Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th January 2006, 12:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

wouldnt have posted in this thread if i wasnt from delhi..but i cant jus see someone doubting our "Capital worthiness"...ohh yes i am a regionalist..

firstly - you jus dont turn random cities into capitals, just because its development accelerated in the past 2 years..
i go back to delhi every 8-10 months and i witness a substantial amount of change and development each time...

secondly - who willl build the parliament in bangalore?, House of commons?,supreme court? where is the political infrastructure?

thirdly - look at the heritage left behind by our rulers in delhi..man the mughals ,the pandav ,indraprastha ? ever heard of bangalore in your history book?

urban planning is not the sole idea behind forming a capital, or else chandigarh should be on the top of the list ..a lot more goes into it ...

apologies if i offended anyone (especially bangalorians)..but the very doubt of such a thing is pretty ridiculous ..

cheers
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 12:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambylimo
no offence meant, franky i would never want to be in new delhi except for AUTOSHOWS n that one-off visit...delhi is red hot crime capital n civic sense is non-existent ..public administration is in shambles..roads n parks are in neat shape bt nt a reason enough..i think ahmedabad(not being bias) is a safe heaven...even during riots it was absolutely safe to move out...mumbai has its own charisma which nthin can undone ...i would love to be in mumbai anyday than in delhi...
This is what i wanted to say lol but seriously no offence meant , i have been to delhi couple of times and recently before 3-4 months i met a guy in delhi who was from mumbai but now lives in delhi because his factory is shifted to delhi and he was telling me how delhi is unsafe.Well roaming around in mumbai late nights is so safe so i thought lets go for a drive in delhi too and boy i couldnt see a person at 2am while mumbai dosnt even sleeps at 2am and its so pathetic when you ask the way they dont even tell properly also it sucks man.Capital not only means where theres history but the city should be the safest city of that country and the system can be reborn at another city too yes its not simple theres too much of investment but i personally dont think delhi should be the capital as it shows its not the safest city of India at all
IndianDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 12:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

what makes you think your preferred city will be safe once its made the capital????

delhi unlike mumbai is not as congested ,so you do get empty roads at night but it is never dead...
try going to kolkata ,i was there at 8pm on a saturday night in Park Street not a soul present except me and my cousin..

we never stop complaining ..mauka mila to baja diya huh?
Old 10th January 2006, 12:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
what makes you think your preferred city will be safe once its made the capital????

delhi unlike mumbai is not as congested ,so you do get empty roads at night but it is never dead...
try going to kolkata ,i was there at 8pm on a saturday night in Park Street not a soul present except me and my cousin..

we never stop complaining ..mauka mila to baja diya huh?
yeah so when did i say make kolkata capital man lol
Old 10th January 2006, 13:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
infact i ve had a couple of friends come down from delhi and tell me that people around bombay are so much better when it comes to helping some lost soul and stuff.
manson.
No offence meant but people in Mumbai helping lost souls and stuff? Gimme a break, no one has the time in Mumbai!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 13:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianDawg
This is what i wanted to say lol but seriously no offence meant , i have been to delhi couple of times and recently before 3-4 months i met a guy in delhi who was from mumbai but now lives in delhi because his factory is shifted to delhi and he was telling me how delhi is unsafe.Well roaming around in mumbai late nights is so safe so i thought lets go for a drive in delhi too and boy i couldnt see a person at 2am while mumbai dosnt even sleeps at 2am and its so pathetic when you ask the way they dont even tell properly also it sucks man.Capital not only means where theres history but the city should be the safest city of that country and the system can be reborn at another city too yes its not simple theres too much of investment but i personally dont think delhi should be the capital as it shows its not the safest city of India at all
oh yeah! just like Washington DC is the safest city in USA!!! (if you still don't get it, this is sarcasm)
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 15:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
No offence meant but people in Mumbai helping lost souls and stuff? Gimme a break, no one has the time in Mumbai!
A major misconception about people in Mumbai, Suman. Probably you did not follow the 26/7 incident carefully.

People are always short of time here, never of heart.
Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 15:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
As for rudeness, I found people in south were politer. My wife's observation is that they have much more respect for women than delhi.
Aboslutely agree to this statement. I dunno how we ended with behaviour patterns from a weird question of capitals but heck I agree, on my trip to Tirupati for a wedding last year we did realise the great respect women (I was travelling with my wife, mom and mom in law !!!!) got there.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 16:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
when there was huge water logging in mumbai 26/7 people use to provide food and water outside the streets even at the western express highway which was full jam packed. There are so many other people who stayed somebody's house whom they dont even know them. Its true mumbai city has no time for anyone but in a good way not in a bad way
Old 10th January 2006, 22:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

i myself have been lost so many times always had someone help me out with directions... this time i got a speed ticket and i was short of cash as i was coming back from a pub ..this uncle who was ticket too helped me out with 200 bucks...

IMHO this thread is getting pretty lame ..
Old 10th January 2006, 22:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah so when did i say make kolkata capital man lol
i referred to kokata because it used to be the capital and is one of the important cities of india .
Old 12th January 2006, 17:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when there was huge water logging in mumbai 26/7 people use to provide food and water outside the streets even at the western express highway which was full jam packed. There are so many other people who stayed somebody's house whom they dont even know them. Its true mumbai city has no time for anyone but in a good way not in a bad way
26/7 was a one in a million situation and IMHO cannot be used as a yardstick for measuring the indifference of an average Mumbai-ite. No offence meant but that's a fact - they have NO time for anyone, perhaps not even for themselves
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 19:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they have NO time for anyone, perhaps not even for themselves
I know. That kind of prevents the guys (well most of them) from molesting anything female on two legs (or four). Unlike those in the capital.

P.S. Sorry for the sarcasm. But you have to stay in Mumbai to understand Mumbai. That indifference is just on the surface. People are desperately trying to make their life here.

--------------------------------------------------

To Sivadas.

And I was lucky to see your post before I replied to Ajmat's. LOL. Funny thing is that I was reading up on Daulatabad fort in preparation for a forthcoming trip to Aurangabad.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 19:46   #59
BHPian

Wohoo..the discussion's got a little hot !!

Well I have done my schooling from Delhi..studied in Mumbai for 2 years, Bangalore for 2 years, Chennai for 6 months & now Hyderabad for 2 years..

So basically have been a non-resident Delhite for the past 12 years..

Delhi does keep on amazing me w.r.t the Infrastructure & the enthusiam of the people there..
IMO..Delhites are much more enthusiastic & pro-active..to prove that their city aspires to be 1 of the best in the world..& work/elect people who do that..
Whilst Mumbai just dreams of being Shanghai( with 50% of its population living in slums !!)..& most Bangaloreans starting from Narayan Murthy..just whine...about the pathetic Infrastructure...

Although..Mumbai still is the numero uno city as the "city of dreams"..

Security is a concern in Delhi..Yes..& an area for improvement..& I think Delhites will be the 1st ones to acknowledge this..
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2006, 20:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
Whilst Mumbai just dreams of being Shanghai( with 50% of its population living in slums !!)..& most Bangaloreans starting from Narayan Murthy..just whine...about the pathetic Infrastructure...

Hey there. Hold it a second will ya? Mumbai-ites (at least this one) want Mumbai to remain Mumbai minus the slums, which are more of a political problem in the first place. Shanghai is a dream of the politicos. South Mumbai will be a sorrier place without the quaint old buildings and the trees. Take the skyscrapers to Navi Mumbai please. Just give us cleaner roads and build proper houses for the poor.

And regarding the infra, dont get the Mumbai-ite started. Otherwise he will start pulling out figures which show Mumbai is getting a very raw deal from the Central Goverment. The money flowing back to the city is not commensurate to the money it generates. Delhi on the other hand ....

Delhi however, is suited to be the capital. Always has been. Always will be. No doubt about that. It has the history of being one. Let things stay that way.

Mumbai is fine as the NYC of India. So what if we have small houses and traffic jams? Nothing beats the spirit of Mumbai, its locals or its vada pavs.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote