Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2011, 12:59   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Ampere bhai, was not able to go to the trek as I was completely down and out due to viral fever. But my friend went for the trek along with the guards. He sighted bisons and other wild life during the trek. Actually that was the worst part, listening to him talking about the wild life sightings, the omni present fog, etc. Sigh!!
I saw your update on the railway TL. Hope you have recovered by now.
Nothing bad like listening to a TL from someone, with whom you were supposed to go! More so, if its a trek!

Hoping to catch up with more.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:11   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Ampere bhai, was not able to go to the trek as I was completely down and out due to viral fever. But my friend went for the trek along with the guards. He sighted bisons and other wild life during the trek. Actually that was the worst part, listening to him talking about the wild life sightings, the omni present fog, etc. Sigh!!

Tell me about it!! You will definitely feel bad when you miss out something you wanted to do and it hurts even more hearing that you missed out on all the fun. I had enrolled for the Tiger Census here Karnataka last year and was supposed to go to BR Hills along with a friend. But, just a couple of days before the census was to begin, I was injured while playing badminton and could not walk. And this had to happen 2 days before the census. I had to be content hearing about the different sightings my friend had (no, he did not sight a tiger).
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 16:11   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore/Mysore
Posts: 399
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Actually that was the worst part, listening to him talking about the wild life sightings, the omni present fog, etc. Sigh!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nothing bad like listening to a TL from someone, with whom you were supposed to go! More so, if its a trek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Tell me about it!! You will definitely feel bad when you miss out something you wanted to do and it hurts even more hearing that you missed out on all the fun.
Completely agree.
I have missed what would have been the best trek so far for me.
it hurts even more if you yourself planned for the whole trek and finally ended up not going.
Me and my friend had planned a lot and finalised a trek in gangotri - gomukh - tapovan for 10 days, and finally I couldn't make it due to some issues at work I planned for the detailed itenerary, made all the travel bookings, planned for other activities like river rafting at hrishikesh and visit to corbett...finally, couldn't make it![2 smileys are not enough to convey my pain]
My friends who made it to the trek still make sure they rub it in whenever they get an opportunity
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 17:10   #79
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Me and my friend had planned a lot and finalised a trek in gangotri - gomukh - tapovan for 10 days
The Gangotri Tapovan thing reminds me. There used to be something called the
"Old Pilgrim's route from Gangotri to Kedarnath via Tapovan.

That used to be one of the most arduous treks. But looks like it's now been stopped by the authorities.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:41   #80
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

While looking through old snaps, found another one of the lake at Devarayanadurga.
It made me realize was how sunlight can change the texture of a place!
The water looked blue in snap which I posted before.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2391994

This updated snap, makes it look totally different. (All this difference in a matter of 15 minutes!)

The Trekking Thread-img_2476_dpp.jpg

I must say, its one amazing place for landscape photography!

Last edited by ampere : 19th August 2011 at 22:45.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 13:02   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Went on The Kailash Mansarovar yatra recently and realised that the Kumaon area and specially the Pithoragrah region is a beautifull place to trek.

Here is a map of the region which I have scanned from the Kumaon Mandal brochure attached. This indicates the trekking and other routes beautifully.

It can be used as reference who are going up north and looking for trekking routes

click on the picture for a larger map
Attached Thumbnails
The Trekking Thread-final.jpg  

deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 08:18   #82
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Very nice @deky!
It must be a divine experience going there.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 20:28   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very nice @deky!
It must be a divine experience going there.
Yes it was indeed. A complete test of one's stamina and endurance!!!

regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 20:29   #84
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 929
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Can any of you suggest a place where we can camp(something like pitch a tent, cook food, bonfire,etc..) for a night. I am fine if it includes little bit of trekking also but not difficult/moderate trekking.

Adding some more info:
Any place in karnataka, preferably with 300kms of bangalore.

Last edited by rk_sans : 29th August 2011 at 20:31.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:39   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Can any of you suggest a place where we can camp(something like pitch a tent, cook food, bonfire,etc..) for a night. I am fine if it includes little bit of trekking also but not difficult/moderate trekking.

Adding some more info:
Any place in karnataka, preferably with 300kms of bangalore.
There is a place called Kaginahare approx 45 kms from Sakleshpur. There is a small ruined fort at this place and surrounding this place are grasslands where there are places good enough to camp. You can try here. You can take your car till about 1 km to the fort.

Another place is Ballalarayanadurga. This is near Kalasa and also has an old fort out there. I'm not sure if it can be reached by a car, but you can reach there in an SUV or if you trek. Nearby homestays also offer camping options at this place.

Please note that is rainy season and it might be raining at these places which will make it tough to put up a fire.

A request: Please do not put blaring music and litter the place where you camp.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:57   #86
BHPian
 
Nutty Nair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 286
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Tracking at Thenmala.
The Trekking Thread-dsc02679.jpg
More pictures and log to follow in Travelogues section.
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:55   #87
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 929
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
There is a place called Kaginahare approx 45 kms from Sakleshpur. There is a small ruined fort at this place and surrounding this place are grasslands where there are places good enough to camp. You can try here. You can take your car till about 1 km to the fort.

Another place is Ballalarayanadurga. This is near Kalasa and also has an old fort out there. I'm not sure if it can be reached by a car, but you can reach there in an SUV or if you trek. Nearby homestays also offer camping options at this place.

Please note that is rainy season and it might be raining at these places which will make it tough to put up a fire.

A request: Please do not put blaring music and litter the place where you camp.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will get in touch for more info if required.

The pure idea to do camping is to be away from all electronic gadgets and enjoy the nature. Absolutely no littering also . Thanks for the suggestion
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 21:44   #88
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

@Addy,

- How good/helpful/effective was the Garmin eTrex?
Esp from a battery standpoint?
- Can you added extra pencil cell like battery (used as back-up)?
- What maps do you have for them? They should be terrain maps?
If yes, are they available in India?

(I thought I would post this in your TL, but on second thoughts, realized, this
thread would be better to have all trekking related details)

@Nutty, just one snap? Where is the story?
Addy has also left us in the forest!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:46   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Tracking at Thenmala.
Attachment 601793
More pictures and log to follow in Travelogues section.
Nutty, the picture is too inviting. Don't leave us high and dry. Put up the travelogue ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Addy,

- How good/helpful/effective was the Garmin eTrex?
Esp from a battery standpoint?
- Can you added extra pencil cell like battery (used as back-up)?
- What maps do you have for them? They should be terrain maps?
If yes, are they available in India?

(I thought I would post this in your TL, but on second thoughts, realized, this
thread would be better to have all trekking related details)

@Nutty, just one snap? Where is the story?
Addy has also left us in the forest!
My eTrex Vista H runs on 2 AA batteries. So, you can always carry extras. I used 2 Duracells on the trek and it lasted one whole day of continuous usage. I was recording the tracks as well as plotting the waypoints. So, I guess it was pretty good backup. I used it on the second day too, but don't remember when I changed it.

As far as maps are concerned, I never used any map. I don't think terrain maps are available for the Garmin here in India. It was just a base map of the world preloaded with the GPS unit.

Regarding the effectiveness, I had marked the Ombattu Gudda peak and other nearby landmarks for reference before we set out on the trek. These were just for reference, so that if we ever got lost, we would atleast have an idea where we were. We did get lost and all we did was follow the heading we took on a previously marked point.

Another thing was that we recorded tracks wherever we went. This would have helped us if we were lost and wanted to go back on the same route we came from.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:24   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: The Trekking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Another thing was that we recorded tracks wherever we went. This would have helped us if we were lost and wanted to go back on the same route we came from.
Addy thanks for that info. It would be very useful to build a db of tracks.
I hope these logs also get stored in the same GPX/GDB formats, which can be opened in Mapsource.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 men, a xylo and trekking in silent valley sijil.karim Travelogues 26 23rd November 2015 21:37
'Xing'ing around ! - Trekking in the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Thoovanam Waterfalls hotstuff Travelogues 34 26th October 2015 14:26
Once in a lifetime trip!! Trekking 96kms in 9 days to reach 13575ft. kpzen Travelogues 58 26th October 2008 16:23
Trekking equipment in Ladakh yogesh sarkar Route / Travel Queries 0 10th August 2007 18:29
Trip to and Trekking in Yelagiri Subbu Travelogues 2 5th January 2007 12:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks