Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th June 2015, 17:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Organic food

I love buying food stuffs at WholeFoods in America and in Nature's Basket in India.
On account of their huge consumer goodwill and quality brand names, I tend to trust them on the Organic Products.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 14:18   #32
BHPian

Hi All, Let me write some details I know about Organic. My wife reads a lot about Organic food and we do buy a lot of organic stuff here in US.

General Information
In India there is lot of abuse with respect to usage of pesticides and fertilizers than GMO. Usage of chemicals in India have not spread as much as it is in the West. Indian farmers have not gone to that extent yet. So we are just starting
In India what they call as Organic is only 33% and not 100% Organic due to various reasons
Not all products needs to be bought Organic, Thick skinned Fruits and Vegetables can be conventional. Vegetables, Fruits and Rice, Dhalls etc with thinner skin or used directly are ones we need to go Organic preferably.
It requires 3 years of continuous natural farming for the soil to lose the previously sprayed/ loaded fertilizers and pesticides
Even though there are awareness measure taken by Govt. of India, they are no enforced rules and regulations from Govt. even now. With Organic farming it is mostly governed by USDA.
Simple and best practice is thorough wash of the food atleast 3 times before use. It is the simplest and best.

Food Products
Milk & Egg
Milk, Egg are loaded with Antibiotics and stimulators. If there is an option, please move to Organic. For people in USA, Please move to Organic without hesitation. In India, if possible and available at reasonable cost. Indian farmers have also started used stimulators like pointed by another Tbhpian

Vegetables
Key vegetables to avoid if you don't get organic - Cauliflower, Bell pepper/Capsicum loaded with pesticide both in US and India
Carrot, Potato, Green leafy stuffs, Tomato are the next popular ones to be loaded with pesticides and chemical fertilizers

Fruits
Thick Skinned fruits like Jack fruit, Water Melons, Avocado don't need to be Organic
Pears, Plums, Grapes - Yes move to Organic. If possible leave the seedless ones that we get in Melons, Grapes, processed with chemicals that reduces seeds (read as Fertility), so we may get affected too. (No scientific proof though)
Banana in US, please buy Organic also there is not much a rate difference anyway. Banana in India - Please try to buy the small ones that we used to get when we were kids and leave the yellow colored new big ones which is genetically modified, loaded with pesticides and stimulants.

Rice/Dhall and Sugar
Rice/Dhalls – Preferably Organic and spend time to rinse them 3 to 5 times before use
For folks in US, Costco sells Organic Royal Sona masoori rice for $17, cheaper than the cost in Indian Grocery shops. Go for it guys, it cheaper and healthier
Sugar - The crystal white sugar that we get from branded companies is processed with lot of chemicals to get the white color. The Organic sugar that we buy here is sandy brown in color, yes it looks unclean but atleast less chemicals. I buy Organic Sugar also from Costco.

One of our uncles, who has renal disease; usually needs a Dialysis on alternate days; when they moved to Organic there was lot less chemicals dispensed out of system. He moved to 2 times a week Dialysis schedule in 3 months of using Organic.

They did three life style changes – Rinse all vegetables and rice 3 to 5 times, using Organic, cook any food for 10 minutes and drain that water out (Taste is lost). These changes in life improved his condition a lot, his Urea/Creatinine values improved.

In conclusion, let us give our kids a good health. It is like passing over 1 crore to them. I don’t have Organic farm or endorse anyone, infact an IT guy with a very nominal salary living in US of A.
Ananthang is offline   Reply With Quote