Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd February 2011, 22:23   #1

Default Irresponsible Tata Indica Vista 90bhp Radio Advert

I was driving home from Bandra today listening to the radio, and couldn't help but think that the new Tata Indica Vista 90bhp radio advert portraying 'everyday as race day' was somewhat irresponsible.

I know Team-BHP is a forum that is full of like minded people like me that love fast cars and fast driving (under proper, safe off road conditions)... so for a huge company like Tata to be promoting overtaking SUV's and motorbikes at speed on our roads in the new Tata Indica is quite ridiculous in my view.

I know that this forum advocates safe driving and is totally against street racing, so I just wanted to gain peoples opinions on this advert. Is it just me that finds it promoting unsafe driving?

On a side note... in my opinion the old Tata Indicas that are usually driven by call center drivers here in Bombay are among some of the worst offenders for rash driving anyway. Maybe they are just reaching out to this target audience? Either way, I feel the advertising standards should have picked up on this somewhat... Maybe it's just me though.

Your thoughts?
tarunhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Irresponsible Tata Indica Vista 90bhp Radio Advert

Well, you should also consider the Swift adverts as of the same category then. IMHO, they are just trying to lure the youngsters from getting Swift/Ritz.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:04   #3
BHPian

any car that has 90 hp should not be portrayed as a "race car", even in ads.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunhari View Post
I was driving home from Bandra today listening to the radio, and couldn't help but think that the new Tata Indica Vista 90bhp radio advert portraying 'everyday as race day' was somewhat irresponsible.

On a side note... in my opinion the old Tata Indicas that are usually driven by call center drivers here in Bombay are among some of the worst offenders for rash driving anyway. Maybe they are just reaching out to this target audience? Either way, I feel the advertising standards should have picked up on this somewhat... Maybe it's just me though.
I have not heard the Ad so no comments on it.

But branding any car for rash driving is not a good idea, as its the moron behind the wheel who is driving it rashly. Give them a mercedes or a nano they still drive the same.
bhagathgowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Irresponsible Tata Indica Vista 90bhp Radio Advert

All car manufacturers use the same tactic, SX4, chevy etc... and not to forget almost all the bike ads, especially the thoofan ad. Its just a selling tactic!
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:51   #6
BHPian

I don't understand why take these things so seriously. Yes, most of us, if not all are sane drivers and respect the people around. Just because the govt. promises that public transportation is safe doesn't mean that we get to ride with the best bus drivers around. Believe it or not, some moron who was driving a Nano, 'overtook' a Skoda Superb by squeezing in between the Superb and the pavement. This was immediately after he narrowly avoided me. The big car had to swerve to avoid him. So, Nano or Indica, you don't need a powerful car for rash driving.
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, there was also an ad for some bike a few years ago, positioning it as a traffic cutter that chewed up other vehicles.
The only ad I remember supporting traffic rules was a Bajaj ad where the biker didnt cross a red signal, though a ministers flashing car honks at him (unshakeable or something)
the best ad I remember is that of a guy turning around to come and give an old lady a lift
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:52   #8
BHPian

If I am not wrong, the new TV ad for Indica is even worse with couple of cars and their occupants indulging in a game of paint ball while racing on open streets. Very irresponsible ad IMHO.

Is it indica or any other car? please correct if wrong.
Rodie09 is offline   Reply With Quote