Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th January 2011, 21:31   #1
BHPian

Default Fuel Adultration!! Death of Commissioner

The death of an district collector Sonawane for stopping fuel adultration has sent shockwaves and makes me gloomy about our civility. THis is not the first time someone has lost life for stopping a crime. Shame on our society. I feel depressed seeing the lawlessness on our roads, news of roadrages, lack of concern on road and society.
How often do you feel depressed for the all around lack of civility, lawlessness and apathy?
bullock-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 21:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Fuel Adultration!! Death of Commissioner

Yes, read the news on the morning of 26th Jan. It was irony that such an incidence happened on the eve of republic day. These days, you feel scared even to argue with an xyz person on the road, for only god knows, who will get angry when, and you will have to pay with your life! The situation is going from bad to worse day by day, and this is the reality nowadays It is an absolute shame, people are stooping to such low levels these days. You really feel helpless, that you can't do anything much about it.

I remember the dialog from the movie 'A Wednesday' - "Ham log bahot jaldi situation se 'used-to' ho jaate hain". After a few weeks, the criminals will be out on bail, and everyone will forget that there ever existed an additional commissioner who tried to stop adulteration and instead paid with his life. May the blessed man's soul rest in peace.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 22:56   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Fuel Adultration!! Death of Commissioner

may his soul rest in peace. and may that of his murderer(s) suffer the wrath of hell for eternity!!
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 23:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
I feel depressed seeing the lawlessness on our roads, news of roadrages, lack of concern on road and society.
How often do you feel depressed for the all around lack of civility, lawlessness and apathy?
Depression is only going to do more harm to law abiding citizen which is not desired. What is required is emphasis on value education and 'leading by example'.
Let us not value material over human values.
Let us boycott corrupt people in our society (they are all around us, even among our friends!)
Let us resist the temptation to accept unjust benefits and greasing the palm to get work done (seems tough?).
Let us not think of 'what is in it for me' while supporting honest men and a person genuinely needing help.
Let us be truthful as a matter of principle.
Enough said... I am dreaming..
ajay0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 23:38   #5
BHPian

I read about this in the newspaper yesterday. It is very sad indeed. There is no place for honest men in the country it seems. Either you get killed or you get transferred to some remote place where there is not even a dog in sight. It has happened so many times now.

The criminals will be out soon and the state government will probably announce a measly compensation for the deceased and people will forget about the matter in a while. Jai Hind !!
maverick145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 23:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is exactly why no one stands up against crimes. These villans, set these as examples, and inject fear upon common man's minds.

May this incident NOT ignite fear upon common man, and force him to ACCEPT corruption. Instead, educate young minds anti corruption for a better tomorrow.

May his soul rest in peace.

Last edited by dhanushs : 27th January 2011 at 23:59.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 23:45   #7
BHPian

@W.A.G.7 Completely agree with you i think we Indians are one of the most tolerant people in the world. Tolerant of loud neighbors, tolerant of eve teasers, of corruption and generally tolerant of crime. Eventually we get desensitized to all these things happening around us and evil doers get courage to go a step further every time we tolerate.

For a common man to take action he should have the backing of an effective judicial system. Sadly politicians campaign agenda is hindutva or regionalism, divide and rule strategy and people fall for it, their campaign points are never about updating laws and constitution and better ways of enforcing them. We are slowly but surely moving towards anarchy.

Last edited by motorhead666 : 27th January 2011 at 23:54. Reason: typo
motorhead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 23:50   #8
BHPian

The fellow must have been warned many times, but he wanted to be a hero and got what he wanted. One has to be practical in todays world, Ram raj kab ka khatam hua, its kaliyug now and one has to adjust accordingly.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 00:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
The fellow must have been warned many times, but he wanted to be a hero and got what he wanted. One has to be practical in todays world, Ram raj kab ka khatam hua, its kaliyug now and one has to adjust accordingly.
Its people like you and me who give this kind of statement and keep quiet,but when trouble knocks on our door we start cribbing and jumping around

P.S By the way disgusted by this statement "The fellow must have been warned many times, but he wanted to be a hero and got what he wanted."

Last edited by yogi1771 : 28th January 2011 at 00:04.
yogi1771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 00:11   #10
BHPian

@San Phrangmung - You mean to say that people should allow these criminals to do what ever they please and stay out of their way.This sort of mentality amongst the general public has allowed these kinds of mafias to grow throughout the country in different forms.

The person who was killed was not any normal citizen, he was a government official who is responsible to keep check on these kinds of wrong doings. So I don't see any logic in what you just said. He was utterly sincere to his job and I salute him for his courage and hope that his death doesn't have to be in vain.

@Mods - I think its better to shift this thread to "Shifting Gears" section.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 02:30   #11
BHPian

People do all sorts of stealing for a sole motive in life ====> TO LIVE. So only the one single thing which can desist them from such 'actions' of burning a person alive, is the fear for life.

I pity the Indian Judiciary for its delay in handling verdicts and other loopholes in the law (Add to it, corruption in all sections and the big Mafia itself).

Only, only solution is to hang the murders through fast track judgement creating a shock wave back at the Mafia side. They shocked the nation by the burning, lets shock them.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 03:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
^^ +1 I concur.
When the PM of the country is not willing to reveal names in the Swiss bank/Black money case how dare an ordinary, dime a dozen DC dare stand up and make himself count.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 04:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is horrible. Tragedy and our country goes hand in hand. Honest get screwed corrupt get away and citizens have a shorter memory than Aamir in ghajini.

Watch the debate on IBN live to understand how the ministry functions. Adulteration is very rampant in the petoleum industry but no solution to it is being made.

Some comments criticize the guy but i believe he should not have pushed too far. It was not worth his life doing the same. What is the point of dying when you know the corrupt will get away? Expose them in other means and also protect yourself.

Just think of the guys family now? Lost their primary breadwinner.

Reading news papers now a days is so disgusting. Hope some revolution comes and crushes all this soon! Just hope i can live to watch it happen.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 06:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Reading news papers now a days is so disgusting. Hope some revolution comes and crushes all this soon! Just hope i can live to watch it happen.
Sorry to dash your dreams, but this isn't going to come anytime soon. Remember, we are still living in a country where a terrorist is acting in movies and driving F430's. We are living in a country where the prime minister cannot be questioned because he is a person of 'high integrity'. We are living in a country where politicians have riots just for their enjoyment. If this continues for a few years, nobody can give us justice other than the LET. What will happen to Sonawane's killers? Nothing, maybe a jail term where they will be released on bail. Or maybe some punishment given just for the sake of it. They have political backing of ministers who have their pockets filled due to such illegal mafias. Maybe the killers will get punishment, but what about the ministers? They won't be exposed ever, they will just find new people for continuing this mafia.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 08:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Fuel Adultration!! Death of Commissioner

Gory news on Republic day. Sonawane has died a martyr death. One thing he did good even when he was being burnt was catch hold of the goon who burnt him & in the process burning hime too. I only pray that Sonawane's soul rest in peace. He had the guts to take on Oil Mafia and thats what will remain etched on people's mind.

I remember another incident when an Indian Oil Engineer was hacked to death in Bihar I guess. There was a huge uproar on the death of the whistle blower, but I guess that has died long time back.

Everyday we hear that the RTI activists are being targetted and attacked by the anti social elements. Thats the condition the country has come to. Attack/kill those who question. Would this stop? I dont think so. One honest guy goes down, many more will rise.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote