsten they appointed Greg Chappell to try and give it to them. Chappell was a good coach in the wrong job. His Australian approach did not fit with the culture of the team or of the country. He was abrasive and always spoke his mind. So he rubbed people up the wrong way. Kirsten is a tough man, but he is also the kind who is quick to put an arm around your shoulder. He talks quietly to people and tries to motivate them in a positive way. That is why he has built up such good relationships with the Indian players. You hear them talking about him as though he were a friend more than a coach, which is very telling.
Take Sachin Tendulkar. Chappell almost seemed to want to provoke Tendulkar into playing better, but a player like that does not need challenging. Like all great sportsmen, he drives himself. I know that Kirsten gets on very well with Tendulkar. They talk cricket a lot. Tendulkar is very forthcoming with his ideas, but does not try to dominate discussions. He will make a suggestion, but will support Kirsten whether he goes with it or not. That is a real mark of the man. I like the fact that Tendulkar tried the captaincy and decided it was not for him, but still contributes so much to the team on and off the field. He does it without too much ego. When he gives advice to MS Dhoni he is not demonstrative. He does not wave his arms around just to show the crowd that he is still making decisions, but just walks up and has a quiet word in the captain's ear.
As in all things, you need a little luck to be a good coach and Kirsten is fortunate to have such good lieutenants in the team. The same goes for Dhoni. I have studied Dhoni closely over the years, and these days I am impressed with every single aspect of what he does. Technically, he is not a very good cricketer, but mentally he looks as though he knows how to work with the ability he has got. Just like Kirsten. When he arrived in the team he seemed to be a showman, always playing strange and spectacular shots. But now he is one of those players who can really adjust his style to the situation. He is prepared to grit it out and to give the glory to other batsmen while he just plays the ball around and tries to occupy the crease. If anything he could do with showing a little more of that old flair.
As a captain he has the great gift of being proactive rather than reactive in his decision-making. You see that in his field settings and bowling changes. When decisions go wrong a proactive captain is always going to be more exposed than a reactive one, but Dhoni does not fear that. Look at the stick he took when he gave Ashish Nehra the final over instead of Harbhajan Singh in their defeat against South Africa. Afterwards, Dhoni explained his thinking, which was sound, and shrugged the criticism off.
He is also a model of good body language on the field. Watch him when a catch is dropped. He does not mutter to himself or stare at the grass. He holds his head high and puts his hands on hips, almost as though he did not notice it happen. The message he is sending the players is "OK, let's move on and get on with it."
Kirsten, Dhoni and Tendulkar. They are an excellent trio of leaders. If India win, they will owe an awful lot to all three.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 3rd April 2011 at 22:03. Reason: missed a couple of crucial words
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:46   #924
Senior - BHPian

Default The SIX Appeal

Name:  729_india_0404420x0.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  43.5 KB

The six appeal as was quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald

Incredible India triumphs
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:49   #925
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!

@ esteem_lover, That's a nice share. Kirsten and the support staff has been the unsung heroes behind this triumph and in the moment of glory the little master did pay glowing tributes to their roles

This article also shows that Duncan Fletcher is a great thinker of the game.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:11   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
This article also shows that Duncan Fletcher is a great thinker of the game.
And I wish, our next coach. He is intelligent and also understands our (Indian) needs, I hope BCCI ropes him in, if he is willing though.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:31   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
And I wish, our next coach. He is intelligent and also understands our (Indian) needs, I hope BCCI ropes him in, if he is willing though.
Let's hope so

It will be a very big decision for him to commit. It is not easy being the coach of India

I'm sure that Kirsten would have some bit of advice for BCCI. I guess Eric Simons looks a favorite for now.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:45   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
It is not easy being the coach of India
Even for an INDIAN coach.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:37   #929
Senior - BHPian

WOW!

Watched the match from toss to last winning sixer. Amazing!

Can't ask for anything better.

INDIA INDIA. We are the champions.

Keep going. Dominate the cricket till the laws of average holds.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 4th April 2011, 13:03   #930
BHPian

Afridi does a complete volta face and shows his true colors -

Article & video here: Indians not as large hearted as Pakistanis: Afridi
Closed Thread