Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd March 2011, 10:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default I wish someone makes it for my car! Let the Edison in you wake up.

Well, everyone of us would like to have some creative gadget to help us out in typical situations, most of which could be genuine to Indian driving conditions. It pops up like a wish list item when you are in genuine trouble or something really gets into your nerves. That's the kind of situations your creative part of brain gets itchy and superb ideas pop out. I am sure there would have been many a situation in your life and i am inviting all Petrol-heads to share their instances here.
Please pour in maximum creativity to rattle our bones. Fun shall be guaranteed. Might turn out to be a reality too, who knows.!

Here is two from my side:
1. The hornilencer:
This gadget fitted in my car would immobilize and cut of the power supply to horns of all vehicles in 20 meter radius around me. When I move away more than 20 meters, their car horns come back to life. Shall exempt ambulances, fire trucks and other emergency vehicles.

2. The Spitback This is a small pipe that can spew a mixture smelling rot, fitted mainly in the front of the car, concealed and possibly camouflaged and spews a burst of the mixture on those two wheeler / auto driver and cab driver who spits a mouthful of Red stinky fluid right in front of your car at traffic lights, making you and your passenger go "Yiiiieeeeek".

Here is your turn, folks.!!!
P.S. Illustrations are also welcome.
(the idea of the thread was 'inspired' by the special seat belt for lady passeger that now everybody has seen.)
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I wish someone makes it for my car! Let the Edison in you wake up.

From my side;
1. Beamer
A device embedded in cars headlight which will force vehicles from opposite direction to use low beam when my car is on low beam!

2. ASB (Anti Scratch Bumpers)
Obvious use for obvious reasons!

3. Static Logos
Logos releasing heart shaking electric charge only when someone tries to remove them forcefully!

That's all I can think right now

Last edited by HammerHead : 3rd March 2011 at 11:44.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: I wish someone makes it for my car! Let the Edison in you wake up.

One from my side:

The Stumpers aka Steel bumpers
This would take all the impact without any damage to my car inflicting max damage to the plastic bumpered cars.

Others I wish my car would have all those gadgets as seen in the car Death Race movie which Jason Stratham drives.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:59   #4
BHPian

I try to contol my rage on the road as much as possible. But sometimes I certainly miss these:

1) THE IRIS FINDER: If the car behind you is on high beams, the iris finder would search for the driver's iris and give a shot of flashing laser beams.

2) HIGHWAY ASSIST: This should sense the average speed of cars and warn slower cars (that block the fast lane) to move to the left. A fine should be imposed on not moving after 3 warning. Very useful on the highways.

3) THE HAND OF GOD: This would be a hand fitted with a boxing glove. If the rickshaw infront of you irritates you and blocks your way, this hand will extend right upto it and punch him in the nose

PS: Someone please come up with a solution for the guys coming from the wrong side
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:15   #5
BHPian

@ RajaTaurus: Awesome start. And your points are very much valid for any sane driver.

Here is mine

1.Eardrum-Tearer: A horn should be fitted just on the head portion of the driver's seat so that when the driver honks quite a lot (have a threshold say this much decibel or something like that), it would engage itself making him deaf for sometime. By this, there will not be any unnecessary honking.

2.U-turn indicator: It might look stupid. But it is from my experience. I was once driving in the lane just next to the median with my right indicator on. And tried taking the U-turn at the signal (for Chennai-tes: Madhya Kailash signal). One biker from behind who wanted to take the right turn (into OMR) tried overtaking me even as I was taking the U. Bangg!! Multiple scratches and dent on the right side of my car. The police and myself caught this biker and blasted him away. This guy blatantly said that he thought that I was also taking a right turn and so overtook me.
And so, apart from the right/left indicator, wouldn't it be nice to have a right/left U-turn indicator??

3.Emoticon I remember one of our fellow BHPians telling this. To have a 'Thank You', 'Sorry' indicator to convey to the fellow drivers.
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
From my side;
1. Beamer
A device embedded in cars headlight which will force vehicles from opposite direction to use low beam when my car is on low beam!
@ Hammerhead, the 'beamer' is actually available and is called the autodipper. The other gadgets are great works of imagination and would certainly make life easier. Taking a cue from James Bond can we have a rotating shredder extending on cue from the wheels and shredding those of the guy driving on the wrong side of the meridian. Or at least a pump filled with black permanent dye which can be sprayed on the offender - 'The sprayer'.
dr_anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Vijay,
Yes, I had exactly the same collision at Balaji Bhavan signal while taking a U turn. It is my practice to go a bit left to get enough space for the U turn and this moron a bike tried to zip through that gap. He hit me on the right rear door and fell down, fortunately I was also moving and escaped with a two inch dent on the door, while he had some plastic parts in the front broken.! I think the good old "Put your hand out and make dosai signal" helps a lot, and Yes, I agree with you, it there is another indicator for that it could be useful. Well, who is giving attention to signals and indicators anyways, the banger will bang.!

Emoticon: good one too. I would like to add "You Idiot" banner also to this, to show to those who errs.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 3rd March 2011 at 12:39.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My wish list is simple.

1) A display unit in the windshield giving a view of my car from directly above the drivers seat at around 30-50 feet high letting me know the exact position of my car in real time.

2) 360 Degree wheels for easy parking

3) Auto car washing including polishing and interior cleaning( is this too much to ask)
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:05   #9
BHPian

Interesting thread....my wish list would be;

1) Intelligent tyres which senses, absorbs nails/ sharp objects which could cause puncture and puts in a collector!! Or a big magnetic strip before the tires - should take care of this!!
2) Scratch healer - any scratch will heal on it own & it will always look like a new car.
3) Windows to automatically close or down depending upon the external temperature/ wind pressure/ dirty locations, etc.,
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: I wish someone makes it for my car! Let the Edison in you wake up.

One more on my wishlist.

I wish my car would change the dimensions according to the parking space available. Of course I should be able to get in/out after parking.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've only one wish :

I must be the only one who owns a car with all the features that you guys have listed down here.

PS: Yes, I'm very selfish.
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:38   #12
BHPian

And, I saw this video on 5th wheel for parking. When they had it in 1950s itself, why can't we have it now??

callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
(the idea of the thread was 'inspired' by the special seat belt for lady passeger that now everybody has seen.)
Whats that? Never saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
And, I saw this video on 5th wheel for parking. When they had it in 1950s itself, why can't we have it now??

The best idea out of all outlandish ones yet!!
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Whats that? Never saw it.
Here you go :

Name:  New Seat Belt.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  94.4 KB
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:00   #15
BHPian

1. An aftermarket body kit that includes bull guards for the front, a similar retractable guard for the rear and side biker guards covering the entire length of the car. Sort of like roll bars on RC cars. Total protection against people driving close.

2. A camera mounted on the left ORVM seeing the front. This will aid when you as a single occupant are stuck behind a lumbering vehicle on right lane and want to know if there is anyone on left lane before you overtake. A sideways periscope is the low tech option.

3. As mentioned in a previous post, dedicated indicator for U-turn, going straight, overtake me from left, overtake me from right, Wait behind me, 'my-engine-is-off-will-start-in-x-seconds-do-not-honk',

Loving this thread!
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote