Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th February 2011, 17:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Now, a password for your vehicle

Source: Now, a password for your vehicle - The Times of India

PUNE: Have you spent sleepless nights worried about the safety of your vehicle? Well, now you can be at ease. G Sankar Narayana, a technician in the Indian army and currently attached to the Queen Mary's Technical Institute (QMTI) at Khadki, has developed a security solution to prevent vehicle thefts.

The kit, developed by Narayana, has the facility to unlock and start the vehicle by entering a password which can prevent vehicle theft. The kit priced at Rs 270 has been developed using parts available in the local market. According to the police, on an average 3,000 cases of vehicle thefts are registered every year in Pune, which has a vehicle population of 20 lakh.

Narayana belongs to 127 Sata Regiment of Artillery (ARMY). Following an accident in Bikaner five years ago, he has been placed in a low medical category (LMC). He then enrolled at QMTI for a rehabilitation electrician training course.

To read the full article, please click the TOI link at the start of this post

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2011 at 20:27. Reason: Best to include an excerpt, and a link to the full article, with other websites. It's only fair
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 17:51   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Now, a password for your vehicle

270 bucks sounds very optimistic. But if it is built to prevent overriding, then it would be a great product. I always belive that in India we need to come up with local tech to answer local problems...

O.T: I have always been fan of the skybus mass transport system, its sad that non of the state govts adopted it. Last i read was that some middle east country is looking at this technology for their capital.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 18:07   #3
BHPian

At Rs.270 a piece, it would get mass acceptance even as a secondary security device co-existing with immobilisers and remote central locks even if chances of over-riding is substantial.

Looks very promising indeed.
mi2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:01   #4
BHPian

Sounds interesting, well from what i understand it will take some time to get mass acceptance. A point i want to make here is that when a Thief can disable an immobilizer will such a device work?

I mean professional criminals, may be deterred but then if one can disable any immobilizer a 270 buck kit may prove to be a cakewalk!

Anyways,hope this works!
Zappex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 03:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quite a cool thing to have. Remember the transporter movie where the driver enters a password to start the audi a8. Well this might be our chance to have a desi go at it. And At 270 its surprisingly affordable. Have you got any pics of it?
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 05:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

read the news on TOI, very good thing if successful. Can puneites who can get to this person throw more information on this ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 09:57   #7
BHPian

What if i forget password? Hope there is provision of "Forget password" recovery. ;-).
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 11:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Unless this disables the ECU from creating a spark or turning on the injectors, it is not going to work. You're shifting the weakness from the ignition cylinder to a small PCB which can be defeated in a few seconds/minutes.

I have something better for my Honda
Enter password using hidden switches and accel/brake pedal combinations. If you don't enter the right combination, car won't start because the ECU will not inject any fuel. If you swap the ECU, my car won't start at all. lol.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Unless this disables the ECU from creating a spark or turning on the injectors, it is not going to work. You're shifting the weakness from the ignition cylinder to a small PCB which can be defeated in a few seconds/minutes.

Enter password using hidden switches and accel/brake pedal combinations. If you don't enter the right combination, car won't start because the ECU will not inject any fuel. If you swap the ECU, my car won't start at all. lol.
that sounds interesting. Can you please explain where i can get such a product and how much would it cost me?
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yeah thats sounds really cool. What honda do you have? Is this is a diy project of yours?
Quote:

mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 18:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Since about 20 years select Ford, Mercury and Lincoln cars in the US have a keypad near the driver door handle that you can use to get in if you are locked out. This would be an extension of that feature.
Attached Images

Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 22:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:

+1
that's the way to go.

Any general solution and that too mass production will be defeated in short time. IMO each car should have some unique way to protect, by using a combination of various methods.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote