Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 20th March 2011, 12:48   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default re: PhD Thread

Slightly OT: The entire series of Flop Show is a treasure. A must watch.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
PhD can be done part time.You have to find a good guide and register with a university Which accpets him as guide. then it will be between you and guide. you have write one exam ( i think so, iam from professional university, so do not know much about general universities)
Hi RKG, indeed a good thing to have info from people like you and dot in this group.

Can I know how I can go about an select my guide if I want to search for one.

I was thinking the thing is other way round, where I approach the university and they will allot me the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
That is a good enough reason, but one has to weigh the cost of time and effort investment and return.
I happen to be a doctorate. In graduate school, I had clear intention to pursue industrial R&D after PhD. In fact if you are not a PhD, career in industrial (science and engineering) R&D is exceptionally hard. My career has materialized. So things are fine.
Good to know your field of knowledge sir, I am thinking of something less intense something in IT/ Mgmt / Marketing etc.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 12:49   #18
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi RKG, indeed a good thing to have info from people like you and dot in this group.

Can I know how I can go about an select my guide if I want to search for one.

I was thinking the thing is other way round, where I approach the university and they will allot me the guide.

Good to know your field of knowledge sir, I am thinking of something less intense something in IT/ Mgmt / Marketing etc.
One approach is to join a university and they will allot a guide.

Second is find a guy who is registered as guide with a university and then apply for that university with the person as guide

Most of the general universities ( i.e; other than IIM, IIT, IISC, Professional Universities) do not have a course work for PhD and hence one need attend classes. what matters is guide.
one has to write a exam thats all

In IIT, IIM and Prof universities one has to attend classes for a period of may be a year or so and has to be full time.

So find out a guy in your chosen filed and proceed
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 15:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But if you want to di in IISC, IIT, IIm it is full time. general universities it need not be
IIT and IISc also take part time students, but that is under sponsored category. I am not sure if self-financed candidates are allowed.

Again acceptance is up to the guide. He should OK to accept, provided the student clears the entrance (written/interview).

But the problem (or rather a good thing to happen) is that, recently Phd intakes have also increased many folds in these colleges. Students have started seeing value in a Phd from IISc/IIT as against a foreign university. To motivate this option, IISc/IIT also now accept Phd students directly after first degree (this is true even in engg streams and not in science alone).

So the end result is that faculty in these places have their hands full with bright young talents and hence they dont want part time students from industries. So, even if in theory the part time PHD program exists, one finds it difficult to get a guide to accept the student.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 09:21   #20
Team-BHP Support

PhD abroad can also be bad. For example, PhD in education has become quite a farce. These excerpts are from a book I owned long back, I have misplaced it.

Name:  Image001.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  101.4 KB

PhD Thread-image002.jpg

PhD Thread-image0021.jpg
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 09:46   #21
knp
BHPian

One of my friends, who has completed M.Sc in Bio-chemistry also interested to do Ph.D in their relevant areas. She has been trying for last few years and could not able to get any admission.
Do you guys have any suggestion of offers where she can do it in part-time, especially in/around Bangalore?
knp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 10:51   #22
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
One of my friends, who has completed M.Sc in Bio-chemistry also interested to do Ph.D in their relevant areas. She has been trying for last few years and could not able to get any admission.
Do you guys have any suggestion of offers where she can do it in part-time, especially in/around Bangalore?
Part time PhD in Bio chemistry is very difficult. Only way is to join some CSIR lab and do it by registering with some general univ.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

+1 to what rkg mentioned. Biochemistry is a field of experiments. Hence part time would not make sense till one is associated with a lab and is also involved in the work which would lead to a phd.

If the person is strictly seeking Phd in this field, he should look for full time and give it at least 4-6 years.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
If I may ask, what benefit do you think you will get if you get a Ph.D.degree? If getting a doctorate degree is a means to get a better job, or better thinking ability, by all means one should do it. However for just a degree sake, I feel it has little value. During my Ph.D time I saw a lot of folks who did it because they had nothing else to do or it was timepass. Most of them regret later that it was many years wasted. People who genuinely enjoyed the grind did well later.
If i was a PHD, i would rather use it towards helping the society rather than help myself. I would feel so guilty otherwise.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 15:54   #25
knp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1 to what rkg mentioned. Biochemistry is a field of experiments. Hence part time would not make sense till one is associated with a lab and is also involved in the work which would lead to a phd.

If the person is strictly seeking Phd in this field, he should look for full time and give it at least 4-6 years.
My sincere thanks to both of you for the inputs. What's this CSIR lab? How to get into these? Any references would be really appreciate.
knp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 16:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
My sincere thanks to both of you for the inputs. What's this CSIR lab? How to get into these? Any references would be really appreciate.
CSIR is the central govt's body. (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research).
There may be many govt/private labs affiliated to CSIR and may also have a tie-up with the local university of the place.

For example one can pursue Phd at BARC in Bombay and but degree would be awarded by Bombay University.
(Please note this is an example. BARC is not affiliated to CSIR).

Last edited by ampere : 11th July 2011 at 16:59.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:03   #27
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If i was a PHD, i would rather use it towards helping the society rather than help myself. I would feel so guilty otherwise.
Noble. Giving it back and all. However there are many means to it. I would give it back to society by the course of availability of employment.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 18:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Is PhD the only degree you would feel guilty about? Or that's a general feeling?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 23:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

In a strict sense Phd is not something, which reduces your field. This is big misnomer, And it happens because, folks who complete their Phd try to seek jobs in the same field.

Phd is something which just teaches how to identify and a problem define it and then solve it. Since we are not adept at the stage, we have a guide who supervises this journey.
At a post doc stage, its now established, that you can tackle a problem (IDS: Identify, define & solve). So they give limited funds and see if you achieve the same thing independently.
If good then you graduate to the next stage of supervising others to "IDS" a problem.

Its just that we also use the same realms to enter industry. Hence if not a BTech/MTech, we use the Phd angle as just another degree to gain entry.
Old 12th July 2011, 00:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I believe most PhD seats in Indian colleges are taken up by middle aged lecturers, for the sole purpose for becoming professors. None of them really have any interest in research, and often take 5-6 years to barely make it happen.
Take out the "middle aged" part, and it is still valid. And substitute "sole purpose of become professors" with "getting 3 advance increments and promotions".

Heck, a professor in any other country is a person who has made substantial contributions in their field of study. Here, a professor merely means the person who earns most.

Quote:
IITs are the dream destinations for pedigree seeking future professors. My friend who is an IIT professor shudders at the quality of PhD students he encounters. I wonder how the lesser universities fare.
No better. You can take it from me. I have tried proof reading couple of theses and can assure you that I gave up when I found that I am ending up actually re-writing the garbage

I once had misfortune of attending the "open defence" of a Ph.D. candidate, whose subject of Ph.D was insurance law. After listening to what seemed to me like carp, I asked her what "indemnity" is. (if you do not get it - it is like asking a guy doing Ph. D in pneumatic tyres who Dunlop is, and getting an answer like "it is a brand owned by the Tatas" - go figure out the mistakes in it). She started blabbering, and her guide skilfully changed topics. She ended up as department head at a national university.

Quote:
If I may ask, what benefit do you think you will get if you get a Ph.D.degree? If getting a doctorate degree is a means to get a better job, or better thinking ability, by all means one should do it. However for just a degree sake, I feel it has little value. During my Ph.D time I saw a lot of folks who did it because they had nothing else to do or it was timepass. Most of them regret later that it was many years wasted. People who genuinely enjoyed the grind did well later.
Quote:
PhD or DBA after MBA does not add much value unless you want to become an academic/researcher.
Yes, Ph. D., as the University Grants Commission of India has designed it, is a gateway to a cushy source of income as a teacher in a college in India.

Note that I have not used the term "teaching career".

But, Ph. D., (or its equivalent) does add some value to you. Problem starts when you view the qualification as adding value to your CV.

Quote:
Iam a PhD holder, did it because iam into research where it is required for career progression
Nice to hear that.

For those looking at a Ph. D., as a gateway to a teaching post, please have a look at UGC's guidelines issued some time in early 2000s, (IIRC, 2003) for grant of Ph D.,

A Ph.D., course if done honestly, involves extensive work, often running into even 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, 32 days a month. No exaggeration. And it WILL take more than 3 years. You will need to get at lest 2 drafts of the thesis approved by your guide.

If anybody is interested, will post a guide on how to get a doctorate the honest way later on. I myself do not have one, but have seen the process up close.

Heck, will post another guide on how to get one the dishonest way too. Only if there is demand.

Edit 2:- quite a few organisations (I specifically mean the private ones) do look for Ph. D., qualifications in several subjects - Economics and statistics, biotechnology, technology, research, etc. A qualification acquired in the honest means does have its value. This is apart from PSUs and govt. organisationslike RBI, most Oil & mining PSUs, etc., who look for doctorate qualifications in several fields.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 12th July 2011 at 00:31. Reason: Made parts gender neuteral
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote